Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Family and Life Updates

boltnrun

If ONE more person cheerfully suggests "eat fruit!" when I mention that I miss sweets or that sweets look good I'm going to 😡. If fruit is just as enjoyable and satisfying as ice cream or pastries why aren't THEY eating it instead of the cookies or candy bar?????

Test results should be available Monday.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

If ONE more person cheerfully suggests "eat fruit!" when I mention that I miss sweets or that sweets look good I'm going to 😡. If fruit is just as enjoyable and satisfying as ice cream or pastries why aren't THEY eating it instead of the cookies or candy bar?????

Test results should be available Monday.

Good luck! Lately it is  decent substitute for me at a specific time -before I go to bed I have a small snack and often it involves a small amount of fruit which is more satisfying than sweets because of what my body seems to need. Otherwise I totally get it!!

I get that fruit is good and makes a nice snack, but these people are pretending that an apple is equivalent to chocolate chip cookies or a bowl of tin roof sundae ice cream as far as taste and enjoyability. They're not the same at all. Sure, some people would turn down the cookie or ice cream in favor of an apple, but for those who really miss cookies or ice cream and are craving them, an apple just isn't going to cut it. For me, anyway. I'm not speaking for anyone else. And they're telling me this while they're munching on a lemon Danish 🙄 It's almost as bad as the people who tell me "Oh, just one can't hurt!" Um, yes it can. The last time I tried eating a sweet I felt like I was going to throw up. 

Success!!!! My blood glucose went down from 103 to 99 just from cutting out sugar.

I still have high cholesterol and a vitamin D deficiency and I don't know what's up with the blood/carbon dioxide thing since she didn't have those retested. I'll keep walking and watching my intake of fatty foods and will continue with the low to no sugar diet and will keep taking the vitamin D supplement. 

I also don't know why I'm so fatigued and thirsty all the time but I will just go with it's due to my thyroid disease. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Success!!!! My blood glucose went down from 103 to 99 just from cutting out sugar.

I still have high cholesterol and a vitamin D deficiency and I don't know what's up with the blood/carbon dioxide thing since she didn't have those retested. I'll keep walking and watching my intake of fatty foods and will continue with the low to no sugar diet and will keep taking the vitamin D supplement. 

I also don't know why I'm so fatigued and thirsty all the time but I will just go with it's due to my thyroid disease. 

Hooray!!!!! So that blood Carbon Dioxide thing. I feel like once or twice mine was ok but on the verge and maybe was no biggie?? You should be proud of yourself !

So many charities. So many toy drives. So much is needed and so many in need. Every year during the holiday season I choose a cause or organization to donate to. And one year I decided to forego donating and put together snack bags for the unhoused in my neighborhood and placed them where the people congregate. I hope they were a bit helpful. This year my workplace is having a toy drive and I will give away a blanket and some warm clothing to someone who needs it.

One year I tried to organize a blanket and warm clothing drive at my family holiday gathering but only one of my cousins brought something. That was an epic flop. 

I don't have a lot extra but I can do something. I have to. I can't just sit in my warm apartment and wrap gifts for family and friends and not care about people who have nothing. It would be evil. 

• Thanks 2

😡

I was five minutes late signing into work this morning and I HATE being late. The street I usually take to get on the freeway was shut down for police activity (not sure what it was) so I had to take a ten minute detour. My timeframe in the morning is super tight. And no, I won't get up earlier. 4:20 am is early enough, thank you very much!  It's not like I'll get into trouble. As long as I consistently sign in between 6:00 and 7:00 am it's fine with my manager and I signed in at 6:35. But that means I have to stay five minutes later. Five minutes can translate into an extra 20 minutes for the drive home. Lame. 

• Sad 1

Today is our work potluck. I have had to really just deal with and/or dismiss my anxieties this week. Yesterday was a charity event I helped with that required me to be in a very small conference room with about 15 people in close quarters. Today is the potluck. I'm having to touch a lot of stuff and just not get upset about communal serving spoons, etc. I also took myself out to lunch last weekend and used communal salt and pepper shakers and I sat at the counter literally six inches from a man in the next seat. I just tell myself "deal with it, there's nothing you can do about it". If I want to do things or participate in events this is what I have to do. 

I really want this anxiety over touching things and being around people to go away. I want to be normal like everyone else. Other people don't freak out if they touch a door handle and they don't use a Kleenex to open their car doors. Those things are silly and I want to stop. 

On 12/11/2023 at 1:08 PM, boltnrun said:

That is great you got it down ! 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

That is great you got it down ! 

Thanks! I was determined to do whatever I could to correct this. I cut out probably 85% of my sugar intake. No more cookies, pastries or sugary ice cream. I do occasionally treat myself to a bowl of no sugar added lactose free ice cream (2 grams of sugar per serving) but that's it. Everything else is either zero sugar or has 2 grams or less. A side benefit is I have lost over six pounds. I hope to lose four more. 

I haven't heard from my doctor but last time she waited two weeks to contact me. I expect it to be sometime after the holidays. 

Just now, boltnrun said:

Thanks! I was determined to do whatever I could to correct this. I cut out probably 85% of my sugar intake. No more cookies, pastries or sugary ice cream. I do occasionally treat myself to a bowl of no sugar added lactose free ice cream (2 grams of sugar per serving) but that's it. Everything else is either zero sugar or has 2 grams or less. A side benefit is I have lost over six pounds. I hope to lose four more. 

I haven't heard from my doctor but last time she waited two weeks to contact me. I expect it to be sometime after the holidays. 

I occasionally have the no sugar added lactose free as well. 

Yeah, at this point she might contact you after the holidays. 

My doctor will have to do another blood test now because these medications can cause reduced B12. I would everything you possibly can to remain in normal levels. These meds are a living hell at least for me. For many it isn’t after the first week or so but for me living hell . Benefit though I don’t really feel like eating because I feel like crap so I don’t dare put more in my stomach than I need to. 

Yep, the very low sugar diet is a lifestyle change that is permanent. I don't want to put myself at risk. I have enough health issues. I don't need to add to them, especially when it's something completely within my control. And I love the weight loss, not having to pee a zillion times a day and I'm saving money too. 

I do feel wistful when I walk or drive past my favorite bakery. I will probably allow myself to pop in once a month for a plain croissant. But no more of their excellent matcha lattes with oat milk. They add vanilla syrup to them. I could ask for no vanilla syrup, I suppose...and no more of their absolutely to die for cookies. They are actually NOT worth dying for. 

The potluck was a lot of fun.  I just ignored having to use communal serving spoons and communal beverages and that I was in a small-ish room with 24 other people.  I mean, I was AWARE but I chose to just carry on anyway.  And I'm glad I did.  Yes, I ate food people prepared at home.  I've never had trouble doing that.  If something someone cooked at home is going to kill me or give me hepatitis I guess I'll find out.  Everything I ate was pretty good and some of it was really delicious.  It was a fun event.  The only thing I flat out refused to do was get on the floor when we posed for a group photo.  I just pulled the old lady excuse and no one seemed to think anything about it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

The potluck was a lot of fun.  I just ignored having to use communal serving spoons and communal beverages and that I was in a small-ish room with 24 other people.  I mean, I was AWARE but I chose to just carry on anyway.  And I'm glad I did.  Yes, I ate food people prepared at home.  I've never had trouble doing that.  If something someone cooked at home is going to kill me or give me hepatitis I guess I'll find out.  Everything I ate was pretty good and some of it was really delicious.  It was a fun event.  The only thing I flat out refused to do was get on the floor when we posed for a group photo.  I just pulled the old lady excuse and no one seemed to think anything about it.

That's funny - I went to a potluck dessert party at the office on Tuesday but with all the crap going around (yes I have my flu and covid shots!) I just was turned off at sampling homemade desserts etc.  But also I don't "need" to eat more sweets!  It was mostly for the staff -we chip in to get them Target gift cards every year and they REALLY appreciate it.  We also do a toy drive for foster kids so that's always nice to see- the display of presents waiting to be wrapped and sent off in time for Xmas.  I telework a lot so it was nice to go in.  

I did enjoy it.

I have never worried about catching something like a cold from food someone cooked. I figure, someone cooks my food in a restaurant or a takeout place and I can't see if they're sick or if they washed their hands or whatever. It's funny that it's not something that has ever worried me even with my anxiety. I even ate at buffets fairly regularly (pre-pandemic) and it never bothered me. 

I got a gift from the white elephant gift game we played and it's actually something nice. I'm going to regift it to my cousins who are hosting our family gathering.