Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

My husband’s eye exam was good today. They got to see the spot on his retina and the optometrist said it was nothing to worry about . I told him to mention that his grandfather and his aunt and his uncle went blind from glaucoma. His sister also has beginning stage glaucoma. They did tests and he is negative. he has one more test in the new year and after that they can pretty much say he is clear from that.

The 12th he has his ultrasound on his thyroid to check the state of the tumours. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Wow is right! I have a friend with a successful career -she is around 50 - 3 kids under 16 and she is considering this too -she's -fried! (and they can live fine on husband's income)

I think my former boss is about 67. She has been at the same place for 33 years. Her husband retired about 6 years ago and he has been asking her to retire. But good for her she deserves it !!

I am getting there too. I do feel tired as well but a few more years to go. 

12 more working days before Christmas Holidays! 

• Like 1

Waiting for my son to get out of the dentist. We had lunch with my girlfriend and her daughter . $60 for fish for 2 people . 🫣

Then it is a 3.5 hour drive home . 
I ran out of windshield washer fluid half way here 🤬I have to stop at the gas station and fill up and add windshield washer fluid . 

The ear ringing is driving me crazy today. 

I think my husband had some come in about my son’s age. He didn’t have issues until his early 40’s and then they removed 2 of them. They wanted to do a panoramic xray when my son was an early teen to check on his wisdom teeth and put on braces but he wasn’t having it . 

Yesterday he went in and handled his own appointment and booked a new one himself without me there . Going to try to teach him more independence around medical issues. 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, (and feel free to tell me it's none of my business), do you have a plan for when your son will be 100% on his own? 

My cousin has Down's Syndrome and his father setup a trust fund so that his housing and care would be taken care of. He lives in a small group home that he absolutely loves. Sadly, both his parents and his one sibling, his sister, have all passed away so he's the only one left. We do have a fairly large network of cousins but his care is done by the group home. I have visited him there and it's an excellent facility.

My kids are independent but I have a good amount of life insurance so they will have that when I go. And my son is also well provided for by his dad when he goes. Hopefully far in the future.

25 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Just out of curiosity, (and feel free to tell me it's none of my business), do you have a plan for when your son will be 100% on his own? 

My cousin has Down's Syndrome and his father setup a trust fund so that his housing and care would be taken care of. He lives in a small group home that he absolutely loves. Sadly, both his parents and his one sibling, his sister, have all passed away so he's the only one left. We do have a fairly large network of cousins but his care is done by the group home. I have visited him there and it's an excellent facility.

My kids are independent but I have a good amount of life insurance so they will have that when I go. And my son is also well provided for by his dad when he goes. Hopefully far in the future.

He has an RDSP. Which we add to and the government adds grants and bonds to until he is 49 years old. By the time he is 60 there will be more than a million dollars in it . We hope to have the new house entirely paid off by the time we go and it will be his. If he wants to sell it by then the house or even the land it will be close to that as well. We will just have to set up someone who checks up on him a couple times a week. He knows how to shop and pay bills etc. We have embarked on teaching him how to cook more meals and next comes cleaning . 

37 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Wow, you have done such an excellent job of setting everything up. That's terrific. 

Thanks ! That is why I was so insistent and persistent about getting him the disability tax credit that we finally succeeded in getting him last year. That allows us the great tool of the RDSP. He also has monthly provincial disability payments since he was 18. A monthly federal disability payment passed into law this year, but we have to wait till the new year to see the criteria and amounts so we can apply for him. 

Went to hubby’s Mess lunch and ate a salad 3 bites of chicken and 2 bites of a half scoop of stuffing. So full I could actual heave. 
The troops have a Christmas movie at the theatre on base . Hubby is done for the year at 11:30 tomorrow. 
After tomorrow 2 of my kiddos are gone until the New Year. Then next Thursday at 5:00 PM I am done ! 

• Thanks 1

Well, this morning was an entire shyte show. All the kids are rangy as it is close to Christmas. They INSIST on holding onto the book case to put on their boots despite being told to sit on the floor to get them on 54,000 times a a day. Well, today it toppled and everything crashed to the floor breaking picture frames. Then they insisted on throwing snowballs and didn’t see a car coming and hit the car. That did it . By then I was mad. They all had to just stand and wait for the bus in a straight line and fume. 

• Sad 1

I am going to a birthday party tonight but don’t really want to go. I am exhausted and I wouldn’t go if I didn’t like the birthday girl. She is a good kid ( a year younger than my son.)in a bad situation and has crappy friends. Her friends and her wife all smoke up and I hate it . It is legal here in Canada and since being legalizing has proliferated everywhere. I have never had Mary Jane and never want to. Then they start acting like jerks. My other friend and I just plan to stay for a bit and leave. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Seraphim said:

I am going to a birthday party tonight but don’t really want to go. I am exhausted and I wouldn’t go if I didn’t like the birthday girl. She is a good kid ( a year younger than my son.)in a bad situation and has crappy friends. Her friends and her wife all smoke up and I hate it . It is legal here in Canada and since being legalizing has proliferated everywhere. I have never had Mary Jane and never want to. Then they start acting like jerks. My other friend and I just plan to stay for a bit and leave. 

It is very very thoughtful of you to go and I'm sorry you're fried!  Your resilience inspires me.

• Like 1

Yay!! Hubby is off work now until Jan 2. Everyone was peeling out of the base leaving it in the dust. Now just 1 operational unit and essential services like fire dept , police will be working . Many families residing here will be gone by the weekend heading to wherever families are .