Uncontrollable Anxiety at current job from being laid off years ago

sd95

I been at my current job for 3 years and still get anxiety attack when it looks like someone is being laid off. Today someone was told "told report to the conference room "and I was like....."OMG I wonder why?"

Turns out it was to complete health insurance information since she just became permanent. But I am still surprised I get nervous when I hear stuff like that since I been here 3 years. Does it ever go away? I guess being laid off 4 times in 5 years will do that to a person.

Have you considered counseling? You have been at your job for 3 years. That's a good sign. Also, what was the reason you were laid off. Was it for performance or did the companies merge/downsize through no fault of yours? To ease the anxiety, have you started an emergency fund, just to assure yourself that no matter what happens, you are okay?

the organizational climate is such. because of these power-over cultures, it is easy to feel vulnerable and prone to punishment, degradation, loss.

if you've been safe for three years, that's something to tell yourself. i'm sure if there was a problem, with your good record these three years, if they wanted to address any concerns with you, it wouldn't be so terrifying.

do you fear confrontation generally?

Have you considered counseling? You have been at your job for 3 years. That's a good sign. Also, what was the reason you were laid off. Was it for performance or did the companies merge/downsize through no fault of yours? To ease the anxiety, have you started an emergency fund, just to assure yourself that no matter what happens, you are okay?

It was a funding issue. Now my current job doesn't depend on funds every year. It's every five years

Is this a high turn over industry or a particularly draconian workplace? Excellent advice above about having emergency funds, etc.

Also have a ready-to-go-resume constantly updated on hand at all times. Always scan the job market anyway to see what's going on in your industry. Keep your pulse on your industry .

I been at my current job for 3 years and still get anxiety attack when it looks like someone is being laid off. I guess being laid off 4 times in 5 years will do that to a person.
I been at my current job for 3 years and still get anxiety attack when it looks like someone is being laid off. Today someone was told "told report to the conference room "and I was like....."OMG I wonder why?"

Turns out it was to complete health insurance information since she just became permanent. But I am still surprised I get nervous when I hear stuff like that since I been here 3 years. Does it ever go away? I guess being laid off 4 times in 5 years will do that to a person.

I am like this as well. Kind of a PTSD. Have you been fired or laid off in the past?

Yep I get nervous too I was layed off in 08. When the economy tanked. I've been very lucky and had jobs. The thing was I thought I'd be at the 08 one till I retired I loved that job. I called my boss yesterdat and he was in a meeting that's rare I think instantly somethings wrong lol. The company I'm with now has gone skeleton crew basically so if they fire me there basically closed.

I'm in the process of building a emergency fund now but to do that you need to stay employed. Lol

So I just started a savings account and a emergency account

Is this a high turn over industry or a particularly draconian workplace? Excellent advice above about having emergency funds, etc.

Also have a ready-to-go-resume constantly updated on hand at all times. Always scan the job market anyway to see what's going on in your industry. Keep your pulse on your industry .

No it's not. My job deals with state childcare eligibility and no one has been laid off. The longest someone has been here is 10 years

Most of us have been conditioned to be triggered by anything from HR that smacks of a layoff, but there's a difference between a wave of anxiety and uncontrollable anxiety.

If you're reeling from uncontrollable anxiety, that's a good time to reach for your company's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) if one is available. The standard is usually 3 free counseling sessions with a provider of your choice. I used one to help my anxiety during a move where I lost all my belongings after a hurricane, but I'd reach for one again for work related anxiety because the sessions were so helpful.

If you opt to do this, check both your EAP providers side by side with your regular insurance network to find a therapist listed on both. This way, if you like the therapist and want to continue working with him or her beyond the 3 sessions, you can.

Head high, you can work through this.

They just talked to us about the EAP 2 weeks ago.

I mean but seriously if you heard HR announcing someone to report to the conference room near the end of the day that wouldn't sound like she is being let go?

Health insurance information is something I always did in the morning not toward the end of the day

They just talked to us about the EAP 2 weeks ago.

I mean but seriously if you heard HR announcing someone to report to the conference room near the end of the day that wouldn't sound like she is being let go?

Health insurance information is something I always did in the morning not toward the end of the day

Hah! I get that, but HR is running their business according to business needs, and work is not a therapeutic environment. That's why people need to take their private stuff outside of work for help in private.

It's not useful to project 'shoulds' on a business environment beyond conducting your own self in the most professional manner possible. Keep your eyes on your own paper, and allow the rest to fall into place. This will drop the anxiety of trying to control 'stuff' that isn't yours to control, and it will allow you to normalize back into your own sphere of influence--your work, your commute, your home, your family and friends. The larger issues of running the business are beyond your pay grade--thankfully.

Deep breathing, and head high.

No it's not. My job deals with state childcare eligibility and no one has been laid off. The longest someone has been here is 10 years

Why not either find a sideline or a profitable hobby that you can tinker with or take some courses to make you more valuable as an employee and have the ability to move up or parallel into a different role - if finances are cut and they have room for only so many people in your role - they know they can move you into a different role because they like you and want to keep you. That is IF you want a backup plan.

Archived