I got this dog 1 year ago, he was 8 weeks old. His name is Skeeter. He is some sort of terrior mix. He's small (10 lbs) and has a weird 'snaggletooth" that sticks out over one side of his lip, and he has strange hair that hangs around his face. But he is cute in a sort of way.

I have always had animals around me, but never really had that whole "dog is woman's best friend" thing, you know? Anyway.....my dog seems to know when Im upset. I mean, over the past year, the minute I started feeling down, sad, etc he appeared and jumped up next to me and laid his head on my shoulder. It has happened so many times I dont even notice it now really. From that time on, we have become peas in a pod, you never hardly see 1 without the other.

He follows me around the house going everywhere I go, he is always in my lap, if I go to the bedroom to watch tv he follows me and gets in bed and lays by me. If I take a bath he waits outside the door. And if I start crying he licks my cheek. Even if I am not all out crying but just sitting there and a tear falls or something, he does that. We have become inseperable. Ive never had a connection to a pet like I do this dog. Sometimes I think that dog is all I've got LOL.

I'm just really thankful for Skeeter. I don't know if he knows he's a dog though.. I wondered if any of you have any pets who seem to always be there for you? Or seem to sort of "know" your feelings? If you don't have a pet, you might consider getting one. He has pulled me out of some really rough spots the past year.

PS I have taught him to "twirl", he stands on his back legs and I hold up a treat and he twirls around in a circle twice in a row. LOL. Also when I come in the front door, he jumps really high a million times in a row and then starts walking on his back legs toward me (3 or 4 steps) with his paws out .

Just curious about your pets.

Salt

Yes, I used to have a really great dog, he was my best friend. I want another one as soon as possible. It's just that to get a small one, which I want a small one this time, it costs a lot of money, and also, I'm gone during the day working, for so long every day that I would worry that he would be neglected, although I am a very good dog owner, and I would never willingly neglect or abuse a doggy. I sure wish I could have a little doggy at work with me. Hmmmm....maybe I should see if that's possible. I've heard that they've done some studies and are finding that dogs in workplaces increase morale and productivity.

My dog Sara knew when I was sick and would lay next to me looking at my face and was very subdued. If I felt fine, she'd lay with her face looking away from me, or would jump around and lick my face. She didn't like people to cry, and would get panicky and pace.

She would play roughly with most people, but old people and children made her gentle and watchful. She once played all night with a toddler who had a ball cap. She'd gently lift the cap by the bill and trot off with it, and set it down. The kid would find it and put it on. and she'd repeat the process.

My wife made her a badge on the computer that looked like ones worn by therapy dogs so she could visit elderly friends in the hospital. Other patients would request visits and we would be there for hours. She never misbehaved in that setting, and rode elevators and shook hands with people.

She was happy on all sorts of boats, in cars and just about anywhere but the vet's office.

Sorry to ramble. I found out this morning she died.

Oh, I'm sorry Dako. Sounds like you loved her a lot

I love my dog. I grew up with him, but I had to leave him behind with my parents when I moved out. Work all day, so it would be unkind to have a dog alone at home in those circumstances.

Loved my dog. He also seemed to know when I needed a hug. He would come to me and kinda curl up against my belly when he sensed I was sad. He would also lick my hands or feet to "groom" me when I was crying, or just to show his appreciation.

He often follows me around the house. If I am working on the computer, he would curl up in the leg room under the desk, for example.

I hope to earn enough money one day to get a dog to keep me company, and be able to send him to a "doggie daycare" during the day.

i had a dog like this. his name was Mozart, he was a golden retriever, st bearnard, chow mix. he was bigger and lived outside, but i would tell him EVERYTHING and i swear he understood. he was my first dog, i got him when i was three. in elm. school i walked home from school and he would meet me at the gate to tell me hello. he seemed to know if i had a bad day.

i remember one day i came home from school and mozart met me at the gate but pepper, my pug, didnt. mozart immediately started pulling at my jacket. he pulled me over to the bushes and i looked under them and there lied pepper. he had suffered a minor heat stroke. if it wasnt for mozart pepper probably would have died.

mozart died a couple of years ago(he was 10.) let me tell you, when your dog leaves you, your entire life will change. i still blame myself for his death and give myself a really hard time about not spending enough time with him the last few years of his life. he wasnt a dog to me. he was my baby. when people would ask me what i was doing i would sometimes about to go for a walk with my baby boy, and they would think i had a son.

now i remember sitting on the dog house looking up at the moon.im going to get a tattoo of a full moon and his dog tag in the moon then me sitting on the dog house and him looking down one the dog house by the moon... or something to that effect. when i see the moon and the stars it makes me think of him. sappy i know, but that dog was the only thing keeping me alive, now... i dont know why im still here.

by the way... dont send your dog to doggie daycare, i work for a vet and they are not the best places in the world. besides much like kids, dogs like to be alone. it gives them a break from you. like when you go to works and leave your kids alone.

I've got an 11 year old medium sized Labrador Cross * * * * * called 'Dash'. I got her from a cat and dog rescue place as a tiny puppy. From the day I got her she's followed me around like a shadow. If I want to go to the bathroom she knows and is sitting half way up the stairs waiting for me.

When I come home she always meets me with a cuddly toy. I have to throw it down the garden a few times for her before she'll let me start to make meals, take the shopping in the house, etc.

She always knows when I'm sad and will come and lie near me and lick me. When I'm in the bath she sits or lies down beside it. When I'm in bed she lies on the top beside me. As long as she's close when I'm in the house she's ok.

I have another dog. He's called Kane and he's a Labrador Retriever cross. He's 6 years old. He got stung by a wasp in the house a couple of years ago. And launched himself onto my knee when I was sat at the computer. I knew something was wrong but I couldn't work out what? He stared at the floor. I sat and watched for a while and I saw a wasp crawling. His heart was pounding and he was panting. I rang the vet immediately and she told me to give him one of my antihistamine tablets and he was ok.

Since then if he hears a wasp buzzing in the house he runs to find me and launches himself on me. He's told me about 6 this year so far!

I'm so sorry to hear about Sara, Dako. My heart goes out to you.

Yes, pets (and wild creatures too) are the best little comfortors in the world.

I used to have a dog, J_, a big beautiful blonde bearded collie. He was my best pal. I could talk all day about J_.

I've had all sorts of pets, lived and played with all sorts of animals. Each has their own way.

Even at the mo', my one cat seems to have a great sense of people. Somewhat strange for a cat, my other girl is rather oblivious! But fat cat will crawl right up beside me when I am crying or very sad. She wraps her little paw around me and rubs and purrs. Like a cat hug. She has so much personality, this one, she even enjoys 'spooning' with anyone who will let her.

He follows me around the house going everywhere I go, he is always in my lap, if I go to the bedroom to watch tv he follows me and gets in bed and lays by me. If I take a bath he waits outside the door. And if I start crying he licks my cheek. Even if I am not all out crying but just sitting there and a tear falls or something, he does that. We have become inseperable. Ive never had a connection to a pet like I do this dog. Sometimes I think that dog is all I've got LOL.

That is soo cute! I hope your both doing fine. Hm must be very hard when the dog would die eventually.. makes you wonder... Are some animals more caring/loving than humans? I don't know really, I suppose it's possible but I don't have a dog. Now I'm really planning to get one!

Thanks!

by the way... dont send your dog to doggie daycare, i work for a vet and they are not the best places in the world. besides much like kids, dogs like to be alone. it gives them a break from you. like when you go to works and leave your kids alone.

My family dog loved his sessions at the doggie daycare when my parents were away and I was working all day. He was squeaking and wagging with joy whenever he saw the building.

I'm not big on the little yappy dogs, I want a larger dog like a border collie or lab. I'm also allergic to cats, so I can't have one of those for company instead! Unfortunately, while a bit of alone time is appreciated, 10 hours a day, plus sleep is a bit much.