There is no scientific evidence to back claims that cannabis is detrimental to one's physical health. There are studies proving that cannabis has no positive effect on the development of lung cancer or any other cancer. Perhaps you should actually consult valid sources before adopting the '8th grade health class' view on cannabis. I am not a cannabis user myself, so those of you hoping to knock my credibility simply because I have a valid stance on cannabis use can forego that offensive.

I know this isn't really the forum to debate whether or not cannabis is detrimental to someone's health or not, and I know that really, we are attempting to give advice on this specific situation, but I couldn't let this topic go by without mentioning that cannibis has definite links to someone's mental health, even if not their 'physical health'. Argue all you like, but I have worked in this area and the number of young people suffering from drug induced psychosis is incredible. There is definetely a direct link. But I also believe that cannibis is definitely the lesser evil in many sitautions. Doesn't make it a great option though.

There is no scientific evidence to back claims that cannabis is detrimental to one's physical health. There are studies proving that cannabis has no positive effect on the development of lung cancer or any other cancer. Perhaps you should actually consult valid sources before adopting the '8th grade health class' view on cannabis. I am not a cannabis user myself, so those of you hoping to knock my credibility simply because I have a valid stance on cannabis use can forego that offensive.

Fortunately there are articles out there that discuss how recreational drug use is a substantial public health problem. There is a lot of evidence that shows cannabis is associated with psychological and social problems.

I think I love you.

How about you date a guy that isn't smoking pot so we don't see you posting from a half-way house a year from now? Pot is addictive and is a gateway drug to more exciting things that make you dead. Potheads do in fact have a response to this, and there response is "mind your own business". Take his advice. Mind your own business and let him make a permanent flatline with his brainwave patterns.

You put 1 genius in a room with 9 morons. You leave for a week and come back and open the door. Guess what you have? It's not 10 geniuses.

How about you date a guy that isn't smoking pot so we don't see you posting from a half-way house a year from now? Pot is addictive and is a gateway drug to more exciting things that make you dead. Potheads do in fact have a response to this, and there response is "mind your own business". Take his advice. Mind your own business and let him make a permanent flatline with his brainwave patterns.

You put 1 genius in a room with 9 morons. You leave for a week and come back and open the door. Guess what you have? It's not 10 geniuses.

I'll say you still have 9 morons and 1 genius.? Will this be on the final?

I have decided that I'm not going to go through with my "plan" but I am definitely going to pressure him even more than before to quit. If he decides not to, then I'm gone. I am more angry than hurt now.

I appreciate the advice, but I don't appreciate being referred to as basically an immature idiot. At least that's what I get from some of these replys. This whole ordeal is immaturity at its best. The whole idea of getting stoned and being stupid is immature to me. The idea of replacing loved ones with objects is careless. My bf is headed down a path that I know isn't ment for him. I know he is better than this that he is caught up in.

I appreciate those of you who actually understand where I am coming from and all the hate and anger I feel about this situation. I am thankful that there are those that understand that its not the effects of getting high that I am upset with, it's the role it has taken in his life that I don't agree with. I could honestly care less about scientific facts and what pot does or does not do... I just want him to realize that this lifestyle is not best suited for him. I've heard it all from him and from others. "Pot doesn't mess you up. You can't get addicted...blah blah blah"

When you begin to turn your back on your families and friends, then you have a genuine problem. He has a problem with drugs. Other than pressuring him consistently, I don't know what other measures I can take other than just dumping him. His parents are bound to find out sooner or later. I can only imagine the hell they'd put him through for it.

I've had some time to think about this, and I've come to realize that I shouldn't be putting myself in this kind of position. I shouldn't be with a guy I'm not happy with. I shouldn't be upset and worried 24/7. I'm going to let him know this and I'm going to tell him how much it hurts me that he choses an object over me. I'm going to tell him that I know it is definitely not healthy for him to be doing this...both physically and mentally. I'll point out how it replaces all the fun things we used to do together. I'll tell him that I miss everything we once had before he first toked up.

I just hope he listens...

SummerLove, it doesn't matter if marijuana is harmful or beneficial or both, or whether or not it leads to serious problems. the issue is that he likes it and you don't. you thereforeeee have three choices that i can see:

get him to stop... unlikely.

accept him as a stoner... unlikely.

do you know what choice #3 is?

Sorry hon, but even if he DID "stop" when you pressured him, he would either resent you for it, or do it more sneakily.

I dated someone for 2.5 years whom was a pretty big pothead. I had tried it, it was okay but not my thing, and I couldn't anyway as I was prone to getting regularly tested for it through both my athletic and work activities. When I met him I did not touch it at all anymore. When I first started dating him I did not know how much he did it, but he did it a lot.

There are indeed health risks to it, both long term and short term, though for some people with serious illness there are also benefits too it like pain relief. A toke now and then every few months won't do much, but dumping the smoke in your lungs everyday - not healthy. For most though, it's just a way to escape the reality to a degree. I just did not like it when he did it so much, as he just got..boring..lol. It does have mental effects too, again good and bad. Many creative people past and present used it to spur them on. Others just over time find their emotions more deadened. Of course in many places it is also illegal so can impact your criminal record, or your employment. In some careers you can be fired (or not hired at all) for smoking pot. Anyway, my point is not to argue for or against it, personally I think there are far worse things to worry about in the world, but I also recognize that it does affect people, and have seen it first hand.

Anyway, I never pressured him though, I realized this was what he did, his choice. I could not MAKE him change. He knew how I felt and did not do it as much around me, and respected it was not my thing so never pressured me, even when I was around him and his friends doing it.

He also had of course, many friends whom were potheads. They had girlfriends whom pressured them to stop. Guess what? They did it anyway and just lied to their girlfriends. I saw it a lot, because I was around them a lot.

Ultimately, I ended things, in large part due to our different lifestyles and choices - and I include his frequent use of pot in this. He was a wonderful guy, and we loved one another, but ultimately, we just were not right for one another. You can care about someone, love them, and realize that they aren't the right person for you. I hope he is doing well in his life to this day, but I could not force him to change, nor expect him too, and I had to realize that it was time to move on.

Only HE can decide it's not right for him. Even if he does have a problem, only HE can decide he does, and HE has to admit to it that he does and actively seek help for it and want to change. No matter how many times you tell him it's not for him, it won't sink in or hit a nerve until HE decides it's affecting his life too much.

If you have any "mature" advice...lets hear it. If you haven't noticed, I'm not dealing with a "mature" person here. We are both teenagers

Here's the most mature advice: leave him. You know this isn't the right relationship for you. If it was, you wouldn't have to worry about him choosing pot over his girlfriend. He's too immature for you, and it's time to walk.

When someone is addicted to something, they won't quit for anyone but themselves. If he won't quit, he's not that into you.