I feel like the most irresponsible person in the world.

Why? Because I missed my dentist appointment. Why? Because I woke up 15 minutes after I was supposed to show up.

I know it may not matter to you, but it's just one prime example of how stupid and irresponsible I really am.

Not only that, but it also shows how big of a deal insomnia really is (truth is, my mom doesn't believe it exists and that it's my own fault that I can't sleep).

Truth is, I really don't like being me. If you have any younger siblings/nieces/nephews/children/grandchildren or whatever, tell them to never turn out like me (if you don't know "me", feel free to read my posts).

I'm turning 19 in 2 days... I hope 19 isn't as bad as the previous 7 years of my life.

So how many of us had it together at 19?

Let's see a show of hands.

Come on, I'm waiting.

Seriously, I missed a deadline to send some documents today, but life goes on. Your dentist will still torture and bill you at a later date.

Don't add up your mistakes to prove you're no good. Just keep on with life.

if you're a screw up because you miss a dentist appointment because you over slept.. Then i'd hate to know what people classify me as then, i've been late for so many things its not even funny.

And as PP said, i'm 19 as well and I am far from having my crap together and it makes it harder I have a child. People make mistakes, like goes on don't dwell over the small mistakes just take them as a lifes lesson.

Responsibility is something that you have the power to put into place. At least you're aware of what you're doing wrong; it would be far worse if you were irresponsible and didn't care. I believe that not too far in the future you'll do something about it - sooner or later you'll realise you HAVE to.

For the time being maybe you could make life easier for yourself by booking your dentists appointments in the afternoon?

Dako: I loved this comment...

So how many of us had it together at 19?

Let's see a show of hands.

Come on, I'm waiting.

I too miss deadlines and it does happen to all of us. The trick is to think about why it happens. Then decide if there is something you could have done. In my case, there almost always is something I could have done.

I want you to know that I have many of the same feelings you do and I am MUCH older than you. This is what happens when we feed our subconscious bad thoughts. It only knows how to react and deduces nothing. As they say in the computer world. Garbage in, garbage out.

However, getting back to you. Insomnia is a REAL issue. It could be due to the fact you worry too much, you have ADD, a physical issue or ANY number of things. I too suffer from insomnia and most of the time it is because of worrying.

If i take on too much, there is not enough time in the day to complete things. Then, I worry about them and cannot sleep. I could stop this by not taking on too much (well maybe not, because worry is more of a habit now ;-) ). I also don't take the time to do the things I know i should be doing, like taking care of those things that I am taking on too much of. What that does is cause me to have more to do and starts even more worry.

Also, it has been said to me that I take on too much as a way to sabotage myself, as I don't like myself. Ah, it could be true. However, all I am saying is that there are people like you everywhere. The trick is to stop the viscous cycle.

How? Well, pick stuff you like to do and do it. Learn to go hang out. I am learning that part of the reason I feel like I do is that I have so much to do, I get nothing done. I rush everywhere, instead of being a little early and enjoy life. I also find that I work away from home so often, I don't have time to build relationships.

You cannot sit at home or go walk around the mall by yourself, or eat alone and expect to feel good about yourself. We need human contact.

OK, so enough rambling. Stop putting yourself down. What good has it done, except make you worry about being 19? Whether you think you are good looking or built or talented or NOT, you are still 19. Don't wait until you are older to start filling that subconscious of yours with all this good fuel.

If you constantly think bad thoughts, that is where your mind will direct you. Tony Robbins stated in one of his books, that when he wanted to learn to drive a race car, was that the instructors told him to "not pay attention to the wall". Because they told him that, the first thing he did was to crash into the wall. It was what he was thinking about, after all.

Finally, there are over the counter meds to take for sleeping. I am not a doctor and I DO NOT play one on TV, but I understand that some forms of certain cold meds will help you sleep and are non-addicting. Just do some research online.

Also, what is the old saying? "Know that you are special, 'cause God don't make no junk!!!"

Responsibility is something that you have the power to put into place. At least you're aware of what you're doing wrong; it would be far worse if you were irresponsible and didn't care. I believe that not too far in the future you'll do something about it - sooner or later you'll realise you HAVE to.

For the time being maybe you could make life easier for yourself by booking your dentists appointments in the afternoon?

That appt. was 2 P.M.