My boyfriend tell me he didn't love the girl he dated for five years should I be

benymonro

I thought I loved my first girlfriend. Through the lens of time I can see that I had no idea what love was at the time.

If it hasn't been very long since that relationship ended, then I'd assume he's just feeding you a line or even worse, that he was just using her that whole time. The kind of clarity to recognize that you didn't love someone you thought you loved normally takes some time to develop.

So he said that when I confronted him: I do Not understand why this has to be the topic of conversation daily! It makes me very sad that I pour my heart into you and you keep doubting everything I say. But I already told you, I was in a numb state of my life, with difficulty in some addictions to a bad life, I wasn't with her for the majority of the time, and I never cared for the relationship at all. I'm with you and I have found love for the first and last time in life. I'd appreciate if you'd accept that and moved on from this craziness. I have put it all out there for you. And I've put everything on the line for my love for you. The rest doesn't even exist

Is that why you posted pictures on the other thread you started? So we can tell you you're prettier?

You know, love isn't based on who's "prettier" but on how you feel about the actual person. Yes, "pretty" can attract at first but it has zero bearing on whether or not the relationship will be lasting.

I don't know how old you are, but I can tell you that as an adult, if a guy told me this, YES I would be worried. Why would you stay with someone for 5 years that you don't love? And even if he is just telling you that to make you feel better, that seems pretty immature. You should be able to handle the fact that he has a past. It doesn't matter now. Soo... What do you want him to do about it?

Well, that's not very comforting now is it? "I dated someone for five years, didn't love her though I told her that and stayed with her."

Yikes. I would either be weirded out by the fact he felt he had to lie about having feelings for someone else OR that he was so insecure and/or in need of any warm body to call a relationship that he'd stay.

Neither of these are good things, but your own insecurities in this aren't helping.

If a relationship brings out the worst in you, makes you feel insecure, makes you have to have your attention on someone else (his ex) instead of just living your life, then why on earth are you staying? That's a lot of mental energy you could be putting towards, oh I don't know, getting a degree, a new job, a brand-new fun hobby, nights out on the town dancing, volunteering for your local search and rescue and saving lives, helping at the homeless shelter, passing flowers out to random people on the street to make them smile...

My list can pretty much go on about all the things you COULD be doing instead of obsessing over an ex and your current relationship. Yes, get a life outside of them both and if you can't live your life with him in it then get him gone.

It's not about who's prettier anyways. Looks fade, time and gravity catch up to us, and if you noticed people like Rhianna, Beyonce, Sandra Bullock, Halle Berry etc. haven't exactly gotten a lock on the "I'm happy 100 percent of the time and my man never cheats on me and I never have anything bad in my life" happenings. So I'm going to take that as a pretty clear signal that "pretty" isn't enough to prevent heartache.

Go live your life, really and truly live it, get anyone who prevents that or wastes your time and mental or physical energy out of it. You'll feel so much better once the initial hurt and disappointment fade and you realize you can finally be truly happy.

And no, you don't sound happy in this relationship. You sound miserable and so I'm wondering why so much time and effort that's making you unhappy. The ex is his past, she's gone, it's done. She's a symptom you're grasping at instead of facing what's really going on.

So face it.

P.S. I'm not saying what I'm saying to be mean. I have empathy, I've been where you are. I wish I would have done so much more than I did in those years I spent on bad relationships and fretting over things that in the end didn't matter. So I'm just telling you to take a solid look at your own life and make sure you aren't wasting it on the wrong thing. You should be happy and fulfilled in a relationship while you're also happy and fulfilled in other areas of your life.

So I have my issues and if u want bully me I go ahead

LOL at "bully." Actually, not LOL. It's not funny to throw that term around when you're referring to people on an online forum giving advice to people who don't know any better on how to treat their date. Calling "bully" when someone says something you don't agree with, even in a tone you don't agree with is a defense of the weak-minded. It also makes a mockery of that particular word and is extremely inconsiderate to those who may have indeed been victims of bullying or abuse. A poster who comes here and shares bad ideas, then gets a whole lot of responders saying how rude their perspective is and WHY, is NOT a victim of bullying.

We do not sugar coat advice here. Learn to take the criticism and move on.

Archived