Stomach flu nausea

Hi all! 

I recently had a stomach bug and it wasn’t fun. Lots of throwing up, nausea, etc. It’s passed by now, but I still have this specific food aversion that I’m trying to get rid off. 
My mom sends these vegan spreads to me from overseas and I love them! I’m not vegan, but they are easy to send and so good. They come in different flavors and you can spread them on bread or use as dip. There’s Indian curry, apple and leeks, red beets…. I used to be obsessed, getting excited to dig them out and see which one I’d open. They come in cute little glass jars too!

Anyway, the last thing I ate before my stomach bug hit was one of the spreads. It was apple leek to be precise and even writing about it makes me feel slightly unwell. It’s been a good two weeks now that I’m healthy again, but as soon as I see the jars in my pantry I just want to throw up again. When does this food aversion pass you think? Should I just force one down to show my body it’s fine? Does it go away on its own or have I ruined these for me now? I’m actually sad about this, because I liked them so much. 

This isn’t anything earth shattering but maybe someone can help and has experience!

I think it's fine to avoid it since it's one very specific type of food/condiment.  I got food poisoning at a specific fast food chain and I never ate there again and never will - and it's actually not really around anymore and was never very big so it didn't affect my life either way.  

It's quite possible there is listeria or salmonella in those spreads so I would avoid them.  It's hard to check on recalls when the food is from overseas or maybe it wasn't packaged/store properly.  

Yes sometimes it goes away and sometimes not, I find.  I'm sorry you were ill!  I love spreads on toast too but I do nut butters, avocado, nutella, etc. those spreads sound good -can you make something similar or buy something similar from a reputable place?

• Like 2

Don't eat the vegan spreads. 

Eat plain, bland food for a while.  Drink broth and eat dry toast.  Keep it light.  Wait several weeks and then try the vegan spreads taking small bites,  don't eat very much and gradually resume your normal diet.  Drink plain, weak, herbal tea.  Get well soon.

Or, avoid the vegan spreads.  Perhaps you had food poisoning.

• Like 3

I would not force anything -this is a vegan spread. I'd feel differently if you simply couldn't eat anything or drink anything -and that's why what Cherylyn suggested works.  Gradually introducing foods back in. I wouldn't eat those spreads anymore because it sounds like food poisoning but search up something similar.

My daughter had a stomach bug before me. I’m sure it’s something that was going around. I was the one who mainly cleaned up after her, so that’s definitely how I got it. Had nothing to do with the spread (she didn’t eat it) and it sadly was the last thing I ate before getting sick. I’m totally fine now, can eat anything, just have an aversion to my beloved spread. I’ll take it easy though and just wait a while until my body doesn’t respond to it anymore. It’ll probably pass. Thanks everyone!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BecxyRex said:

It’s been a good two weeks now that I’m healthy again, but as soon as I see the jars in my pantry I just want to throw up again. When does this food aversion pass you think? Should I just force one down to show my body it’s fine? Does it go away on its own or have I ruined these for me now? I’m actually sad about this, because I liked them so much. 

IMO, for now, just the 'thought' of that can make you feel ill, so give all of that a rest for a while.

Take it easy with your system... ease into all your foods.

Maybe in a couple months, see if it doesn't cause such an effect on you.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, BecxyRex said:

My daughter had a stomach bug before me. I’m sure it’s something that was going around. I was the one who mainly cleaned up after her, so that’s definitely how I got it. Had nothing to do with the spread (she didn’t eat it) and it sadly was the last thing I ate before getting sick. I’m totally fine now, can eat anything, just have an aversion to my beloved spread. I’ll take it easy though and just wait a while until my body doesn’t respond to it anymore. It’ll probably pass. Thanks everyone!

Yes seems so but check if you can for any recalls.  

I got brutal food poisoning on a trip to Indonesia in year 10, spent the last three days in the hotel room in agony. The food I suspected was a chicken curry and for 6 months I wouldn’t touch chicken. One day I decided to make myself brave it because there was this one dish I really liked making. I remember cooking it up and feeling like it was not appetising at all! Ate a bit, it tasted great, didn’t get sick. Aversion was gone from that point on. 

More recently gave myself brutal food poisoning eating 10 day old cream. But I didn’t make the connection at the time, I associated it with home made palak paneer and felt an aversion to that. Ironically at no time have I felt an aversion to cream, the thing that most likely poisoned me. 

I like the wait a little while longer and then eat just a very small amount of one idea. I think when your body realised it’s harmless the aversion will go

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, 1a1a said:

I got brutal food poisoning on a trip to Indonesia in year 10, spent the last three days in the hotel room in agony. The food I suspected was a chicken curry and for 6 months I wouldn’t touch chicken. One day I decided to make myself brave it because there was this one dish I really liked making. I remember cooking it up and feeling like it was not appetising at all! Ate a bit, it tasted great, didn’t get sick. Aversion was gone from that point on. 

More recently gave myself brutal food poisoning eating 10 day old cream. But I didn’t make the connection at the time, I associated it with home made palak paneer and felt an aversion to that. Ironically at no time have I felt an aversion to cream, the thing that most likely poisoned me. 

I like the wait a little while longer and then eat just a very small amount of one idea. I think when your body realised it’s harmless the aversion will go

Thanks so much! Interesting that your aversion went away once you had a small bite. I’ll give it a bit of time and try a small amount.

Years ago, I had a stomach bug not long after I had worked a shift in a restaurant where the cooks had been picking and preparing it for dinner service. The whole restaurant smelled of basil, right at the same time that I was getting sick. 

I have never enjoyed eating basil since. And I haven't forced it on myself either. I've had a little here and there but I've never been able to stomach it. It is what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Becxy!

This is so strange! I was JUST talking about this exact thing to the hubby yesterday!

For me, it never did!

I used to work in a coffee shop that served light salads and scones and things like that -  they used to have this Caesar Salad, I could smell it. Anyway, they had just started making this dish to advertise and sell. I felt so strange, went home from my shift and had one of the worst stomach bug illnesses I have ever experienced! And Y’know what? I cannot even stomach the smell of Caesar Salad to this day! And this was… 11 years ago!!! I didn’t even eat it before! But why I started talking about it was the husband brought me back a Caesar Salad wrap for lunch yesterday and honestly; I could hardly even try it. I didn’t let him know but I threw the whole thing out.

Maybe it’s just me! This is a curious thread! 

I’ve definitely had a massive aversion too it ever since but then again, I was never a mega fan in the first place!

x

• Like 1

There is definitely something going around also Bex - my Mum has been sick with something so similar, and she is never sick, not vomiting anyway.

Viral flu? Stomach bug? Something like that. I’m glad you’re feeling better! 

I dread anything like that! The stuff of Mama nightmares! You did well!

x

• Like 1

Hey Lolita! Argh, I have a feeling I may not ever enjoy my vegan spread again. What a shame! Sounds like once you develop an aversion is persists. 
How interesting you just had that same situation with your hubby 🙂 I love Cesar salad and would be so sad if I couldn’t eat it anymore. Do you remember those apple desert things from McDonalds back in the 90s? We never went to McDonalds much, but the one time we did, I got one and it made me so sick. Thinking about it now, I wouldn’t want to try one to this day. 
Hopefully y’all stay healthy over there! Nausea Is just so debilitating…

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, BecxyRex said:

Hey Lolita! Argh, I have a feeling I may not ever enjoy my vegan spread again. What a shame! Sounds like once you develop an aversion is persists. 
How interesting you just had that same situation with your hubby 🙂 I love Cesar salad and would be so sad if I couldn’t eat it anymore. Do you remember those apple desert things from McDonalds back in the 90s? We never went to McDonalds much, but the one time we did, I got one and it made me so sick. Thinking about it now, I wouldn’t want to try one to this day. 
Hopefully y’all stay healthy over there! Nausea Is just so debilitating…

Thanks chick!

I’m glad you guys are over it! And I LOVE THOSE APPLE PIES!!!!!

If it gives you any hope I was never a massive fan of Caesar salad so I think you can get round it! 

I wish I could eat all the junk food ever, then get a stomach bug - LOL! That might keep me on track huh 🫡🤣

x

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Thanks chick!

I’m glad you guys are over it! And I LOVE THOSE APPLE PIES!!!!!

If it gives you any hope I was never a massive fan of Caesar salad so I think you can get round it! 

I wish I could eat all the junk food ever, then get a stomach bug - LOL! That might keep me on track huh 🫡🤣

x

That’s actually brilliant! I’m gonna try eating Cajun chips next time I have a stomach bug, because I’m so addicted to them. Not good for my hips 😉