I might be mistaken, but the way I read it is that they've been FB friends for 4 years but only started this relationship last July.

Thanks for pointing that out. I reread that part and still missed it. However, that comment about not knowing what a serious relationship is is still troubling. And he used it like an excuse for doing something that he knew would upset her. Not good.

I don't think figureitout was referring to you MissCanuck.

Fair enough, but given that it was my response that was quoted, I replied.

In any event, I still think it would be helpful for OP to clarify some details. I don't think it's going to do much to paint the situation in a more positive light at this point, but it would be interesting to get a clearer idea of what the context is.

A nice but terribly naive friend of mine just had her bank account drained by someone she met online, months ago. She too thought this man was serious about her, had him on her social media, video-chatted with him. He also lives far away and had several supposed delays in coming to meet her in person (Yes, we warned her about the risks here) Now this man has disappeared, along with a sizable chunk of her money. As such, when I read stories like the one OP posted (which is not so different from what my friend has just gone through) red flags go way up. I do hope that whatever happens, OP comes out of it relatively unscathed and doesn't experience what my friend did.

• 2 weeks later...
The community is here to help, and you will get a lot of valuable insight. With more details, you will get more relevant and detailed responses.

Thus, could you do us the favour of responding to the question a few of us have asked: have you ever met him in person?

No, we have not yet met in person, and he is a native of England so he speaks English. We talk on the phone every day..twice or more. He has sent me pictures through snail mail of himself as a child with his family, himself as a teen and every decade until now. I know it is him and his family is "real." I have talked on the phone to his sister while he was over her house for Christmas...he videotaped her and her husband and Colin's nephew....who happens to have Autism. What makes this so special is that his nephew is named Robbie...my son has Autism and his name is Robbie as well. Colin and I share so many similar interests and struggles we've had in our respective lives. We video chat all the time and I've met his friends this way as well. We have both exchanged family photos, again through regular mail, and one of my daughters and my son have talked to him. I have never felt this way about any man before...and he feels the same about me. I am friends with some of his friends on Facebook and 2 of his sisters. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. I'm sorry it took awhile but I developed shingles in my eye of all places!! Thank you all.

This is true but I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing with people accusing my relationship of being a scam.

If it was a 10 month scam why would he come clean about choosing Disneyland over her? The lack of logic in that is just...He'd have to be the stupidest scammer on this planet to risk her breaking up with him after working to get his visa. There's no need for backstory or to tell her any of this

Like others have said he sounds like a commitmentphobe who isn't sure what he's doing.

Don't kick the woman when she's already down by telling her everything was a lie without any facts. It's just cruel.

What a very nice thing to say!! When I read your response, you brought tears to my eyes. That's exactly how I was feeling...that no one here believed me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness.

What a very nice thing to say!! When I read your response, you brought tears to my eyes. That's exactly how I was feeling...that no one here believed me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness.

It isn't you that we don't believe, OP.

It's him.

No, we have not yet met in person, and he is a native of England so he speaks English. We talk on the phone every day..twice or more. He has sent me pictures through snail mail of himself as a child with his family, himself as a teen and every decade until now. I know it is him and his family is "real." I have talked on the phone to his sister while he was over her house for Christmas...he videotaped her and her husband and Colin's nephew....who happens to have Autism. What makes this so special is that his nephew is named Robbie...my son has Autism and his name is Robbie as well. Colin and I share so many similar interests and struggles we've had in our respective lives. We video chat all the time and I've met his friends this way as well. We have both exchanged family photos, again through regular mail, and one of my daughters and my son have talked to him. I have never felt this way about any man before...and he feels the same about me. I am friends with some of his friends on Facebook and 2 of his sisters. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. I'm sorry it took awhile but I developed shingles in my eye of all places!! Thank you all.

This is the post I made in reply to those of you wanting to know if we met and more detail about our relationship.

Archived