Am I to blame

Summer11

I know part of my self esteem, stems from childhood where my mum use to say to me i should accept anyone who wants to be with me as I'm not as pretty like my sister. I should never be choosy and never back talk to people .. keep peace and don't say anything let it go like it never happened.

Yeah, what you're mother did explains A LOT. My mother may have never told me this exact same thing, but she demonstrated it to me with her actions; I was also compared to my "amazing" brother. There are so many things that happened in out childhood that affect us in adulthood, it's unbelievable. I have found peace with many due to therapy, I wish you the best! Make sure to find a therapist that suits you. Just because one has a degree, doesn't mean they are the right one for you. I don't know how it works where you live, but if a free getting to know you-appoitment is available, use it with many before you decide.

It's going to be exciting!!

Are you required to be married soon in your culture? Why would you still be operating on these principles that you desperately have to accept anyone and anything?

my mum use to say to me i should accept anyone who wants to be with me as I'm not as pretty like my sister. I should never be choosy and never back talk to people .. keep peace and don't say anything let it go like it never happened.

Yes, please do follow some others' suggestion and get yourself a good therapist.

They can help you understand why you felt it was noble to stand by a man who is such a bottom-feeder. Accepting someone for all their flaws is, well, a flawed concept. It doesn't mean we should just take whatever comes our way and have no standards for ourselves. I'm sorry that your mom raised you to believe the contrary; you don't deserve that.

It's a blessing this man is gone.

I stood by him and accepted all his wrongs..

... a[m] I doing something so wrong... ?

Yep. Standing by someone who mistreats you only sets you up for more mistreatment.

If you don't value yourself enough to walk away from mistreatment, the message you send is that you don't expect anyone else to value you, either.

Skip that. Make whatever investment in yourself that you need to make in order to learn how to appreciate your unique value, including therapy if you need help. Once you do that, you'll be ready to date. Otherwise, you'll bottom-feed for scraps from anyone who will pay attention to you, and that's a prescription for disaster.

Head high, and treat yourself well.

Archived