Moved to a new state--mad at myself

speak

I recently relocated to TX from GA. I work in property management and the property I worked at in GA sold. So I took a leap of faith to go to a new state where there was bigger opportunity with the company I was with before my location sold. The day I arrived in TX (16 hour drive, $3000 spent, time and energy) the Property Manager at the new location informed me that the new property I was set to work at was being sold. It felt like a gut punch. Especially since I was going to move onsite at the same apartment community I would be working at. According to my teammates, they were puzzled as to why I was even hired and told me that they knew way before I arrived. Even before I accepted my offer. 

It's been incredibly difficult to process everything. The new management company came in to complete due diligence and walk units. They wanted to hire us and informed current management that they planned to offer us jobs. However, my regional/company is not working with the company coming in. Therefore, they are not allowing them in to offer us jobs. Which would allow me to stay put in the same position/apartment home.

I am probably going to move back home. I am stressed and feel sick to my stomach each day. Am I wrong for being upset? Am I wrong for feeling deceived? I just need someone to listen.

Thank you,

Speak

• Sad 1

No, you absolutely are not wrong to be upset. They did you very wrong.

I also don't understand why you had to pay your own moving expenses. However you can write them off on your tax return. I would also ask them to at least pay your expenses to move back to GA. 

I too was transferred out of state and when I got there I was told they had moved me to a different position, one that I definitely did NOT want. It was easier for me, though, because I actually moved back to my home state so I just stayed after I left the company.

I'm so sorry this happened. 

Sadly, from what Ive heard, it happens in USA. They hire somebody from different state or country then change the terms of deal once you arrive since they know you already relocated and have no other choice. Heard the case of one very big tech company doing that to their employee who moved from Canada so she can work for them. 

Dont be mad at yourself, this is not on you. 

2 hours ago, boltnrun said:

No, you absolutely are not wrong to be upset. They did you very wrong.

I also don't understand why you had to pay your own moving expenses. However you can write them off on your tax return. I would also ask them to at least pay your expenses to move back to GA. 

I too was transferred out of state and when I got there I was told they had moved me to a different position, one that I definitely did NOT want. It was easier for me, though, because I actually moved back to my home state so I just stayed after I left the company.

I'm so sorry this happened. 

Thank you for empathizing with me and listening. I feel so deafened and like a failure 

• Sad 1

No, you absolutely have every right to feel this way. This situation absolutely sucks, and I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope that in the end something good will come out of this whole thing and you'll be able to see the silver lining in it all someday down the road. This is not your fault. It's a bad situation.