Frumpy Frumperson

hers

I'm not really a jewelry person, but I do like it. I just don't know "when" to wear it.

Wear it everyday. Just start with something simple. Maybe layer chains, or wear chunky stones.

I know it...I've seena pic of her--Arwen is gorgeous! But I know it's just as hard to shop for yourself when you're tall, just as it is when you're short!

I LOVE scarves like those. I just odn't know how to wear them!

Scroll to the bottom of the link and see how to wear a scarf!

link removed

Individually the blazer may not take the place of a coat, but you will be wearing layers underneath. There are all sorts of cute winter coats. Just make sure its fitted to your waist to get a more fem look.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hers~

Life requires dressing up. Why not "dress up" for a meeting or going out with friends? On my days off I like to look nice, sometimes better than when i am at work, or just funkier. I like the way I feel.

Get yourself some cute boots, nothing with a too chunky heel. They are very versitile.

And yes bring out the cute shoes!

Hers~

Life requires dressing up. Why not "dress up" for a meeting or going out with friends? On my days off I like to look nice, sometimes better than when i am at work, or just funkier. I like the way I feel.

Get yourself some cute boots, nothing with a too chunky heel. They are very versitile.

And yes bring out the cute shoes!

I want to dress up for meetings. Tonight I wore--surprise!--jeans and a t-shirt and flip flops and a zip up hoodie. Sitting next to the guy I'm in love with. Sigh.

There's a girl who goes to my meetings who dresses just like you described you dress actually. She's so cute and I love her outfits. She's tall and skinny though and I'm short and stumpy, so I feel like I don't look "right" in the same sorts of outfits.

Do you think those outfits go on any body type?

Do you like H&M? I mean some people hate it. They usually have gorgeous tops.

And. Ok, so maybe I don't qualify for frumpy (I just don't know what it means!), but I feel boy-ish, and that has led to some re-styling in the past, lol. Here's a tip.

Invest in a very good pair of jeans. I always have very expensive ones (usually diesel, g-star, gsus or kuyichi), and I have certainly noticed the difference. Go to a specialized store, not to a cheap one, and get advice from the kid who works there (I am always surprised how YOUNG these girls/guys are, but usually they really know what would fit you).

Do you like H&M? I mean some people hate it. They usually have gorgeous tops.

And. Ok, so maybe I don't qualify for frumpy (I just don't know what it means!), but I feel boy-ish, and that has led to some re-styling in the past, lol. Here's a tip.

Invest in a very good pair of jeans. I always have very expensive ones (usually diesel, g-star, gsus or kuyichi), and I have certainly noticed the difference. Go to a specialized store, not to a cheap one, and get advice from the kid who works there (I am always surprised how YOUNG these girls/guys are, but usually they really know what would fit you).

frump n.

1. A girl or woman regarded as dull, plain, or unfashionable.

2. A person regarded as colorless and primly sedate.

Think tomboyish, sweat pants, sneakers, hair up in a ponytail, doesn't look like she's put any time into her look.

I can't afford good jeans. I love American Eagle jeans so I buy those but at $50 each, I can only get one or two at a time! But still, the "short" size is still way too long on me and tehy drag and bunch up over my flip flops.

I like H&M but the only one we have is pretty far away so I can't get to it! But most of my stuff comes from Target or little shops in the mall.

I am starting to doubt that you qualify for frumpy, but ok.

Yeah, these jeans don't come for 50 bucks,unless in outlet stores. I usually wear mine until there is holes in them (same for shoes, lol)

Oh, and I am sure it has been mentioned before, but I always wear scarves (not in summer of course). You can buy really nice ones on markets for a couple of bucks.

I think a lot also depends on combining what you wear. What colors do you like? Do you like browns/greens (fall-shades?).

well keep in mind you dont * have to have a reason to dress up. if youre going out with your friends, wear something nice. theyll get used to it and you will feel good because youre dressed nice.

i think you should try tighter tshirts and tank tops and fitting jeans. it will help you to look more 'clean cut' cause those types of clothes dont leave all that extra room that cargo pants and band tshirts leave.

well keep in mind you have to have a reason to dress up. if youre going out with your friends, wear something nice. theyll get used to it and you will feel good because youre dressed nice.

i think you should try tighter tshirts and tank tops and fitting jeans. it will help you to look more 'clean cut' cause those types of clothes dont leave all that extra room that cargo pants and band tshirts leave.

All of my tshirts are actually pretty tight, well as tight as a band shirt can be! I buy smaller sizes b/c they shrink and thereforee don't look baggy on me. I pair it with a jean skirt when I go out. But still, nothing special looking! I'm definitely going to get better fitted jeans and slacks. I just feel better in them.

How about a classy black pair of pants (whatever brand that just fits well), with a bright top? The thing with bright colors is that they need a background- I always like things like bright green on very dark blue jeans or black ones.

Suppose you are going out, is link removed something you would like to wear?

How about a classy black pair of pants (whatever brand that just fits well), with a bright top? The thing with bright colors is that they need a background- I always like things like bright green on very dark blue jeans or black ones.

Suppose you are going out, is link removed something you would like to wear?

I don't wear a lot of black b/c I have a white dog who sheds like crazy so I get a lot of her fur on me.

Yes, that's pretty basic of what I wear, but more of skirts like this:

link removed

or this:

link removed

With flip flops.

Here's something I wear often (crappy pic of me though!). It's a band t-shirt and a faux-jean skirt. Im wearing flip flops. I'm so plain!

image removed

To me it's really different if a skirt is a jeans skirt or another fabric.

Actually I think that flip flops are the first ones that need to go- they are for indoors or holiday or the beach. Why not replace them by nice sandals? I don't know what weather it is in Yemen (lol at your location, I know that episode of friends by heart), but aren't you freezing in those now?

To me it's really different if a skirt is a jeans skirt or another fabric.

Actually I think that flip flops are the first ones that need to go- they are for indoors or holiday or the beach. Why not replace them by nice sandals? I don't know what weather it is in Yemen (lol at your location, I know that episode of friends by heart), but aren't you freezing in those now?

Yeah that skirt is denim-colored and stretchy but isn't jeans at all.

FINALLY someone got the Friends reference! FINALLY! I think you and ILMBC are the only ones who ever have! I live in Atlanta though, where it likes to pretend it's cold only to be scorching an hour later.

I love flip flops. I hate not wearing them. I've been taht way forever--everyone in my family is actually. I have a million of them--they are cute and decorated and not just crappy rubber ones. I make sure that my feet actually look cute in them!

Here are two pairs I wear often. I like ones with some chunk to them.

link removed

link removed

Yeah they are super comfortable and I can walk easily in them since I walk so much. I have another pair that I cant find a picture of that is just brown and chunky but are much cuter when I wear them with a skirt than just flat brown flip flops.

I love v-necks but I feel like I show too much cleavage (My friends back home call me T*ts McGee!) so I try not to wear so many boob shirts. Plus, I have a skin disease that has left my chest very discolored (see link removed) so I get embarrassed easily.

Still, I love v-necks. Just don't buy them often

oooh, i WANT those sandals.

i don't know what i could say to help you. i'm in the same boat... jeans, tshirts and flipflops (in the winter, substitute birkenstocks)...

I also have a LOT of dress clothes but nowhere to really wear the stuff...

I wear a lot of jewelry though and take the time to do hair and makeup if i'm feeling frumpy. I SUCK at doing my hair..but i do my best. Maybe try adding those things and you'll feel better? Just putting on some eyeliner and mascara does wonders for me.

For jewelry, I pretty much wear the same pieces every day. I have a bracelet from Tiffany's (the silver heart tag one)...I have a nice ring....sometimes a necklace...and some earrings (not always because i tend to lose them).

I don't really know what to say =\ my style is pathetic.

I went to Old Navy when school started and got a TON of cute tops...but I feel you on the cleavage issue...mine are ginormous.

Thanks, ILMBC!

I have the longest eye lashes ever so I usually just wear my concealer and eye shadow and leave off the mascara b/c they are so long.

I guess I'm going to go looking for some jewelry and cute tops and maybe a better pair of jeans soon!

I love v-necks but I feel like I show too much cleavage (My friends back home call me T*ts McGee!) so I try not to wear so many boob shirts. Plus, I have a skin disease that has left my chest very discolored (see link removed) so I get embarrassed easily.

Hmm, I wasn't gonna say anything, well I was, but decided it would be against my better judgment.

I want to dress up for meetings. Tonight I wore--surprise!--jeans and a t-shirt and flip flops and a zip up hoodie. Sitting next to the guy I'm in love with. Sigh.

There's a girl who goes to my meetings who dresses just like you described you dress actually. She's so cute and I love her outfits. She's tall and skinny though and I'm short and stumpy, so I feel like I don't look "right" in the same sorts of outfits.

Do you think those outfits go on any body type?

Yes! because you are dressing to fit your body, not to make clothes fit you. By wearing a shirt that is fitted at the waist you are making the most of your curves!

I can't afford good jeans. I love American Eagle jeans so I buy those but at $50 each, I can only get one or two at a time! But still, the "short" size is still way too long on me and tehy drag and bunch up over my flip flops.

Have them tailored so that the bottoms aren't dragging. By spending just a few dollars on having someone tailor your jeans to hem them up, you will look taller because the line of your leg wont be dragging the ground.

Yeah they are super comfortable and I can walk easily in them since I walk so much. I have another pair that I cant find a picture of that is just brown and chunky but are much cuter when I wear them with a skirt than just flat brown flip flops.

Still, I love v-necks. Just don't buy them often

Instead of flip flops, why not cute flats? They are a quick way to add style!

link removed

I love these green ones, and it can be a good way to bring out the fact you like color and arent afraid to wear it!

As far as the tank top situation goes, I totally understand about being self conscious about your body. Why not layer a t-shirt under the tank top? In your photo you are wearing a purpley tank, you could pair that with a baby pink tshirt or a black tshirt.

I wear a lot of bright colors--yellow, orange, green. Of course, that's all my band tees. I like neutral colors but just dont know how to wear them!

I guess I qualify more as tomboyish than frumpy.

Just pair them with your brights!

With bright green= dark grey

Bright orange = dark brown - great for fall!

With yellow its tricky, maybe an olive green or brown

The thing about shoes with me is I hate having my feet enclosed. So while I think flats like that are adorbale, they are so uncomfortable to me. My feet are like claustraphobic or something...I hate having them closed in. So that's why I try to wear cute flip flops. But I guess for winter, it's a good idea rather than just wearing my Birks all the time.

As for the jeans and tailoring, I've done that before but then htey lose the little "cuff" at the end. Or maybe not even a cuff. Maybe the seam? I don't like when it loses that. I dont know why. But I have taken them to tailors before but just not often, b/c if I'm spending $50 on jeans, I dont want to spend anymore to get them taken in!

Archived