How long to wait after Mono?

Hello everyone i have had mono for the past few weeks and am over it now. I had it pretty bad and had to stay overnight in a hospital.

But anyway i was wondering how long should i wait before kissing anyone as i dont want to transmit the virus unintentionaly? I would ask my older brother but he is in his med school classes right now.

Thanks,

Liger

link removed

The Epstein-Barr virus never truly leaves your system. But it is very common. No special precautions are usually taken- though you should probably wait a few weeks.

I had Mono at age 4 and no one that I kissed later in life ever got it. It's a strange virus. It can cause Chronic Fatigue Syndrome- but some people never express symptoms of mono or CFS, ever. Most people already have it in their system.

Most individuals exposed to people with infectious mononucleosishave previously been infected with EBV and are not at risk for infectious mononucleosis. In addition, transmission of EBV requires intimate contact with the saliva (found in the mouth) of an infected person. Transmission of this virus through the air or blood does not normally occur. The incubation period, or the time from infection to appearance of symptoms, ranges from 4 to 6 weeks. Persons with infectious mononucleosis may be able to spread the infection to others for a period of weeks. However, no special precautions or isolation procedures are recommended, since the virus is also found frequently in the saliva of healthy people. In fact, many healthy people can carry and spread the virus intermittently for life. These people are usually the primary reservoir for person-to-person transmission. For this reason, transmission of the virus is almost impossible to prevent.

Have you talked to your doctor about it? Just because you're feeling better does not mean you should not still be careful. You should not play any sports- your spleen is especially sensitive when you have mono.

BellaDonna

I always heard you weren't contagious after taking the medicine for 24 hours so I think you're fine now...

The only thing is- it'sa virus and the virus itself cannot be eliminated or "treated" with medication. The medication is given to help with some of the symptoms so the person will feel better physically- but the medication has no effect on the virus itself or how contagious you are. Only bacterial infections can be elimiated with medication (antibiotics).

BellaDonna

Yes the doctor told me i should not play any sports for 1 month from this past tuesday. My older brother who is in med school also called me and told me that. The doctor said i was doing much better and should be fine. He told me i could resume my normal activities minus any sports.

Thanks, Liger

Bella is right, most people actually have the Epstein-Barr virus and never develop symptoms. The person you want to kiss probably already has it (but don't take chances until you discuss it with doctor!).

I had mono when I was about 13/14 and it sucked...a lot! I was basically sleeping for 2 months straight!

Never mind worrying about kissing anyone..ha!

I would talk to your doctor about when you can have the "go ahead". And yes, please do take it easy. Your spleen inflames with mono, and is especially susceptible to bursting if you exert yourself too much or take a bad hit....I know I had to lay off sports for months myself which was ver tough for me!

Get checked, a blood test will tell you quickly enough.

When I was 15 my ex of the time had it and never told me. Next thing I know I was stuck on my couch for a month and couldn't eat or drink. Ended up in the hospital for 3 days, and lost 25 pounds.

Wasn't exactly fair in my books. So heed my advice, get checked. Many think that mono is a great way to get out of school and makes you slightly tired for a couple weeks, but sometimes with certain people it can be pretty bad.