Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

People That Come to Your Door with Strange Sales Tactics

I am chuckling over an incident that happened the other day at my house.

A man rang the door bell and I answered it.

He was standing there with a knife in one hand and two clementines in the other. He asked me if I wanted to purchase a bag of clementines. I said, how much, he said $20. I said, wow, that's a lot for a bag of clementines. As he's talking to me, he's waving the knife around.

Who goes up to someone's house with a knife in one hand and a bag of oranges in the other to sell them clementines?

I've always lived in an apartment building so it has happened on and off over the years - I never- ever -open the door.  Ever.  Way too risky no matter where.  I had a doordash guy drop off a delivery that wasn't for me outside my door and leave so I wish he hadn't as I'd have told him right away it wasn't mine -for him I might have opened the door if I saw the uniform, etc.  Or could tell. Maybe.  You're so fortunate it just made for an amusing anecdote.  

I think the only sellers might have been like girl scout -in the buildings I have lived in typically we were told in advance if this was possible so we'd know if people were coming directly to our doors.

This person came to your house with a knife and waved it likely to distract you so he could see inside and see if he or others should return to get inside.  By engaging in conversation you gave him even more time to do so.  It sounds like you are willing to take that risk and you've enjoyed sharing it as an anecdote about a salesperson.  I don't think he had any interest in selling.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I've always lived in an apartment building so it has happened on and off over the years - I never- ever -open the door.  Ever.  Way too risky no matter where.  I had a doordash guy drop off a delivery that wasn't for me outside my door and leave so I wish he hadn't as I'd have told him right away it wasn't mine -for him I might have opened the door if I saw the uniform, etc.  Or could tell. Maybe.  You're so fortunate it just made for an amusing anecdote.  

I think the only sellers might have been like girl scout -in the buildings I have lived in typically we were told in advance if this was possible so we'd know if people were coming directly to our doors.

This person came to your house with a knife and waved it likely to distract you so he could see inside and see if he or others should return to get inside.  By engaging in conversation you gave him even more time to do so.  It sounds like you are willing to take that risk and you've enjoyed sharing it as an anecdote about a salesperson.  I don't think he had any interest in selling.

Thanks Batya. 

I think my fear response was a bit delayed because I was confused by the situation.

I'm chuckling about it now because I think he had the knife because he was using to open the clementines.

It was just a bizarre situation.

I normally look through the peep hole before I open the door but I was in the middle of cooking dinner and didn't think twice about it. When he showed me the clementines I was momentarily confused because I'm used to seeing people selling oranges on the street corner, not coming to my front door with a knife.

But I'll definitely be more cautious in the future.

1 minute ago, yogacat said:

Thanks Batya. 

I think my fear response was a bit delayed because I was confused by the situation.

I'm chuckling about it now because I think he had the knife because he was using to open the clementines.

It was just a bizarre situation.

I normally look through the peep hole before I open the door but I was in the middle of cooking dinner and didn't think twice about it. When he showed me the clementines I was momentarily confused because I'm used to seeing people selling oranges on the street corner, not coming to my front door with a knife.

But I'll definitely be more cautious in the future.

I'm glad you plan to be more cautious in the future.  I think he had the fruit as a prop and the knife in case he needed to threaten you with it -if he decided to at that point enter your home -sounds like he decided not to this time and sounds like if he comes back you will not let him in (same for if he sends his cohorts to do so).  I have seen countless people selling produce on streets for many years -very normal.  It's not normal to wave a knife at a stranger.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I'm glad you plan to be more cautious in the future.  I think he had the fruit as a prop and the knife in case he needed to threaten you with it -if he decided to at that point enter your home -sounds like he decided not to this time and sounds like if he comes back you will not let him in (same for if he sends his cohorts to do so).  I have seen countless people selling produce on streets for many years -very normal.  It's not normal to wave a knife at a stranger.

That's really concerning, I really didn't think about that. It's weird because it seemed like he kept trying to get me to come out of the entryway by motioning to the street. So it's like did he want to get me alone on the street, or show me his hidden stash of fruit, or just to create enough of a distraction to enter the house?

3 hours ago, yogacat said:

That's really concerning, I really didn't think about that. It's weird because it seemed like he kept trying to get me to come out of the entryway by motioning to the street. So it's like did he want to get me alone on the street, or show me his hidden stash of fruit, or just to create enough of a distraction to enter the house?

He was up to no good.  No person who is legit is going to approach a potential customer that way.  Ever.  Who knows or cares -if you came out, he could go in. Or have his people who were waiting around who you could not see -go in.  Perhaps he had a hidden stash of drugs he wanted to show you.  And who needs to show a potential customer a weapon waving around? 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Batya33 said:

He was up to no good.  No person who is legit is going to approach a potential customer that way.  Ever.  Who knows or cares -if you came out, he could go in. Or have his people who were waiting around who you could not see -go in.  Perhaps he had a hidden stash of drugs he wanted to show you.  And who needs to show a potential customer a weapon waving around? 

Thanks. Next time I will remember to look through my peephole! 

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

The only ones who visit me are the missionaries with their white shirts and dark ties who want to "check up on me". 

I'd get those too. A mother and her daughter at my door once and the little girl was absolutely adorable. I couldn't resist listening to what they had to say, knowing how much effort the little girl had put into rehearsing. It wouldn't have felt right to just turn them away without hearing them out.

Luckily they never came back. 😆

Yeah, the little daughter looked so very excited. A part of me wondered if the mother was using the daughter as an excuse to canvass the neighborhood, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. I know kids are very enthusiastic about everything, so I couldn't help but feel sorry for the girl if she was let down every time someone refused to listen. 

12 minutes ago, yogacat said:

Yeah, the little daughter looked so very excited. A part of me wondered if the mother was using the daughter as an excuse to canvass the neighborhood, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. I know kids are very enthusiastic about everything, so I couldn't help but feel sorry for the girl if she was let down every time someone refused to listen. 

For me personally I wouldn't risk it for safety and leading them on to come back again.  And again.  In my experience kids are individuals and their level of enthusiasm is individual. If in that situation the child was enthusiastic it may have been because of a promise by her mom to reward her with a treat or because she was generally excited about seeing into other people's homes etc. Or mom threatened her if she didn't fake enthusiasm.  You never know.  

5 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

For me personally I wouldn't risk it for safety and leading them on to come back again.  And again.  In my experience kids are individuals and their level of enthusiasm is individual. If in that situation the child was enthusiastic it may have been because of a promise by her mom to reward her with a treat or because she was generally excited about seeing into other people's homes etc. Or mom threatened her if she didn't fake enthusiasm.  You never know.  

Oh, I certainly hope it wasn't because of any coercion from her mom! That would be terrible. But unfortunately, you're right, we never really know the reasons behind our interactions with people, and sometimes it's best to err on the side of caution for personal safety.

My aunt used to listen to these people when they came to her door as well (a different religious background), not out of any interest in what they had to say but rather out of respect for them taking time out to talk.

I was open to hearing what they had to say because they are a different denomination from me and I don't think any one religion has it all right. 

5 minutes ago, yogacat said:

Oh, I certainly hope it wasn't because of any coercion from her mom! That would be terrible. But unfortunately, you're right, we never really know the reasons behind our interactions with people, and sometimes it's best to err on the side of caution for personal safety.

My aunt used to listen to these people when they came to her door as well (a different religious background), not out of any interest in what they had to say but rather out of respect for them taking time out to talk.

I was open to hearing what they had to say because they are a different denomination from me and I don't think any one religion has it all right. 

Yes - I personally prioritize my safety and respectfully keep my distance in every case.  Including when I'm approached on the street which I am fairly regularly.  I like learning about different religions but not from people who randomly approach me. Over the last 40 plus years I've learned about several different religions and continue to learn. I have other ways to learn and respect that this is your way!  And respect your Aunt's judgment on how to show respect.  

• Thanks 1

Some religious cults tell the children they won't get into heaven (or whatever their heaven equivalent is) if they don't do exactly as they're told. They're told that "God" will be angry with them if they disobey.

When I was sent to a religious school one of the things that bothered me the most (other than the blatant money grabbing) was the leaders of this church telling tiny little five year olds they were sinners who would go to hell if they even had a "wicked" thought.  That thoughts were just as bad as deeds.  Seeing the terrified looks on the faces of those small children really pissed me off.  There's no need to frighten children like that.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was coming home from my errands tonight and saw them again roaming around the parking lot. Around 8:30 in the evening.  If they came to my door around that time of night, I would not be a happy camper. Especially if I had a family.  

• Haha 1

I haven't had any at night thank goodness. That would seriously freak me out! The guy with the clementines and a knife was enough to make me double check all the locks on my doors that night.

Another time a woman came selling homemade bracelets she made, I felt bad but turned her away anyway.

• Like 1