Frumpy Frumperson

hers

Sometimes I think I am too tomboyish and I thereforee dress frumpy. My daily wardrobe consists of a pair of jean shorts or girl cargo shorts and a t-shirt, usually of a band. And flip flops. Can't forget how much I wear flip flops. I wear the same pair of earriengs every day (small silver hoops) and my toenails are always painted either pink or orange. But other than that, I look like that every day. Some days I wear a jean skirt with my band tee and flip flops. Sometimes I wear subtle eyeshadow (like a dark pastel pink with some shimmer, enough where you can see I have it on but not where it's taking over my eyes).

I'm a little tired of it. Winter is coming up and that wardrobe will be jeans with a band tee with a thermal shirt under it and some closed-toed birkenstocks. Earrings will remain I'm sure. For warmth I wear a yellow zip up hoodie.

I don't feel feminine. I walk dogs for a living so I obviously can't dress "nicer" to work. I have a closet full of heels and slacks but no where to wear them. If I wear them out wiht friends, I feel too dressed up, as that part of my wardrobe was acquired whenever I worked in an office, but it borders on office casual/professional.

I was sitting in my meeting tonight next to the man I'm pretty much in love with, and I felt frumpy. Obviously I have no shot with him as he's a good friend and married, so I'm not worried about impressing him. But I still kept thinking to myself, "What if my wardrobe causes guys not to approach me b/c I look so tomboyish that they think I'm a lesbian?" I do have a collection of outfits I call my "lesbian softball player" warddrobe that I wear while working sometimes.

I don't have a lot of money to spend, but there's this 2nd hand store with nice clothes I plan to get some stuff at. I just don't know what else to do to feel more feminine. Any suggestions from you ladies out there?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i go to claire's. they had a $1 sale, i bought a ton of cute earrings and necklaces for a dollar. i like to wear funky jewlery. not all at the same time, maybe just one pair of wild earrings or a wild hair thing.

there are some cute/comfy shoes out there, check out merrel brand shoes.

i like V-neck tees. they are functional and still show off my, um... assets.

go to a makeup counter and ask them for a makeover, they can show you a new way of applying your makeup or such.

This is a great post, I hope some gals on here reply with a few good tips cause I am in the same frump as you. I mean I wear nice clothes to work cause I work in an office but once Im home - the sweats or boxer shorts go on, hair goes up and make up comes off LOL. The weekends I just wear jean, tee shirt, plain jane crap blah blah. I been doing this forever so not sure how to "spice" up my clothes and look more feminine.

I too - wear the same earrings allllllll the time. Booooo to us! lol

well, what i wear is pretty basic. i wear jeans, fitted and cute, sneakers, long-sleeved T. but then i'll match it with a pair of funky hoop earrings, or a sparkly scarf tied around my neck. like you, i also have to dress comfortably.

i like to sort through dollar bins and find fun hoop earrings, or chunky chandalier earrings... something of the sorts.

This is a great post, I hope some gals on here reply with a few good tips cause I am in the same frump as you. I mean I wear nice clothes to work cause I work in an office but once Im home - the sweats or boxer shorts go on, hair goes up and make up comes off LOL. The weekends I just wear jean, tee shirt, plain jane crap blah blah. I been doing this forever so not sure how to "spice" up my clothes and look more feminine.

I too - wear the same earrings allllllll the time. Booooo to us! lol

Glad someone can relate!

I love the earrings I wear b/c they are subtle and not too big but not small either. They go with anything. They were also a gift from my sister for being in her wedding--I doubt they were expensive at all but I love wearing them b/c they came from her for sharing such an amazing day with her!

When I worked in an office, I dressed up a good bit, but our office was so casual--you coudl pretty much wear whatever you wanted (jeans, t-shirts, etc). So I tomboyed out there too. If people came to the office dressed up, others woudl ask if they were either going to a funeral or a job interview! So I didn't dress up often b/c it made me look out of place.

But now that I walk dogs for a living, I can't wear heels and I get dirty, muddy, dog paws on me often so I don't want to "damage" any of my nice clothes. But right now I'm working a pair of jeans and a pair of khaki pants (casual ones) as pants, when I actually wear pants instead of shorts or a skirt.

well, what i wear is pretty basic. i wear jeans, fitted and cute, sneakers, long-sleeved T. but then i'll match it with a pair of funky hoop earrings, or a sparkly scarf tied around my neck. like you, i also have to dress comfortably.

i like to sort through dollar bins and find fun hoop earrings, or chunky chandalier earrings... something of the sorts.

So you think it's all about the accessories?

I know I need to stop wearing so many t-shirts. I have so many of them! I have a few 3/4 sleeve shirts but I don't feel pretty in them either b/c my jeans and stuff are not that fitted (low-cut flare ones). I'm short so it's hard to find jeans that are not too long on me, even when I buy the "short" ones.

What do you wear when you get chilly? A zip-up hoodie to me looks too tomboyish but I dont find those long knitted cardigans from Target too comfortable .

Oh, most of my clothes come from Target by the way!

I have tried this going through different dollars bins, finding something "different" but then I buy them and have no idea when or what to wear them with LOL

I guess maybe Im scared of change and comfortable with my frumpy look after work but then I see woman that look great all the time, even in stores shopping for food! Maybe its laziness lol IDK

sorry to hijack your post..

I have tried this going through different dollars bins, finding something "different" but then I buy them and have no idea when or what to wear them with LOL

I guess maybe Im scared of change and comfortable with my frumpy look after work but then I see woman that look great all the time, even in stores shopping for food! Maybe its laziness lol IDK

sorry to hijack your post..

No apologies necessary! I am the exact same way!!!

oh yeah, i think accessories can do a lot for an outfit. i mean, can any girl really look like a tom-boy wearing huge hoop earrings? i get compliments on my earrings a lot. i have guys come up to me and compliment them. they're kind of a conversation piece.

well, i live in a freakishly cold climate. so, it's northface everything in the winter. but, if you are in a warmer place, sure, a hoodie is fine. i have a lot of fur (or faux-fur) lined suede jackets. the guys seem to like those too.

I think my problem is the accessories. I have tons of great clothes just dont add any "flare" to them.

Anyway - glad im not alone. =) I will keep an eye on the post and hopefully you and I will walk away as beauty queens when its all said and done LOL

Annie - great coats! I have a similiar one. Love it - always get compliments on it. Thats of course when I lived in NJ since I moved to FL I dont need big coats like that...haha

I think I am frumpy too, but I never heard of the word! I mean, COMFORT is my #1 requirement. Then I have the kind of shape that doesn't come with many elegant clothes (I am too tall, and have no curves, my limbs are too long), so I am just happy if I find something that will cover me that is not a bag... But the worst is shoes... I have a size 12? When I ask in stores I get so many pity-looks I will postpone the shoeshopping for another week. I always wear skate shoes (Vans, Etnies,...). No heels, because of rule #1 and the tall-factor.

I do the accessories-thing to feel girly. And I will sometimes make an effort to do my hair.

I think I am frumpy too, but I never heard of the word! I mean, COMFORT is my #1 requirement. Then I have the kind of shape that doesn't come with many elegant clothes (I am too tall, and have no curves, my limbs are too long), so I am just happy if I find something that will cover me that is not a bag... But the worst is shoes... I have a size 12? When I ask in stores I get so many pity-looks I will postpone the shoeshopping for another week. I always wear skate shoes (Vans, Etnies,...). No heels, because of rule #1 and the tall-factor.

I do the accessories-thing to feel girly. And I will sometimes make an effort to do my hair.

don't listen to her. she has the look of a model.

trust me! fashion designers make clothes for women like you!

I like the coats, Annie, but they're not really my style. Still, I'm looking for something to keep me warm since I work outside, but I want it to be cute too (sometimes I wear a bigger zip-up hoodie over my other one!), so I will keep that in mind!

Hersmudders,

This is so exciting! I wish I could be there to help you in person! Its totally easy to take your wardrobe up a notch, esp with a great 2nd hand shop.

Keep the jeans, as long as they are a good fit and flattering you are good to go. The thermals are warm to be sure, but not feminine. Try long sleeve t-shirts. I wore this outfit yesterday and it was jeans, layered T-shirts (navy and brown) and a burgandy blazer. I had a scarf that had burgandy, blue and brown in it. I tied that around my neck and wore some copper earrings and a necklace. For shoes I wore brown boots.

You could totally work an outfit like that. It seems to me that most people have trouble putting colors together. I get my hints from nature. For me green is the new black. I pair it with purple, burgandy, pumpkin.

It never hurts to have a fitted button down shirt. They are versitile and can be dressed up or dressed down.

Scarves are the big thing this year. There are all sorts of ways to wear them.

You said that you wear simple silver hoops. You dont have to wear a lot of jewelry to be feminine. I dont like bangels, they get in the way when I type. i like to wear rings. I generally wear a nice necklace, earrings and a ring.

You could amp up your make up look. I keep mine simple. Always have nicely shaped and groomed eyebrows. That can do a lot. The eye shadow sounds good, do you wear mascara? Add a pinky lipgloss and a pinky blush. Blush tends to be tricky. The way to judge color is to pick the shade that your cheeks turn after you have been exercising. Using a large brush place it on the apples of your cheeks. If you feel like you want to slim down the look of your cheeks (I know I do) I place it just under my cheekbones.

I hope this helps!

owb

don't listen to her. she has the look of a model.

trust me! fashion designers make clothes for women like you!

I know it...I've seena pic of her--Arwen is gorgeous! But I know it's just as hard to shop for yourself when you're tall, just as it is when you're short!

link removed=

i have some scarves like these. they are fun.

I LOVE scarves like those. I just odn't know how to wear them!

I know it...I've seena pic of her--Arwen is gorgeous! But I know it's just as hard to shop for yourself when you're tall, just as it is when you're short!

I LOVE scarves like those. I just odn't know how to wear them!

Ditto the the scarves lol

That outfit totally sounds cute!! I've wanted to try the blazer look but they dont seem to be warm! B/c I work outside so much, I will be cold when it gets cooler, so I need something to keep me warm but still look cute instead of making me look frumpy.

I will be going to the 2nd hand shop soon (after Halloween--they have too much Halloween stuff right nowthat's taken over their racks!), so I will keep an eye out!

ok hers...give me some time to think about this k...

can you tell me what kinds of things you are hoping to dress for, occasion wise kind of thing...let me know what you are looking for that way and i will come up with some suggestions...

Hey Doll, you got my PM!

My life consists of walking dogs, going to my Al-Anon meetings, and sometimes to bars with friends. That's about it. Nothing requires "dressing up" and like I said, my "nicer" wardrobe is more business professional than sexy! Still, I have cute heels and stuff, but that's about it. I do plan to buy a bunch of pieces soon to try to put them together!

Archived