Disengaged Boyfriend

RuthArn

I'm a widow and have been dating a man for about 1.5 years. We are both very busy with children in our lives, jobs, etc. He is very nice but when we're not together, it's out of sight out of mind.

My mother went into hospice less than two weeks ago. I'm an only child. Truly heartbreaking. Long story.

Since this harrowing series of events, I've sent a few supportive texts and emails. Four days passed with literally no response. I thought perhaps this was too much so he was bailing. And, I realized I wasn't exactly sad.

Then, I finally got a benign text telling me a blurb about his life. Yesterday he called and vaguely asked about my mom.

I think he truly thinks we're fine.

I feel that I need to move on as this disengagement is bizarre and unpredictable.

I'm low maintenance. I do everything for my children, myself and love my friends. I just need a text, an email, a kind word here and there throughout the week.

I think being alone beats being alone with somebody.

I guess I need to initiate a break up.

.I think being alone beats being alone with somebody.

I guess I need to initiate a break up.

I agree. It sounds like you know exactly what you need to do, and it shouldn't be met with much resistance from him, judging from his apparent apathy. I'm very sorry about your mother. As an only child myself, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to go through that.

It's times like these where we look to our partner for support. It doesn't sound like he's taking any initiative and I would expect more of a partner who I've been dating for 1.5 years. He should be doing what he can to lighten your burden, but it sounds like his lack of support/engagement is making things more stressful for you. If you want to try and make things work, I would communicate your concerns to him. On the other hand, if you've already checked out of the relationship and are ready to move on, I would just cut my ties. I think the thought of having to point something out like this to my partner would frustrate me to no end.

I'm sorry for what you're going through with your mom right now.

Sorry to hear this. Agree it's better being alone and free to find love again. Tell him it's not working so you can heal and move forward.

I'm a widow and have been dating a man for about 1.5 years. Four days passed with literally no response.I think being alone beats being alone with somebody.

Archived