Finally met up. Now...

woodsrose10

1 minute ago, midnightdeirdre said:

The best way to describe how differently autism effects those who have it, would be like describing how differently pregnancy effects women who are pregnant.

For example, 2 pregnant women might share similar pregnancy symptoms: they both have morning sickness the first three months. Then, one woman will crave melted chocolate nonstop for the rest of the pregnancy, while the other pregnant woman will crave nothing but salty foods and be downright disgusted by chocolate.

See how both pregnant women shared similar symptoms, but also completely different ones?

Yes and in your situation do you believe you are able to consent to quickie sex in a car in the same way a typical adult in your age range can? The rest is kind of off on a tangent.  

A craving is not the same as decision making capabilities. A better comparison would be a woman who experiences pregnancy symptoms and takes a test and sees her doctor while another woman who experiences the same symptoms but has no knowledge of how pregnancy affects the body presumes she has a cancerous tumor and avoids the doctor (and I do know someone who did this!)

As you said, it affects people differently. 

Do your parents prefer to keep a close eye on you because you have made poor decisions in the past?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, boltnrun said:

A craving is not the same as decision making capabilities. A better comparison would be a woman who experiences pregnancy symptoms and takes a test and sees her doctor while another woman who experiences the same symptoms but has no knowledge of how pregnancy affects the body presumes she has a cancerous tumor and avoids the doctor (and I do know someone who did this!)

Interesting, she honestly thought it was tumor? Did she abort it?

1 minute ago, midnightdeirdre said:

Interesting, she honestly thought it was tumor? Did she abort it?

I think she meant that hypothetically.  If a person didn't know she was pregnant she might think it was a tumor but I'm certain that person would be told she was carrying a fetus not a tumor and wouldn't "abort it" just because she'd been mistaken and I'm sure a health care provider wouldn't abort a fetus just because the woman perceived it as a tumor.  

I'm a mom of a teenage boy. No -not all moms or parents are "overprotective."  Some are underprotective. Some are overprotective at times and many are simply -parenting to the best of their abilities.  There's no parenting manual.

• Like 1

No, that really happened. And of course she didn't abort! A doctor would know the difference between a fetus and a tumor. She didn't even see a doctor until she was over five months along. 

So your parents require you to report to them because they're "overprotective"?  No, "all" mothers do not require their 40 year old children to report to them. However, I would surmise they are taking your condition into account. Since you say you don't have a history of making bad decisions you can remind them of that and tell them they need to trust your judgement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

No, that really happened. And of course she didn't abort! A doctor would know the difference between a fetus and a tumor. She didn't even see a doctor until she was over five months along. 

So your parents require you to report to them because they're "overprotective"?  No, "all" mothers do not require their 40 year old children to report to them. However, I would surmise they are taking your condition into account. Since you say you don't have a history of making bad decisions you can remind them of that and tell them they need to trust your judgement.

Wow!! That is some story! And then she realized I suppose why her tumor was kicking her lol.  
I agree. But also reminds me when my mom was in her 40s her parents lived across the street - a small street - and every time she left their home to return home her dad would say “watch how you cross!”

53 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Parenting is a Ringling Brother’s circus. 

Yes. Lots of juggling, twisting yourself into a pretzel and occasional animal sounds …. Often more than 3 rings and yes sometimes we or I acted overprotective and often we took a deep breath and sent him out into the big world or down a water slide or to write his very own 7 essays as to why his number one choice of high school should admit him when he’d really never done that before.

In general I often fight a tendency to be overprotective and I fight it for his development but he sees me sometimes as overprotective but as an adult I know I’m not being overly so. It’s a matter of perspective.  

OP - I do think adult communication with your parents will help plus show with your choices and actions you are independent and have common sense. 

1 hour ago, midnightdeirdre said:

My mom in particular has always been over-protective. 

That's ok. You have a full time job, and some independence. However it's still ok to do things you want and keep certain personal things private (such as what happens on dates) . Perhaps assure your parents you're ok with brief updates such as "getting a snack with a friend" or "I'll be home by xyz".  That's all they really need to know.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

And then she realized I suppose why her tumor was kicking her lol.  

She attributed the kicking to gas. I'm not even kidding.

This is someone I love dearly so I'm not making fun of her. Just making the point that people don't always have knowledge about things that others consider to be common knowledge. And that's why I asked the OP if her parents believe she tends to make poor or impulsive decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I lost focus on this, it went into some weird pregnancy/ tumor thing, I am just going to reply to the original post. since there are adults involved would you appreciate your parents telling you about their sexual relationship and or adventures? What did they eat and what they didn't eat? I hear you and your concerns but you must move past this. You are an adult and as much as you want to share with them, trust me it would make them uncomfortable. Take it as it is, process it, learn from it, and move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, midnightdeirdre said:

OK everyone. I'm happy to say he and I finally had some beautiful intimacy 🌹 And I finally told him that super-personal thing. He was very happy to hear it and implied he wouldn't mind meeting up again. (Of course, so do I!) 

Why is it implied - you had intercourse with him -express not implied -so why not express when you want to hang out again and make a plan?