Why did you chose the career you are in?

I'm a freelance copywriter. Before that, I was a marketing manager. I chose writing as my field, because it was my favorite aspect of any job I've ever had.

I chose to do it in a freelance capacity because I couldn't bear the idea of having to follow a structured schedule put in place for me by others. We get one shot at this life on earth. I don't want to spend mine in a cubicle.

It also works well for me because I don't enjoy being told what to do, nor do I particularly enjoy telling others what to do. I like to collaborate, brainstorm, think creatively...and doing it from home, on my own time, produces a lot more results than when I had to do it in dreary Monday morning - or worse, Friday afternoon! - meetings.

What made you want to be in the career you are in?

I was very interested in the field, wanted a career that would make me happy, while making a contribution to the lives of others

Is it a passion of yours, or just something that you had to learn as means of financial support?

It's definitely a passion and not based on financial need. With my background and training, there are higher paid jobs, but I chose one I would be happiest in.

Rose

I'm not in my career yet, but I'm finishing my last year of school studying social work, with a concentration in child welfare. Obviously, I'm not in it for the money lol. I honestly do have a passion for the field, especially children. I believe that the at risk kids for the most part are just doing what they've learned to do to survive, and unless someone intervenes they'll pass those coping methods onto their children. I got a degree in psychology, so I also enjoy studying people and why they act in certain ways, which definitely goes along with my career path.

As a kid, I used to constantly draw and paint. Teachers and counselors told me to knock it off, but I liked it. Computers have changed things a bit, but it's been a good career, and I've been in commercial art, tech illustration and other graphic arts for about 30 years, alternating with construction work and odd things. No glamor and pay is just so-so.

I lack ambition. So what?

I lack ambition. So what?

Dako, I'm beginning to view people with an utter lack of ambition - in terms of having ambition towards what society tells us we should have ambition towards - as some of the happiest people I've ever met!

The other day I took my dogs for a walk down a lone country road with a creek running along beside us. There wasn't a cloud in the sunny sky, nor another soul in sight. It was absolutely blissful to be doing such a thing on a Tuesday afternoon.

Why did you chose the career you are in?

I'd had two passions as a child; economics and astrophysics. I chose the money making one since it's not fun groowing up poor and now I love helping the my family and society.

What made you want to be in the career you are in?

Passion for how the monetary and trade systems developed through human history and why poverty and wealth exist and there ramifications on the human soul.

Is it a passion of yours, or just something that you had to learn as means of financial support?

Yes, I love to research and analyze markets in order to tap into emerging trends and capitalize from it.

Are you in it for the money, or because you love doing what you do?

Both, money doesn't buy happines but it puts you in a better position to influence the world.

The other day I took my dogs for a walk down a lone country road with a creek running along beside us. There wasn't a cloud in the sunny sky, nor another soul in sight. It was absolutely blissful to be doing such a thing on a Tuesday afternoon.

Scout,

That's what matters to me, too.

At one point my ex and I made a decision to quit a very "successful" lifestyle to enjoy simple pleasures. We never regretted it.

i've always been a big math nerd in school which led to engineering in college which led to graduate school (when i couldn't find a job) which led me to an internship at a defense company which eventually took me to where i am today.

some days at work, things are happening, work is exciting, there's energy in the air. most days, it's not. which is why i decided to transfer departments at work to a more "exciting" department.

i think wanting to come to work, liking the people you work with is something that is extremely underrated. when i'm at work, i love getting interesting challenging problems, learning new things or working with really really smart people. it makes the day go by so much faster when you're really enjoying yourself and your work. so my few words of advice: definitely look for a career where you will enjoy yourself, money is nice, but you'll be a better, happier person in life if you enjoy what you're doing 8+ hrs/day.

oh, and if you like interesting, technical problems with a high likelihood of getting a job when you graduate, engineering is the way to go (specifically computer science).