My sister was recently talking to me about her new years resolution. She plans to buy lots of cardio exercise tapes and be on the slimfast bars/shakes diets. She is a little bit over weight, but mainly in the thigh/hip/butt region. Basically she wants to get toned.

Supposably she read somewhere that slimfast is a good way to tone your body, along with exercise. I just dont think she will see any results. Slimfast contains alot of sugar right? Wont that sugar go right to her butt/love handles?

Can anyone give me any feedback about this idea? Or suggest a new one, other than the basic, eat right and exercise response. I think she has a hard time sticking to that, as do alot of people.

Any feed back would help!

Thanks.

Sarah

I actually did try the slimfast shakes when I was 160lbs, and I remained at 160lbs, if anything they made me hungrier.

Then I cut out fat from my diet, ate multi-grain wheat bread, fruits, vegetables, always feel full, some icecream here and there, go to the gym when I have time, and I am down to 117lbs.

I think these crash diets hurt more than help. Tell her to slowly cut the unhealthy foods from her diet, and not completely take them all out at once, because she will likely rebound and gain the weight back.

Another secret that worked for me is water. I drink 5-10 bottles of 700mL bottles/day and no soft drinks whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Hugs, Rose

I would think some people have lost weight with slimfast, if they stick to the plan, because it restricts your calorie intake.

The diet that made the most sense to me was the Southbeach diet. Get the book.

Also, she should add in some strength training. Fat cells require basically no energy to maintain. Muscle requires energy even if it does nothing. If she puts on a few pounds of muscle, that in inself will help her lose.

She should be more worried about her tone and athletic fitness than a few pounds. Men like a woman who is in shape more than woman at the right weight, who does not exercise.

I would think some people have lost weight with slimfast, if they stick to the plan, because it restricts your calorie intake.

The diet that made the most sense to me was the Southbeach diet. Get the book.

Also, she should add in some strength training. Fat cells require basically no energy to maintain. Muscle requires energy even if it does nothing. If she puts on a few pounds of muscle, that in inself will help her lose.

She should be more worried about her tone and athletic fitness than a few pounds. Men like a woman who is in shape more than woman at the right weight, who does not exercise.

I agree about the actualy weight of a person.

I weighed 120 and then started REALLY taking care of myself. I worked out like crazy and ate only good foods, went on vacation and was VERY active and came back 135, but down from a size 7 to a size 2. It was crazy. I weighed 15 pounds more but was smaller and looked better.

Don't always stick to the scale.

Slim fast diets do work, but I suggest you tell her to do her own diet such as rose2summer said. Its alot more effective and a hell of alot cheaper. Besides all slimfast shakes are horrible except strawberry. Oh and as for the sugars and stuff yes they would be high if it was meant for a snack like a normal milkshake but you are meant to have a shake instead of a meal.

down from a size 7 to a size 2

I am assuming that means your from America and you have different dress sizes out there. Otherwise you magically got a size 7 that doesn't exist and now can squeeze into baby clothes for the size 2.

I think you're gut instinct is right; she probably wont see results.

What rubs my rhubarb is whenever you see those comercials for Slim-Fast and all the other get-fit quick schemes, it always has the following: "Results Not Typical."

She's be better off spending the money on a gym membership and a few sessions of personal training. Infact, since Christmas is coming up, maybe you could give that as a gift. Since she brought up weight loss with you, it wouldn't be a gift with a hidden agenda.

I am assuming that means your from America and you have different dress sizes out there. Otherwise you magically got a size 7 that doesn't exist and now can squeeze into baby clothes for the size 2.

Actually Women's sizes are different then men's sizes.

Like my ex was a marathon runner and she was a size 8, but my current gf is size 0 to the occasional size 2.

weird!

Slimfast has the carbs. and protein that you need along with fiber to make you feel full.

Just add some dietary fiber to juice or milkshakes and eat tuna for a lot less money but don't overdue fiber at 1st or you will get some serious gas (like eating lots of beans).

Winsor Pillates (sp?) excersizes are good.

Amino Acid supplements like Amino-Fuel by Twinlabs are great if you're doing a lot of workouts.

I saw a friend permanently lose about 40 pounds on a similar diet, but it was a series of shakes recommended by an HMO.

Hospitals sometime prescribe a liquid diet to those at risk of weight-related complications during and after surgery.

These diets have some advantages. It frees a person from thinking about food, and allows them to work, play and live free of the constant preoccupation with what to cook, eat or counting calories. The downsides are that you eventually have to return to the real world, and these diets require fiber supplements to preven the squirts.

If someone has the discipline to use it only as a way to quickly drop weight prior to adopting a sensible diet, I think it may be worthwhile, but those people may be rare.

If she's set on this diet, I'd recommend looking at less-advertised and possibly healthier formulations, such as a product called HMR.

Disclaimer:

I tend to be skinny, so this is all second-hand.

The problem is that Slim Fast is just a diet change. You also have to excercise. If you excercise six times a week and maintain a good diet, you can loose two pounds per week. Then after fifteen weeks, you will be thirty pounds lighter and in shape. Excercise includes weight lifting and you have to sweat otherwise it doesnt do any good at all.

Looking online at the nutritional label of 1 Slim Fast Creamy Milk Chocolate Shake, here is what stands out:

220 calories/27 from fat

34g sugar

10g protein

5.0 dietary fiber

Vitamin C 100%

Calcium 40%

(Iron 15%)

That is a heaping amount of sugar. Nearly as much as some sodas like Mountain Dew, Coca-Cola, et al. If you're trying to diet, processed sugar is not going to help. The protein, Vitamin C, and calcium are good, and some iron is in there... but the problem is, this kind of shake can never replace a real meal. I mean, I suppose you can try it to see what happens. But it is almost like a supplement.

My advice- if you are going to drink/take them, use them in place of a meal every now and then. Don't use it as a substitute for every meal every day. And, like another poster mentioned, don't expect to SLIM down like the advertisements suggest. They are actors trying to sell a product, not actual living proof that the product works. If it doesn't work for you, don't be surprised. There are lots of things out there that claim to control appetite, when really it is just marketing. Not saying that it works for some people, and I am sure some have lost a bit of weight from using them, but everyone is different, so pick your battles as they say.

As a side note, anyone who is taking supplements or diet pills that claim to shed pounds off your body, realize that ANYTHING can make it onto the market as long as it has been "tested" to be "safe" and has been approved by the FDA, which is usually uncomfortably lenient. It has no justification over the results of the product. It comes down to money... so beware, and do your research before you get sucked into thinking that A will cause B.

ive done the slimfast plan before and if you stick to it then it definitely does work. i went from 11 stone to 9 stone 4 in about 2 and a half months.

when you reach your target weight you have to be careful not to go back to your old eating habits. and exercise too for best effects.

for me i found the first two weeks were awful, i felt starving, but your body gets used to it and after the initial fortnight the shakes do fill you up.

the theory of slimfast is good, reducing your calorie intake to 1200-1400 calories a day, it does work and i maintain my weight now by eating real food (lol) but sticking to this guide.