How do I help him study?

EvaGina

So, my bf has exams coming up. He is a procrastinator...

He is by FAR smart enough to be getting top of the class (civil engineering)... as its stands he is in the top 3 and never studies... whereas the other 2 in the top 3 study their butts off.

Anyways, he is starting ot freak out, he has left his study quite late and that pressure is making him LESS able to study. Someone out there must know what that is like... I do.

Anyways, I help him as much as I can. I am supportive and stuff. Ill make him cups of tea and food and stuff while he studies. I went out and talked to the health shop people and got him all these supplements to help his brain fuel up.

But he is still very stressed. He isnt sleeping well and he woke me up last night upset. I think he finds it really daunting, he hasnt been in the education system since he left school at 16.

I think that if I was to get involved activly in his study, he would find it a lot less stressfull. I have offered to do the whole flash cards thing with him, and I get him to tell me about what he is learning... but does anyone have any ingenious little tricks they can tell me?

Thanks

yeah, just let your boyfriend study on his own. engineering isn't exactly something you can do "flashcards" for. he's going to have to learn how to motivate himself to study. I would recommend during his finals week, maybe just dropping off some food for him, and then leave him alone to study. if he calls you and asks you to a movie, tell him yes, but after his tests are done.

Wow E you are such a fab girlfriend! Hope he realizes how lucky he is...

I really think there is little you can do beyond what you are already doing: providing support, comfort and reassurance.

He'll just need to get his head into the books, and continuous cups of tea help a lot (at least they did me!)

Confidence is half the battle with exams, and I'm sure your reassurance is already helping him. It's a REALLY stressful time and tempers can get a little frayed...I would actually think that leaving him on his own for protracted periods of time would help more. Wouldn't he find you rather, eh, distracting? ;-)

Hes only first year, so tis not too hard out at the moment. For matericals he already has flash cards... Ill help him with those.

I know I cant help with Maths or anything... but for the subjects I understand...

Im not seeing him for the next few days. but when I am with him and he is studying, I just do my own thing and let him work. When its all too much for him he comes to me for comfort. I dont want to NOT be there when hes stressed and needs someone. His parents are really cool, but they arent the "cuddle" type

Practice exams are a great idea... I dont think there are any tho. Ill mention them and see what he says, if he has been offered any. Yer. The cups of tea and patience are what I am doing so far. I also gave him a letter pledging him next weekend. We are going to hole up in my house, away from chores and family obligations, and he will just study while I "serve" him.

I wish I could activly help.. Its so different to what I was studying when I was with my ex, he could help me with my design... I feel so useless not being able to assist Mat!!

ok, I emailed him this:

Hey, I had an idea. Can you get practice exams from Tech to help you study?

Its poohs not having credit on my phone, but anyways...

If you cant sleep, if you are stressing out, like last night... there is a phone right next to my bed (it crakles!), so you can call me anytime... ok?

If you want company, or somewhere to study where you wont be interuppted by family obligations (dishes and what-not) you are welcome to come to mine. I shall supply you with tea and food and whatever you need. Ill try not to distract you.

If there is anything... ANYTHING I can do to help, please tell me

I know you'll do fantastically well in your exams, you are super smart, you just havnt realised it yet. I know how you feel... leave it a little too late to study and then get anxious, which makes it HARDER to study...

anyways, yup, Im available any time for you my dear... for anything

Love you, hope your day is awesome and you feel better

-mwah-

Do you think thats ok?

Hes so stressed I dont want to make him feel put-upon

Looks OK. The idea of practice exams/past exams help a lot to get a perspective of what the exam will be like.

You bf is a lucky guy to have someone who encourages him so much. Don't worry - if hes as smart as you say he is then he'll ace the exam. Smart people may procrastinate but somehow they have a way of assimilating information when it matters most.

Archived