The kinsey scale?

I've always been sexually attracted to both males and females, but I've only ever been romantically interested in men, unfortunately...

I sexually fantasize about both sexes pretty evenly, yet I only crave "intimacy", in a heterosexual context. I've never fallen in love with a woman, and truth be told, I don't think I could, which is a damn shame.

That's how I feel! I think that girls are gorgeous and in a lot of ways hotter thn guys, but when I imagine my life I can only see myself spending my life with a man. This might just be society's influence on me, but that's how I feel.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

As for your friends view on bisexuality it is legit. On the the other hand most male bisexuals are more sexually attracted to males. For instance they can have sex with another man but have trouble seeing them outside that light. With women a male bisexual may show affection but not nearly the same lust as he would for a man.

Hope this helps

James

Most, not all. I know plenty of bi guys who are much more attracted to women than they are to men.

4.3 - I am completely bisexual. Woohoo, now I have to go bag a girl I agree with the kinsey scale but I don't think people are stuck at one point throughout their whole lives. It is gtrue that for some it is black and white, but just because it is black and white for them doesn't mean they dictate the reality for everyone else.

That's how I feel! I think that girls are gorgeous and in a lot of ways hotter thn guys, but when I imagine my life I can only see myself spending my life with a man. This might just be society's influence on me, but that's how I feel.

I used to feel that way. As much as I found women attractive, I never that I could love one (my use of the word 'one' sounds a bit objectifying to me but i couldn't think of another way to work it!

I have been questioning my own sexuality and believe that I could be bi...I took the test and it states that I am straight.(I scored a 2.1) If I were straight, then why would I have feelings towards women??? I have been in a long term relationship with a male and we plan to get married and have kids etc....Can anyone please help me to understand these feelings? Its a pretty scary situation to be in and I am trying to accept myself and these feelings. It has brought me to a depressive state and honestly I believe that I am over stressing, but at the same time want to be clear and true to myself. Any suggestions? Honestly, I am thinking that I may be bi...I say this because I am attracted to men and enjoy having sex with them. I have never had any relations with women and I am not sure if I could go through with it if given the opportunity. Another question I have is why do these feelings towards women always crop up during times that I am highly stressed? I'm thinking that maybe it is because it is at a time when my body is weak and cannot ward off these feelings so they start to rise up. Any suggestions on ways that I can stop myself from stressing so much and stop wanting the lablel? Honestly, I do not like labels. I just want to be me

• 5 weeks later...

I honestly believe that the Kinsey Scale is a load of bull! I've done it several times always had a different answer. I don't think it's possible for as phsycologist or behaviouralist can dictate or tell someone thier sexuality. Saying that, its useful for if you generally have no idea what your ori is ;-)

hey,i desided why not put in my 2 cents too.I dont really care for the whole classification thing but thats life and i am bisexual.so i obviously believe in it.I have heard all points of this whole bisexuality thing.I guess im one of those "50/50 ppl".Many people have said im a lesbian or that im just confused but i know other wise.i'm not saying i wont eventualy settle down with one sex or another but that wont change my sexuality yeah i'll be devoted to them,if they werent there i'd still be bi.I guess there are quite a few types of bisexuals which makes it so much harder for other people to understand.I dont remember who said it but i agree i dont really think anyone who isnt that bisexual person could truly understand how or why they feel that way.that scale thing i tryed it i'm not saying its wrong or right to have a classifaction test but i will say its like a depression test you cant always believe those things.

I guess maybe many of us take comfort in classifying, quantifying, and that is what makes the kinsey scale so popular. Over 21,000 views on this topic that is phenominal. It would be extremely diffucult to get an accurate result on something that is so subjective. There are so many problems with getting any accurate statistical data. For one thing there is a lot of confusion between what it means what people do compared to how they feel or self indentify themselves.

I honestly believe that the Kinsey Scale is a load of bull! I've done it several times always had a different answer. I don't think it's possible for as phsycologist or behaviouralist can dictate or tell someone thier sexuality. Saying that, its useful for if you generally have no idea what your ori is ;-)

I don't think that the Kinsey Scale is bull. It may well be an oversimplification of human sexuality, although it was a great leap forwards on the intellectual model that preceeded it i.e. completely heterosexual or completely homosexual. I do, however, think the idea that if a person hasn't managed to figure out roughly where on the scale they lie, that a few simple internet based questions will tell them the answer is bull!

What am I on the 'scale'?

I had a few adolescent fumblings with a male friend - wished for more but felt it was too 'forbidden' back then so never tried to pursue it. Celibate until I fell in love for the first time at 26 with a woman, got married, had two children.

Had a sort of midlife crisis, attraction to men surfaced with a vengeance, admitted all to my wife and was amicably divorced.

I've not rushed out like a kid in a sweet shop - I may be wrong, but am beginning see the gay world as too 'sex-centric' with long-term romance unusual and difficult to find at my age. I miss the gentler qualities of the opposite sex more than ever.

I'm not 'pink' gay, proud gay or even comfortable calling myself gay. I want a slow-burning romance to develop at my own pace.

Yours,

Disillusioned

What am I on the 'scale'?

I've not rushed out like a kid in a sweet shop - I may be wrong, but am beginning see the gay world as too 'sex-centric' with long-term romance unusual and difficult to find at my age. I miss the gentler qualities of the opposite sex more than ever.

The scale is about your sexual orientation. Its about who you would like to have a sexual relationship with, not what sort of relationship you would like (romantic, casual, etc.)

I agree that the 'gay-world' is too sex-centred. However there is more to life as a gay man than the rather narrowly defined 'gay-world'. Or to put it more bluntly, if you are looking for love hanging round Canal Street bars is probably not your best bet.

I have a friend who thinks the same way. She thinks that everyone is either straight or gay, and that "bisexual" people are just gay people in denial and trying to hold on to as much heterosexuality as possible.

I think it's wrong, because I like girls, but I like men because I like men, not because I'm forcing myself to.

I just took that kinsey scale test and apparently I'm 3.6 - completely bisexual.

I was expecting, and kinda hoping I was more heterosexual than not. I'm so confused about my sexuality right now, ugh.

• 4 weeks later...
Just browsing through posts and saw this test so took it - it said i was bisexual with homosexual tendencies, yet I identify as 100% lesbian. I don't think the test allows for people who lived a straight life in the past for whatever reason, whether they kept it secret that they were gay or even denied to themselves. Most of my "present" and "ideal" answers were the 7 end of the scale, but the past ones weren't, that doesn't make me bisexual, it just means I wasn't being true to myself at the time! also, I don't see that enjoying the company of my straight friends or friends of the opposite sex (I have gay male friends) makes me any less gay as this test suggests. Still, doing it took my mind off my problems for a few minutes lol.

I would posit that everyone is bisexual, and circumstance drives the intitial experience. My initial experience was hetero, but when the opportunity presented itself, I went for it. I have had full hetero and homosexual experinces. Yet, neither makes me feel that I should have to commit to one or the other.

I would posit that everyone is bisexual, and circumstance drives the intitial experience. My initial experience was hetero, but when the opportunity presented itself, I went for it. I have had full hetero and homosexual experinces. Yet, neither makes me feel that I should have to commit to one or the other.

Why do you feel that you can posit for "everyone" based on your individual experience? I don't think that anyone is required to commit to one or the other, but there are plenty of people who are firmly confident in their identies as heterosexual or homosexual. Some have had experience with both, and some not. I'm sorry...I don't mean to suggest that you cannot be who you are. But, I get irritated when it's suggested that the only true identity is bisexual, because this is absolutely incorrect. I know my own identity as well as you know your's--what is the need to generalize so broadly? Does it make reality less threatening? I don't know. Please don't speak for me, as part of the general everybody, when you assert your theories.

• 2 months later...

Man it * * * * ing pisses me off that some people in this forum don't believe in * * * * ing bisexuality. I'm bisexual and you should just live with the fact that we exist. Furthermore, something that characterizes many true bisexuals, is that on some days we are more on one end, say a 3, and on other days we are a 4. Or, you can take the standpoint that it is easy to draw a line in the middle... everyone on one side is gay, on the other side is straight. It more so draws the matters back to clasification, terminology, and deductive reasoning. To what extent and point is the existence of language to express abstract and personal emotions purposeful. Can we insinuate someone's sexual orientation by solely attraction. ie check out link removed.... there are listed 13 types of bisexuality. But then again, you can postulate that emotions and language are incompatible in wholesome because they represent such an expansive flux of conditions and factors that no such thing as straight, gay, or bi exists. To this extent, you could argue terms such as angry, mad, sad, upset, are all ineffeicient and nonexistent because no 1 emotion can be identical to another. We can catagorize emotions as infinite factors combining to produce a response within a person. Then, is sexual orientation just an emotion? Or, we can go back to the argument that we recognize that no 1 word can express an emotion, thereforee we have to crudely catagorize them into varying, understandable, and succinct categories ie: bisexual, homosexual, heterosexual. Before doing that however, you might need to even define sexual orientation. I'll leave that one up to you.

• 2 months later...

I came out as 3.9 completely bi sexual which is how I identify.

The questions were very vage though and some werent relevent.

Im shocked that some people still dont believe in bi sexuality, I believe everyone is of a bi sexual nature just on varying levels with some choosing not to be open to these feelings.

I believe everyone is of a bi sexual nature just on varying levels with some choosing not to be open to these feelings.

It would probably be best to just speak for yourself. Just because you believe that you are bisexual doesnt mean that everyone has to be, but unlike you they are just not being honest with themselves.

It would probably be best to just speak for yourself. Just because you believe that you are bisexual doesnt mean that everyone has to be, but unlike you they are just not being honest with themselves.

QFT. It's just like straight people assuming gays are really straight but think they are gay because they lack affection (my parents' wise words), or gays assuming bi's are really gay but don't have the guts to own up and thus choose the "easy middle ground". Let's all just be nice to each other!

Archived