First time sex: are condoms enough to protect me from pregnancy?

strawberry17

I have decided to lose my virginity with my boyfriend next weekend. My plan is to go see my doctor after New Years and get on the pill in the long run. I was wondering whether it is safe and responsible to use only condoms as a contraceptive method in the meantime? I can't get an appointmen sooner than later next month and would prefer not to have to wait until then. I didn't think to be concerned about using just condoms for a few weeks but one of my friends seems to think this is irresponsible and very risky. Is it truly that much riskier than using the pill if the condoms are used correctly and we are very careful?

Any advice?

They are one of the lesser effective methods. They are to protect from STD’s. Since you are inexperienced it is likely they will be even less effective. Your friend is right and unwanted pregnancy is not to be taken lightly. Your fertility in general is not to be taken lightly and contraceptives can cause all sorts of problems. I would recommend serious research before making your choice.

When I was dating my wife and we definitely didn't want children we ALWAYS used two forms. Typically the pill and condoms. Now we do IUD and condoms.

It is a pretty big thing to leave to chance.

If you do decide on just condoms make sure you are not having sex several days before and a couple after your ovulation.

Still nowhere near as good as two forms but better than just condoms.

Condoms, especially used with inexperienced individuals, can vary a lot on efficacy.

If it is your first time things might not be the most lubricated and a micro tear is a lot more likely.

The pill is very very effective WHEN taken at the same time (+ or - 15 minutes).

If you guys decide on relying only on the condom I would advise that he practices putting them on beforehand. These are easy to put on inside out when you are first starting to use them, and when that happens it will slide off like greasy chicken skin. And as always, never use sharp objects or teeth to open the wrapper, and be mindful of the expiration date. There is also a temperature range for these so if they've been in a hot car or out in the cold, it's no good.

One of my good friends is an OBGYN and he says that any hormonal treatment is extremely dependent on consistent application. I trust him enough for me to believe him.

I think that just proves a point that OP needs to talk to a doc. My docs have told me that’s a rumor and just general consistency is important.

When I was not on the pill I could get pregnant just by passing someone on a crowded train. On the pill, with reasonably good but far from perfect scheduling, I couldn't have gotten pregnant with a turkey baster.

If precision is your worry, patch.

Whatever your worry, I guarantee having an unwanted pregnancy is a much bigger one.

Try this: Go to any lecture hall on a college campus. Ask the students using BC, and the guys whose gfs use BC, to stand. There won't be an empty seat in the place.

Archived