Am I asking for too much in salary requirements?

Hi all,

I am preparing to make an offer on a position that would require me to relocate from the South Jersey/Philadelphia region to the Washington D.C. area. Ive only had two real jobs and this move will likely bump up my salary quite a bit. However, I am not extremely well versed in negotiating salary and I want to see if I am coming off as too expensive in what I am looking for.

I have six years experience in my field and a masters degree with certifications... and the job requires that a masters within my field be completed in order to be eligible for the job.

So my point of view on this is that I will need a hefty raise in order to relocate. If I am making 60k a year in my current city, then the increased cost of living would make my salary equivalent to about 74k in the D.C. area. However, as anyone would, I am looking for a general salary increase of 20% because I am advancing my career, I have to move, and because I meet the maximum requirements for the job. So in my offer, I would like to tack on an extra 20% to my current salary would equate to in D.C. so it would be 74k +20% which equals about 89k. Am I being fair? Would the employer see this as being greedy or too exorbitant? This is the first time that cost of living comes into play for me and I want to make sure that I am getting a fair salary. If I were to be paid 74k, that is the same as what I would hypothetically be making now... and the move wouldn't benefit me in terms of salary...

Check Glassdoor.

But if they ask about salary, tell them your old salary but mention cost of living and such. Just be tactful. Be prepared with Glassdoor ahead of time - "it looks like the range of salaries for this position is X - Y, and I'm primarily seeking to be compensated fair market value"

Are they paying for relocation? If not then the relocation expenses and decision to relocate are on you. I don't agree that most people ask for 20% above their current salary because there are other reasons to switch jobs. Also consider the level of competition for the job - perhaps many others have the academic degrees/certificates you do.

Ask around as to what the typical salary is in DC for your position. That should help too.

Check Glassdoor.

But if they ask about salary, tell them your old salary but mention cost of living and such. Just be tactful. Be prepared with Glassdoor ahead of time - "it looks like the range of salaries for this position is X - Y, and I'm primarily seeking to be compensated fair market value"

I've checked glassdoor. Nobody has reported salaries for that position from the company I am applying with. I have found salaries for the position with other companies, however due to variation, I am not sure how accurate they are, and what cities those salaries are being posted from.

I think it's fair. You could ask the company what was the salary range they're paying. You're in the driver's seat somewhat because you're employed in a job already and THEY need to make it worth your while to quit and move to DC. And you could find DC to be even more expensive than the charts will tell you so you should definitely set your rate at 20% more.

Salary negotiations are always the toughest part of the interview process. But you can sometimes gain respect by not setting your requirements too low.

I think it's fair. You could ask the company what was the salary range they're paying. You're in the driver's seat somewhat because you're employed in a job already and THEY need to make it worth your while to quit and move to DC. And you could find DC to be even more expensive than the charts will tell you so you should definitely set your rate at 20% more.

Salary negotiations are always the toughest part of the interview process. But you can sometimes gain respect by not setting your requirements too low.

i don't agree with the relocation part -it depends if they really want him and not other qualified candidates who might be in the area and whether they're willing to pay relo expenses

i don't agree with the relocation part -it depends if they really want him and not other qualified candidates who might be in the area and whether they're willing to pay relo expenses

I understand your point of view and I feel that I would be naive to think that I am the only one to be offered the position. They told me that they are looking to move quickly and that they would be offering me some sort of relocation package to get me down there quickly. However, I am of the belief that relocation should not impact my overall salary. I have family that lives in that region already, and I was already told that I wouldnt be able to live down there on my current salary.

To be frank, and not for any lack of sympathy for having to relocate (have done it several times... not the funnest), the relocating is your business. Especially when you're considering DC and not some podunk town in the middle of nowhere that's struggling to lure folks in, you're not the only one qualified and willing to relocate to the Capitol. I think your instinct is right that it's probably not the best cause to push.

Without local comps, being able to support your preferred salary range can be tough. What you might try to do is look up some data on the salary bumps from your current position to the new position in other areas and apply the average increase to your situation. Anything you can do to make an argument that goes beyond simply, "I'm advancing my career and want another 20%."

But if, at the end of the day, don't lowball yourself. If, even after all the research, you still can't come up with a supported figure for a salary, I'd feel free to negotiate higher. I mean you're not asking 6-digits, so I'm not sure they'd be offended.

Having just messed this up myself by lowballing myself I think you should go in high and expect to negotiate from there. D.C. is a VERY expensive city to live in.

I lived in DC. It is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. I was making 50K and had to get roommates (my boyfriend was even a nurse, still wasn't enough). It is NOT uncommon for people to live with roommates. It is the norm for big families to live altogether to make ends meet. You may think about living outside of the city.

$74K will get you to live comfortably, but it's not much of an advance salary compared to the cost of living.

Employers already know the cost of living there. They are going to offer what they will.

I would definitely ask HR what the salary range is for the position you want. This is not confidential information. However, if a company refuses to share that information with you when you ask, then move on. They plan to pay as little as possible to employees. It should be a fair wage for a fair day's work.

I would also use a combination of where your experience/education/specialized skills places you in the range along with the cost of living increase (provide screen shots of the online calculators if needed) to negotiate for the salary you want. If relocation is not offered to you, ask for a signing bonus as well.

Archived