Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Anxiety Help - Journal

boltnrun

He was "evaluated" by a mental health official from the county and decreed to not be a danger to himself or others and not in need of hospitalization.  If attempting suicide while home alone with his child and experiencing hallucinations doesn't qualify as needing treatment, I don't know what does.  

They ASKED him if he felt he needed to be hospitalized!  Of course he said no.  He doesn't acknowledge the voices he's hearing and things he's seeing aren't real, so he thinks he's being reasonable.

My cousin is frantic.  She has to go to work because they are barely above water financially and she can't afford to miss even one day of work, but she's afraid for their child's emotional safety.  

This country doesn't prioritize mental health treatment. It's evil.

I needed to spend some time at the beach today.  It was an absolutely beautiful day.  I even went downtown to get some lunch and a coffee.  I almost never go out for coffee but I wanted it today.  I was originally going to go to my favorite ocean bluff hiking trail but it's a 30 minute drive and as soon as I got into my car I had to pee (of course!) which made me go back home.  Super annoying...but then I ended up at the beach walking path and downtown later on so the day was salvaged.

Here's a pic.  I live right across the street from the ocean.  

Home Pic.jpg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, boltnrun said:

He was "evaluated" by a mental health official from the county and decreed to not be a danger to himself or others and not in need of hospitalization.  If attempting suicide while home alone with his child and experiencing hallucinations doesn't qualify as needing treatment, I don't know what does.  

They ASKED him if he felt he needed to be hospitalized!  Of course he said no.  He doesn't acknowledge the voices he's hearing and things he's seeing aren't real, so he thinks he's being reasonable.

My cousin is frantic.  She has to go to work because they are barely above water financially and she can't afford to miss even one day of work, but she's afraid for their child's emotional safety.  

This country doesn't prioritize mental health treatment. It's evil.

That is criminal. Not only is he in danger and that child is in danger . 

46 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I needed to spend some time at the beach today.  It was an absolutely beautiful day.  I even went downtown to get some lunch and a coffee.  I almost never go out for coffee but I wanted it today.  I was originally going to go to my favorite ocean bluff hiking trail but it's a 30 minute drive and as soon as I got into my car I had to pee (of course!) which made me go back home.  Super annoying...but then I ended up at the beach walking path and downtown later on so the day was salvaged.

Here's a pic.  I live right across the street from the ocean.  

Home Pic.jpg

Gorgeous !

16 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

That is criminal. Not only is he in danger and that child is in danger . 

I agree.  But there are such limited funds and availability for mental health services in this country.  That's a large part of why the homeless population is out of control.  There aren't any services for them.  People think the homeless are all drug addicts and/or criminals who deserve to be ignored and starved when in reality many of them are desperately in need of mental health services.

My cousin is hoping she can get an appointment this week for him.  Otherwise she has to go to work and hope he doesn't try it again.  And HE still has to go to work because he has no medical sign off.  He works overnight in an unsupervised position so that is not the best scenario for someone who is suicidal and suffering from hallucinations.  But again, they can't afford for either of them to miss even one day of work.  

She did ask me if I would be able to watch their child after school since she knows I work from home, but I live in another county and would have to get my network access set up at their apartment if I were to go over there every day.   Plus, I can't do my job and provide care for a young child AND check on her husband to make sure he isn't trying to hurt himself again.  Hopefully one of his family members will be able to help out.

It's true - mental healthcare in this country is abysmal. It's true that most of the homeless population have a combination of mental illness and drug abuse but they really need treatment. Being on the streets just makes it worse for them and everyone around them. Homeless folks also cycle in and out of hospitals and psych wards - it's a band-aid on a gaping wound. They don't get the help they need and it drives up health costs even more. 

But with the lack of social supports, sadly, it's not surprising that so many people are homeless and struggling. There is simply not enough help and support to stop that downward slide into extreme poverty. 

boltnrun,

I hate to say it but I do hope your cousin's husband ends up committed again. If he is agreeable to receiving some form of treatment, she could push on the provider team to make him an outpatient appointment within a few days of anticipated discharge. This would eliminate the need for him to wait several months before seeing a psychiatrist as he would be a recent hospital discharge, so he would need to be seen ASAP by an outpatient doctor, who could get him proper treatment. 

11 minutes ago, Fudgie said:

That's a darn shame - sounds like something bad has to happen before he gets the help he needs. Very upsetting. I am sorry. 

Thank you, I do appreciate your kind words.

I don't know what they're waiting for that could be worse than attempting suicide while home alone with his child and seeing and hearing hallucinations. If that isn't bad enough I fear what they might consider "bad".

I haven't heard from my cousin this week. She usually contacts me when things get really bad and then just kind of turns inward after. She said she knows I'm here for her, so hopefully she'll reach out if she needs to.

47 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

My cousin's husband has been posting mental health awareness memes on his Facebook page. I hope that's a sign he realizes he needs treatment.

Yes, probably on some level he is. But based on your description of his behavior, I wonder if he is really just fishing for attention. He seems to like doing things for shock value. Which, of course, is related the state of his mental health. People with narcissistic types of disorders usually don't see themselves as actually having a problem and generally reject treatment. 

8 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Yes, probably on some level he is. But based on your description of his behavior, I wonder if he is really just fishing for attention. He seems to like doing things for shock value. Which, of course, is related the state of his mental health. People with narcissistic types of disorders usually don't see themselves as actually having a problem and generally reject treatment. 

I'm not sure why you believe he's a narcissist. I never said he's been diagnosed as a narcissist by a medical professional. 

I appreciate you responding but that seems like a lot of assumptions based on the little I've written about his suicide attempt and hallucinations. I'm not sure why you think his suicide attempt and hallucinations are a ploy for attention or that he's a narcissist. He's exhibiting concerning behavior according to his wife, my cousin. I don't believe he's just trying to get attention.