I've been messed up over my pass relationship for the last 6 months. We were in love, lived together, perfect for eachother from the outside. The relationship failed as he's a cocaine addict and naturally because of this he lied. I've moved, got a cat and have some amazing friends but I cannot stop thinking about him even though he's wrong for me. I still love him and miss him every day. I ignored him for months and he would walk out of places when he would see me. Last week he came up and apologised for everything, sobbed about his choices and what he's done but I felt myself just falling into his trap again. He's lost weight, only due to his weekly coke binges and behind the mask of happiness from alcohol and drugs I know he's miserable. Jobless, back to living with his parents at 29 and very alone other than his druggie mates. I haven't spoken or contacted him since. But I can't stop thinking about him all the time. I just want to forget about it all but it's a real challenge, anyone know how to move on from a toxic love or deal with being in love with someone who isn't right for you?

Toxicity has a habit of sticking to you like sludge for quite a while afterwards, FeelingB.

However, you eventually get to scrape off all the sludge. It is always perplexing that the more toxic any relationship the more grief there is afterwards (complicated grief).

A good book:

Why do I do that by Dr. Joseph Burgo

I was in a toxic relationship as well. Took me forever to move on from it.. some days I still think about it. I hated it when people said this to me, but the truth is, it takes time. I dated someone else after (that didn't work out either!) But at least this time around is was a healthy, adult relationship. I saw that I could be in a good, loving relationship. They helped me move on from all the thoughts I had about my previous ex. Keep doing positive things for yourself. Meet as many people as you can. Stay close with family and friends. Eventually you will realize he wasn't right for you - and at some point will even stop thinking of him.

Archived