One of my little piggies is dying

One of my little ones is dying. She's about 4 years old. I think she had a stroke a few weeks ago. I took her into the vet and they couldnt do anything about it. The vets out here s*ck when it comes to dealing with guinea pigs. I had better luck with vets when I was living out in Milwaukee. She had been doing well for the last few weeks. She is one of my loudest wheekers and would wheek at me whenever she heard me rustling in the fridge. She and the others knew that I was bringing out the veggies and she would wheek at the top of her lungs while the others would "popcorn" around.

Yesterday she was doing ok. She wheeked at me for veggies and was eating. Last night she went downhill. There is nothing I can do. I dont want to take her in and have her put down either. I have done that so many times with so many of my pets. Each time I had to do it alone and deal with it alone. I hate that.

Guinea pigs have such short life spans. It is hard to watch them go. Most live about 4-5 years, if that. I've had a few die after a year, even with the best care. Three of my pigs have passed the four year mark. My youngest pig is 2.

It's hard to watch them go. Life is hard. Why cant they live longer? My piggies are my love. I love them so much. THey are the reason I drove out here instead of flying.

I'm really sorry.

My family once had a guinea pig that we named Squeaky. I really enjoyed her. She didn't live much past 3 years I don't think. It was a very sad time.

It's never easy to see a pet go downhill with sickness when you know there's nothing at all you can do. It sounds like you have a real connection with those pigs, and they feel it too.

All you can do is have the confidence that you gave her a great life. She seemed like a happy pig and that's thanks to you!

I'm so sorry you're losing one of your friends. I understand the loss of a pet can be very sad. She was a cute little pig, and she''l always be in your thoughts.

Your skills at caring for her have probably extended her life and you appreciated her life to the fullest.

Big hugs!

It's hard, esp when the vet tells you there's not much they can do. I have Abby in my lap right now in a towel. She isnt movin much, but she knows that I am here and that she is safe. She was a rescue pig that came from a breeding mill. She came to me with her daughter. Her daughter died last Sept, two weeks after my breakup with my ex. . She had ovarian cysts and had surgery to remove them, but she never got better from the surgery and never ate on her own again. I kept her alive for about three weeks, handfeeding her, but it was no way to live and I had to put her down. Ugh!

Ren, I am very sorry to hear about your little guinea pig. I can understand how hard it is to lose a pet. I have been through the loss of several cats over the last 30 years or so. The knowing there is nothing that can be done is overwhelming. IF you do not want to take her in to be put to sleep, then just continue to hold her in your lap, love her and comfort her. Again, I am very sorry to hear that Abbys end is probably quite close. You are in my thoughts. hugs to you and Abby,,, take care...... Coollady1957

I am not going to take her in to be put down. I just can't deal with that right now. At least here, she can pass away knowing that she is loved and that I am here with her.

When she dies, I am going to have her cremated and get the ashes back because I have nowhere to bury her (I live in an apt). If I could, I would bury her at my parents' house. My dad would have no objection but my mom would raise a fit about it. She could never understand why I love these little critters so much.

Not many people can understand why I love these little critters, but I do and it is sad and devasting when they die. I have had over 15 of these critters in the last 10 years and when each of them died, it was hard for me.

I don't blame you at all Ren for just keeping Abby at home with you and comforting her in your own way until the end. I have done this several times with cats that I have had.

I had a cat that had feline leukemia once before. The vet said that she was not suffering in a bad way, but that there was nothing that could be done but to watch her and keep her comfortable. I have held several of my cats and hugged them, stroked them and snuggled them until their last breath.

Sometimes putting them to sleep seems so cold and depressing. You are a great "momma" to your piggies. Abby will sense your love and comfort and if she could speak I know she would say I love you.

I fully understand how much you must love your pigs. I feel the same way about my cats. No matter what, we become attached to them and they are such a big part of our lives. Yet to some people that seems silly and they do not understand our love for our pets and how much they mean to us.

I like the idea you have about having Abby cremated since burying her at your parents seems like it could be a big hassle with your mom.

FoxLocke, I dont think many vets know how to treat guinea pigs and there isnt that much that can be done for guinea pigs as like can be done for dogs and cats. Guinea pigs were bred to be lab animals and not to live long. They have very compromised immune systems and when they get sick, they succumb to it very quickly.

Also, most people view guinea pigs as "disposable" because they dont cost much to buy at a pet store. It is sad. There arent that many people like me who take the time, effort and money to care for these little creatures.

Also, most people view guinea pigs as "disposable" because they dont cost much to buy at a pet store. It is sad.

I understand. When I was a child I had goldfish and lizards that died and I always felt bad. Heck, I feel bad if one of my plants dies.

You don't need to defend your feelings to us about your little friends. It is very "real" to love them like you do. It means you're a good person.

BellaDonna

Aw Ren, I'm sorry to hear about your piggie. I completely understand how easy it is to fall completely in love with the little guys. Vets are pretty incompetent with them, and no one in my family ever understood my love for my two piggies (my dad still calls them hamsters) I also understand about the driving part lol. When I moved back to BC from Alberta, I had to leave behind one of my suitcases, so I could bring my two boys in a pet carrier. When we had to go on the ferry, my ex and I took turns supervising them on the boat. I don't have them anymore, and the first piggie Blue (my fat little man) passed away in June, and the other one, Buzzy is with a family friend now. I'm hoping to get a new piggie soon though, but Blue's death hurt so badly that I don't know if I want to have another pet with such a short lifespan, though I love pigs to bits. I hope that Abby miraculously recovers, but if not, I hope that she goes peacefully, in the arms of her very loving piggy-momma *hugs*

Abby died in my arms.

I am very sad about this. She was my little wheeker. She was my little one. She made the journey out here with me. She was a brave little one. She was a good girl.

She is now with my other little piggies that have passed over the Rainbow Bridge. She is now at peace and in no more pain.

I emailed my brother at work and he emailed me back. I am going to bury Abby at his house. He feels bad for me and he knows how my mother is about my pets. So, I am going to bury her this weekend.

Thanks for listening.

Ren, I'm so sorry. I know you have raised a lot of piggies so your probably fully aware of the fact they need TONS of vit C. I have seen so many of these lil babies die from a vit c deficiency. Here is a link that I found interesting, it shows the amount of vit c in everyday fruits and veggies.

link removed

Doyathink, my pigs get LOTS of Vitamin C. I feed them each a vit C tablet each day and they get veggies rich in vit C. Besides this forum, I also belong on a guinea pig forum for guinea pig enthusiasts so I know all about the right foods to feed them. They get the best pellets available and the best quality hay and the best veggies. I dont skimp on their diet and their care. To me, the piggies are my children.

I am thinking of adopting another piggy from a local guinea pig rescue, to replace the one that died and make my herd even again. My other three pigs miss Abby, I can tell that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ren, I am so very sorry for your loss.

I had a piggy for about 2 years. I moved to an apartment and came home from work and the AIR had shut off... some fuse had blown and what was worse, my piggy was gone. I then found out that the heat was what did it... That they are sensitive to it.

I was so heartbroken. I have not got another piggy since, and its been about 5 years now. I have been debating getting a pair, but am afraid of the loss because it just hurt so bad. LuLu was so cool, that was her name.

Oh my god, I can't believe this made a thread. It's a gineau pig, not a human being.

Pets can mean the world to some people. While everyone may not appreciate pets, I think it's really not necessary to ridicule the poster and make her feel like her grief is unfounded or not valid. To her it is very real grief (regardless of whether it was a human loss or not).

BellaDonna