Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Period Odor Problems

Period Odor Problems

I am intimate with a female friend of mine who has very strong odor down below. About 4-5 days before her period started, I could smell her down there. That was about Sunday and her period still hasn't fully kicked in now on Friday. I know she doesn't have an infection and she told me her periods are normally very heavy. I told her about the odor, and she said it is normal for her and that it doesn't bother her. She mentioned that she could water douche but she said that isn't good for her and that it wouldn't be good to do often. Her diet seems to be decent and she is conscious to avoid anything that might lead to a yeast or other infection.

So far, the best we have been able to do is shower directly before sex. The smell is mostly but not completely gone after that. It returns within an hour or two and gets progressively worse as time passes. The reason I started the thread is that the smell is bad enough that is kills my arousal and is definitely impacting our sex life. I hate to use the word revolting, but it honestly is. I can easily smell it through shorts and panties to the point that we can't be intimately close without her showering right beforehand.

Those who know me know I am very attracted to that part of a woman's body. Among other things I love going downtown and anything else to do with stimulating that area. To be turned off by that is a very bad thing for both of us. Suggestions on what else we can do about it? My biggest fear is that it may not be just a period issue. She may have odor problems down there in general and I don't want odor problems to mess up what could be a great time for both of us. This isn't really something I can easily ignore, even during regular sex. She gets very wet down there and I want to be majorly turned on, not off by that.

Well, her body seems to work like that, there´s not much you can do. Is not voluntary.

For all you say, she might not be the girl for you.

If you can´t ignore it and you can´t change it... why don´t you just move on?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    My biggest fear is that it may not be just a period issue. She may have odor problems down there in general
    You dont' know for sure yet? whether it really is just before her period or all the tiem?? have you two not been together long??
    ~ There are a lot of changes in life, how we react to them that matters, it's what makes us who we are. ~

This sounds very abnormal. A woman who showers frequently should not have odor like that unless there is something else going on. Periods do not even cause bad odor if one is very clean. She should see a doctor, a different one since she claims hers says no infection.

That does not sound right at all. And I don't blame you, what a turn off that would be.

Hazel,

We have a good friendship that will last with or without the sex benefits.

Let me rephrase. She is damn good in bed overall with a very high sex drive that surpasses mine. The list of problems I foresee with her is a very short list indeed. Currently, this is the only thing that is keeping us from having a great time together in bed.

Hence why I want to deal with it rather than move on.

A period can flucuate the odor, because of the ups and downs of hormones. Another thing that can affect that odor is stomach/ intestinal problems and/or different things she is eating.

That's all I can surmise from your post. Perhaps you are just very sensitive to that odor?

flower,

We haven't been together long. We have been friends for months but intimate only the last week or so.

jadedstar,

Yep. Now that I think more about it you are absolutely right. It is highly abnormal. I have smelled this type of odor once or twice before, but nothing even close to this powerful. The actual period smell and smell of blood can be kind of mildish. Or it seems to be most of the time for me with past partners. Never has been an intimate issue that is for sure.

Elektra,

Sensitive to her odor, yes. But I think almost all men would find that particular odor a problem. I am not sensitive to period or vaginal odor in general. I have even found some body odor on women to be quite hot.

Deep inside myself searching for motivation and inspiration
    She may have an STD such as BV (Bacterial Vaginosis). BV is associated with with a foul unpleasant odor. It is treated with an antibiotic such as metronidazole or clindamycin. Whenever I see a 2 gram dose of metronidazole coming in, I know the woman has BV She should get checked out by her physician because if it is a case of untreated BV, it can lead to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)--which can cause infertility!

Any woman can get BV. However, some activities or behaviors can upset the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina and put women at increased risk including:

Having a new sex partner or multiple sex partners,
    Douching, and
    Using an intrauterine device (IUD) for contraception.
    It is not clear what role sexual activity plays in the development of BV. Women do not get BV from toilet seats, bedding, swimming pools, or from touching objects around them. Women that have never had sexual intercourse are rarely affected.

For more information and to educate yourself about BV you can check out the following link:

http://www.cdc.gov/std/bv/STDFact-Ba....htm#Treatment

Is she sure she doesn't have an infection? It's just that it sounds a bit stronger than perhaps is normal.
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake…”
    (Francis Bacon, 1561 – 1626)

Some women do have a stronger 'odor' down there more than others, and she may have some sort of endocrine imbalance that causes her to sweat more and thus have more odor.

But she should have a thorough exam just to rule out infection and then you can go from there.

You've already tried the showering before intimate contact, douching is bad for a woman and can actually give her an infection so it's not a good idea to encourage that- doctors actually recommend not douching as the vagina cleans itself naturally and to do so increases the risk of infection...
    Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 6-25-09. :) AND a beautiful baby boy born 6-14-11. :)

Baby # 2 forever missed lost 6-3-10.

"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth.
    Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth".
    ~author unknown

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat"
    ~ Malcolm Forbes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
One of the biggest causes of stress and unhappiness in life are failed relationships. Making a relationship work is one of the most important life ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It has been universally acknowledged that having a long distance relationship is not such a good idea, especially if there is no known end-date to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Some people say that when we deeply love or care about someone we automatically open the door to betrayal. I am not sure whether such statement holds ...