Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pretty sure he's the one... just one problem

CN367

Pretty sure he's the one... just one problem

Ive been dating this man and everything is going really smoothly. I feel like I would like to make it official eventually and he feels the same way.

Theres just one problem.... I contracted hsv-1 in June and im very scared this may be a deal breaker. We have been on three dates so far and we havent talked about sexuality yet. Im not sure how or when I should bring it up...

Any advice is appreciated.

figureitout23
    So I'm not all that well versed but HSV-1 it's like cold sores right?

It's super early, too early to know if he's 'the one' but I'd deffinetely tell him before anything sexual happened, including kissing if it is the cold sore one. he has a right to know.

Are you the poster that didn't tell the guy until after you slept together?

LHGirl
    Forum Supporter
    Yes, HSV-1 is the "cold sore" one. It's estimated that over 70% of people are HSV-1 positive. I am actually. If you've ever had chicken pox, you are very likely HSV-1 positive. In many cases, such as mine, there are never any outward signs. In fact, I found out when I had an extensive STD screen, as I was particularly looking for HSV-2, as I had been exposed to that. I was negative for 2, but positive for 1.

Sure, you could tell him, but it's really not a big deal. Here's the only thing: if you do get a cold sore, and you perform oral sex, you can give him herpes sores on his penis. This would technically be herpes, but it would be HSV-1 vs. HSV-2. I would for sure tell him then.

To put your mind at rest, do a google search on HSV-1. It's the virus that your body gets during chicken pox. Once you're over the chicken pox, your body holds a small amount of its virus forever, and builds up antibodies to surround the virus, to prevent you from ever getting it again. This is how vaccines work, and it's the reason you'll likely never get chicken pox again. So, because the antibodies are always there, you'll always test positive for them.

This is why HSV-1 is so common.

CN367
    No im definately telling him beforehand. And thats a ways away yet. And yeah too early for the one thing but i have a good feeling about it is all

As for the cold sore part i get outbreaks "down there". Its not as easily transmitted to men as it is to women and condoms dont completely protect it I believe. However there are ways to manage it . Im just worried itll ruin it i have a lot of anxiety about "the talk".

LHGirl
    Forum Supporter
    Ok, we cross-posted. So you do have HSV-1 "down there".

How do you know it's 1 vs. 2?

CN367
    @LHGirl Hsv-1 is not only cold sores near the mouth, it is less frequent but can also locate in the genital area... its actually super painful the first outbreak. And the rest not so bad however ive gotten quite a few and im debating going on suppressive therapy like my doctor suggested.

SherrySher
    You need to be very straight forward with him and to let him know that you will have outbreaks and you won't be able to have sex without condoms...ever. And there is no cure.

It's only right that he has all the facts so he can make an informed decision on whether he is okay to stay in a relationship with you or not.

I am not trying to be harsh but I believe that it's only right to be as honest as possible.

And truthfully, you need to tell him as soon as you start getting more intimate and way way before sex is even on the table.

CN367
    I got diagnosed with hsv-1 from my doctor he took a swab from my first outbreak.

LHGirl
    Forum Supporter
    I know what genital HSV-1 outbreaks are.

Again: how do you know it's 1 vs. 2?

LHGirl
    Forum Supporter
    Ok, you did get confirmation. I'd definitely tell him, and abstain from sex when you are prodromal, and obviously also during outbreaks.

ETA: Prodromal is the tingly feeling you get at the site of the sore, just prior to outbreak. You will be experiencing viral shedding, and you are contagious then, even if the sire has not erupted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Top Threads
My new boyfriend has a close attractive female friend
I started dating this guy about 6 weeks ago. We usually see each other 2-3 times a week and he calls me on the phone every night. He seems super into
Help! Having THAT conversation with someone...are we friends or more?
Okay, so me and this guy have been casually dating since June. We never talked about getting serious but have kept in pretty constant contact since
Is he overreacting??
My boyfriend bought my daughter a mini drone for her 10th birthday and gave it to her early. He surprised her with it, she got excited of course, and
How do you cope with insecurity when dating?
I've never liked myself much when it comes to looks (I've got certain issues) and that's one thing that bothers me a lot when trying to go on dates
How to tell her I want to explore my options
So I had that bad breakup almost 6 months ago. Been good lately, started dating. Met quite a few. But I have been getting close to serious with one
I got fed up that it wasnít going anywhere, did I do the right thing walking away?
I have a thread already but thought this deserved a seperate topic. Had two great dates with a girl. Before the first date we were communtating a
Dating is confusing
Hi everyone! I am new here. I enjoy reading the post and the warm responses from everyone. Such a great site I joined a dating site and a nice

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice