Okay, so I know I have another post going in this section (thanks to everyone that has replied! ) but I have another question.

So say you are two adults and are a couple... and absolutely hate using the terms "boyfriend" and "girlfriend".

Personally, I don't think saying "so and so is my girlfriend" makes the girl sound as if she's 12.

But when I have to describe someone that is 28 as my "boyfriend"... it sounds so juvenille and it makes me cringe.

"Special friend" has been mentioned... but that's what my aunt calls the guy she is sleeping with... she's in love with the guy, but the dude is really only using her as a sex buddy and doesn't want to go as far as to say "boyfriend".

So 'special friend' to me sounds like someone you're just sleeping with... and juvenille as well.

What do you guys call your... other halves?

I'm 29 and my boyfriend is 26... and neither of us have a problem with boyfriend/girlfriend.

Lady friend sounds like old people speak (and we made fun of one of my guy's friends when he talked about his "lady friend" because it just sounded so weird coming out of him).

How about simply "man" and "woman", as in "This is my man, Bob"?

ha, Eva the "friend" part isn't the problem.

The "boy" is. Come on, he's nearly 30.

He may ACT like he's 16, but he isn't

And btw, your tag line from "perfect day"... is there a different version? if so, then I downloaded the boring one with something about a park and a movie... not drugs and bbq's!

ha, Eva the "friend" part isn't the problem.

The "boy" is. Come on, he's nearly 30.

He may ACT like he's 16, but he isn't

And btw, your tag line from "perfect day"... is there a different version? if so, then I downloaded the boring one with something about a park and a movie... not drugs and bbq's!

"hi, thsi is my manfriend, " make a joke out of it

and no, the song was what my bf made up (on the spot) and sang to me after an amazing day at this beach party, then (obviously) a bbq at his friends place

thats all I can remember of it... it was a rather fuzzy day

We simply say "partner".... it sounds a lot more mature and committed.... well, I think so! hehe... "This is my partner!" It's nice.

I dont like "partner"

it always seems to be used by people who are living together and having spats about whether they will get engaged or not...

hehe, well, yeah, that makes sense too... "this is the other half" or "the better half" is one I hear lots!!!! Just a casual way of saying it, without actually putting a 'status' on the relationship as such!

It's very Aussie!

sorry, I didnt mean to sound mean

I like "the better half"

"the ball n chain"

At my age, my bf both in our 40's, bf and gf sound a little young to me but the only other thing I can think of right now, being in that giddy night mode, is: this is the guy I am having sex with! LOL! sorry sometimes I am easily amused....I personally do not like Special Friend as it sounds like a throw away term, not of endearment. I think we are going to have to just accept guy friend, girlfriend, boyfriend, the animal I love, like lust after....don't know, wish I could be more helpful to you....

No word of a lie, this old friend of the family was having a casual relationship with a lovely guy. She brought him along for christmas eve drinks to my families' home, and I was thinking, wow, maybe it's more serious now and then she opened her mouth to introduce him by saying, "This is my jab, Peter!" Oh my dear!! Now that's one way to put it! hehe

And Gina, you didn't sound mean... I get what you were saying, it can sound a little Jerry Springer! hehe

No word of a lie, this old friend of the family was having a casual relationship with a lovely guy. She brought him along for christmas eve drinks to my families' home, and I was thinking, wow, maybe it's more serious now and then she opened her mouth to introduce him by saying, "This is my jab, Peter!" Oh my dear!! Now that's one way to put it! hehe

And Gina, you didn't sound mean... I get what you were saying, it can sound a little Jerry Springer! hehe

Too funny Hayles! Actually that works too!

I dont like "partner"

it always seems to be used by people who are living together and having spats about whether they will get engaged or not...

Really? I've always thought it was a more mature version of girl/boy-friend like when your at a dinner function or something for introductions; ie ".....and this is my partner ". Or even the step before Fiance/Fiancee.

I am still using "Girlfriend" to describe my Girlfriend at the moment anyway, as we're still early days in the relationship

The GF doesn't like that one. I think its the first thing I've found that really winds her up. She hates it!!!!!

Kinda funny when I use it for reaction though

I dont like b***h... its the only thing I dont find humorous unless obviously done in a piss take kind of way