cihlak

I feel that I am at the end of my patience and feel very down in the dumps. I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years now. I knew early on that he was battling depression and anxiety. He does see a psychiatrist and is trying to battle these two inner demons, which I completely support. But for the last year and a half, he has spiraled out of control in self medicating in any drug he can get his hands on. He has tried a lot: dxm, alcohol, benzo's, pot, hookah, tobacco, many anti-depressants, and a few different anti anxiety medications. Some of these substances did nothing for him and the ones that do do something for him, he is growing more tolerant and more dependent. He overdoses on his anti-depressant so much that it barely lasts two weeks after he had it refilled. He combines some of his medications with alcohol on almost a daily basis. It seems the only time I see him now is when he is high and wants to stay in his own world by listening to music and playing video games, or when he is on the next day trying to recover from the high and doesn't feel like doing much. He knows it upsets me and the people around him and he promises to try harder to fight his addictions. I have urged him to join a support group, try seeing a doctor to help treat these addictions, or trying rehab but he won't try any of these methods. Instead, he came up with a list of reasons why he shouldn't be so high all the time as a way to keep himself disciplined. He claims that the list works, but he never uses it and continues to get high much of the time. Every time he sobers up, he feels bad and says I don't deserve the way he treats me while high, but he still does it and it never really changes. I want to help him control his substance intake, but I am running out of options and patience. I do feel selfish for running low on patience, but no matter what I try, taking the substances away, expressing my anger and hurt, or threatening to get him kicked out of the house (he lives with his father), it doesn't work. He always goes back to the drugs with the mindset that he will hurt people in the process.

What else can I do to help him? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Sorry this is happening. You need to end it and distance yourself. He is on a self destructive path and that will accelerate with any enabling and your continuous trying to save, fix, change and rescue him..

On this trajectory you can expect er and hospital admissions from ods, car crashes, etc. Also arrests possibly with the cops ransacking your place looking for him. Of course often this could go strait to the coroners' slab with all the mixing and matching. He needs inpatient rehab not a relationship.

Go no contact and delete and block him from everything. Change your locks..

Please read up on this and get help for yourself here: He has tried a lot: dxm, alcohol, benzo's, pot, hookah, tobacco, many anti-depressants, and a few different anti anxiety medications. He combines some of his medications with alcohol on almost a daily basis. he came up with a list of reasons why he shouldn't be so high all the time as a way to keep himself disciplined. I want to help him control his substance intake.

It seems that your boyfriend needs an intervention. He requires detox under professional assistance and inpatient care for a fairly long period of time. This is a costly endeavor. Does his family have the means to obtain this type of help and would they be on board with doing it?? chi

Archived