The kinsey scale?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been sexually attracted to both males and females, but I've only ever been romantically interested in men, unfortunately...

I sexually fantasize about both sexes pretty evenly, yet I only crave "intimacy", in a heterosexual context. I've never fallen in love with a woman, and truth be told, I don't think I could, which is a damn shame.

wow, i never saw this thread before. i like these little quickie tests, and this one fits right in with my thinking of sexuality as a continuum and not a short series of 'pigeonholes', to borrow a term from Day_Walker's year-old post.

"You are mostly heterosexual," it assures me. ehhh... ok. i only dream about women, but i was a bit of a wild child back in the day when fry was two bones a pop. (don't do drugs, kids)

Thats pretty cool! Ive never heard of that. Im "mostly heterosexual".

Brings up a question, though.

Ive heard a theory that says that EVERYBODY has homosexual tendencies. Some are just stronger than others. Do you guys think its true?

For all the straight people: Have you ever thought about being with someone of the same sex?

To be honest I think that reducing sexual orientation down to a number on a scale is just a silly oversimplification (admittedly the Kinsey scale was a big improvement from the previous conceptual framework of just two categories - heterosexual and homosexual).

As has been pointed out on this group before one can think of sexual orientation in terms of three factors

1. To which gender (or both) does a person feel sexual desire?

2. With which gender (or both) has a person had sexual relations?

3. What sexual identity does the person consider themselves to have (i.e. gay straight or bi)?

The trouble is in practice a number of things outside of what we might think of as purely sexual orientation influence the above. For example, 2. has an awful lot to do with opportunity, 3. depends a great deal on on what attidues and ideas of the society/community the person was brought up in and, most importantly, any research into the area depends on assuming that one has managed to get a representative sample of people to actually answer a set of questions and answer them honestly.

• 3 weeks later...

Pardon me for not reading all the posts but just a few thoughts on all of this. First although I feel that most of what I have read related to Kinsey can be useful in gaining some insight into human sexuality I also feel that much of is somehow misses the mark. I just took the test mentioned in the original post and it came up as "Bi with Heterosexual Tendancies", which sexually seems somewhat accurate. However I feel your friend is just as Jaded as most people are in thinking that both gender and sexual orientation is some sort of a binary system, which IMO is far from the truth. Kinsey is right in that there is a line between clinical "Straight" and "Gay" with an infinite number of points in the middle, however there is also a similar line between what we consider "Male" and "Female" as well. So to perhaps put things into a perspective if a person is a Physical Male, but their Psychological gender is primarily Female now what are they if they sexually prefer Men? Are they "Gay" or are they "Heterosexual"? Do we base orientation on the more straight forward physical attributes? (although even here there is the same line.. although I believe it is perhaps more clustered at the ends than the psychological gender line) or do we base it on the internal gender of the person?

Personally I consider myself psychologically intergendered, that is internally I fall pretty much in the middle emotionally, perhaps a little more to the female side in makeup, however I am a physical male and am attracted to females, although I have had some bisexual encounters in a group setting. So where does that really place me?

Below is a link to another test that I've found to be quite relevant in the whole gender sexuality issue that may help to illustrate this point. It's called the COGAITI

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ive never posted anything before but i just wanted to share my opinion. i personally dont think that hetrosexuality or homosexuality exist, i know, you dont like that but give me a sec to explain. i reacon everyone is in the middle, weather they are at one end of the extreme or right in the middle. im not saying that i call everyone bi, id call myself gay, and generally hetrosexual people straight but i theink that everyone has some feelings for both sexes with the acception of asexuals

Bisexual with homosexual tendencies

I would say this accurate. As I have said in another post - I am physical attracted to men but emotionally and physically attracted to women. I don't think bisexuality is a way of wanting your cake and eating it. I think to some it is confusion. Personally to me, it is because I get different things from both sexes. Eventually, i know deep down I would be content in a relationship with a woman. But every human being is different and who I fall in love with may have nothing to do with gender.

One day a man may come into my life and completely change what I want from a relationship. You just never know.

• 2 months later...

I do feel people can be bisexual because its not always about "gender" or "sexual attraction" its about making a connection and how you connect with the other person weather they be male or female. I also think its about weather or not this person is meeting whatever need you may have.

All scales have some marginal error or interpretation. As a psychologist i'm personally not a big fan of that scale at all. Firstly theres are not enough questions for it to be accurate, and i experimented with it and found that it seems to think that everyone is bi.

What you have to say to be diagnosed totally 'straight' is a mystery. I wouldn't let what it says bother you. If you're happy with you, thats good enough.

For me sexuality is a really complex idea - to complex to be explained by one theory. The way I see the Kinsey scale is it is just one way of looking at something to big to understand. Sometimes the Kinsey scale fits what i feel and other times it doesn't - I guess it fits for some people some of the time but not everyone all of the time. I guess it helps me to think aobut things in ways that I haven't before, and that is good (for me).

• 3 weeks later...
what do u think needs to be added in/changed to make it more of an accurate scale?

I honestly don't think a scale can do it. It assumes that all humans can be fit into one narrow definition, going against all of the adversity and differences which human beings stand for.

For an experiment at the university, i took part in a study on Autistic Spectrum Disorder, and answered a huge scale questionnaire, much like the Kinsley scale in layout. I got told in the results i had Asperger's syndrome. Again a diagnosis with which i disagree. One could perhaps show traits of autism, as they could show what may be considered 'defining features' of homosexuality, such as having all opposite sex friends as in the Kinsey scale, without actually being what the scale sets out to test.

• 3 months later...

I just googled kinsay scale and this came up, lol...

I have taken this like 3 times in like 6 months and every time it gives me a different results.. Though my social/sexual situation keeps changing...

1) Heterosexual with bisexual tendancies

2) Homosexual with bisexual tendancies

3) 'You are completely bisexual'

I'm not bloody bisexual you silly quiz... It's judging me because I have had 'heterosexual relations' *shudders*... If anything of those it was mostly 2 lol

I don't see this being too accurate for the most part questions are too general...... however I scored a 3.5

"bisexual with heterosexual tendancies."

That sounds about right in my case since I've always thought of myself as bi-curious but prefer women in every way.

Archived