I think I lost my last 2 friends, I'm genuinely alone now and don't know what to do.

donkeys

I've never had many friends, but throughout highschool and college (and after) I always managed to stay close to 3 friends in particular. Early last year I went through a massively painful breakup, and I ended up losing my ex and a mutual friend of ours because of it (she took my ex's side, as she was her best friend). Later that fall, I began to grow weary with how one of my 3 close friends (we'll call him M) had treated me throughout the years (I more or less just sucked up the abuse for a long time), but as we were roommates, I realized I didn't want a person like him for a friend. So after I moved out I (as politely as possible) told him I didn't want to be friends anymore over a long series of messages. He never responded, so I assume he wanted the same.

Since then I've only had 2 friends in my life, whom I've long considered my best friends. As we've grown older it's become harder to see one another very often...but I at least expect something. The first friend, we'll call him E, doesn't even speak to me unless I speak to him first nowadays. And sometimes when I speak to him first, he'll just reply "work" or "can't talk now, working", or something equally dismissive. It's been about a month since we've spoken now. I've gotten the impression in recent years he was trying to slowly push me out of his life for some reason, but I don't know why. We've never fought and have always been great friends. I've messaged him a few times in the past few weeks but he's completely ignored them, no responses at all.

The other one, we'll call him B. Since E began talking to me less and less, I talked to B a lot...also until recently. Every single time I wanted to hang out (it's always been this way, but much much more recently), he was busy. Which I get, we're adults, people get busy. But when he DID talk to me he'd tell me about the stuff he did with others so...I guess it was just me specifically he didn't really want to see. I grew a little frustrated being constantly turned down and ignored, so I just concentrated on work and getting ready for a move this summer...and he basically just stopped talking to me once I wasn't initiating the conversations. About two weeks ago he sent me a message about how he was heading to a movie with this girl he likes...but that's it. Part of me kind of decided maybe I didn't want him around either if he wasn't too interested in speaking to me like we used to.

I know people grow apart, especially as they grow older, but I don't know what to do now. The isolation is driving me crazy. I truly, genuinely do not have anyone to speak to right now. I've gone out by myself a few times (like to bars) just so I have an excuse to talk to somebody. In the past year I've lost 5 people I've cared about deeply now. I live by myself too, which doesn't really help I guess. Unfortunately the only family I have is my brother and his fiance, but they live far away and we've never been very close, we don't regularly talk.

Maybe this is pathetic for a 26 year old guy to say, but I've been crying about it for days. I hate to be self-pitying and say stuff like this, but I feel like I can only blame myself for this because I am the only consistent variable among all of my relationships. M, E and B were not friends with one another and barely knew eachother. My ex and her best friend were friends obviously, so it makes more sense her best friend would stop being friends with me to support her when we broke up.

I know I can make more friends, but I don't understand why this is happening. I don't understand why everybody I care about is just vanishing from my life until I'm truly and absolutely alone.

Aww, you're so young :( I get it, I lost two friends recently for them kissing my ex who was stinking drunk and they weren't and we were friends for over twenty years since we were just young kids. I even don't have my guy BFF much now because he got engaged. Some people have to be cut out. Others start building their lives and go their own way. It's not like high school or college years where everyone is together a lot.

Try joining activities that interest you, and form new friendships. Outdoor activities if you like them are a great way to meet new people and form new bonds, because you have something in common. Finding friendship in a bar isn't likely to happen, and will leave you feeling more lonely.

Also look within yourself. Are you a downer to be around? Are you not dependable? I'm not saying you are, just look within to see if you can find what might cause people to back away.

Aww, you're so young :( I get it, I lost two friends recently for them kissing my ex who was stinking drunk and they weren't and we were friends for over twenty years since we were just young kids. I even don't have my guy BFF much now because he got engaged. Some people have to be cut out. Others start building their lives and go their own way. It's not like high school or college years where everyone is together a lot.

Try joining activities that interest you, and form new friendships. Outdoor activities if you like them are a great way to meet new people and form new bonds, because you have something in common. Finding friendship in a bar isn't likely to happen, and will leave you feeling more lonely.

Also look within yourself. Are you a downer to be around? Are you not dependable? I'm not saying you are, just look within to see if you can find what might cause people to back away.

I have no doubt that I'm a little bit of a downer to be around, but that's more just because I'm pretty reserved. I don't have very expressive, positive emotions but I wouldn't consider myself depressing. Just quiet. I'm as dependable as I can be I suppose, I've never really been in many situations where I've had to support someone other than myself so it's a little difficult to say.

I know that this is somehow my fault because they're the ones leaving me (apart from M, who obviously agreed with my sentiment anyway). I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, but apparently it's horrible enough to make 2 of my friends who I've known for over a decade stop talking to me.

I have no doubt that I'm a little bit of a downer to be around, but that's more just because I'm pretty reserved. I don't have very expressive, positive emotions but I wouldn't consider myself depressing. Just quiet. I'm as dependable as I can be I suppose, I've never really been in many situations where I've had to support someone other than myself so it's a little difficult to say.

I know that this is somehow my fault because they're the ones leaving me (apart from M, who obviously agreed with my sentiment anyway). I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, but apparently it's horrible enough to make 2 of my friends who I've known for over a decade stop talking to me.

Are you on the autism spectrum, have Aspbergers? Social anxiety? Anything that's been brought to your attention during your school years? Maybe you're just shy/introverted, where as you pick friends that are more outgoing and active? They say you need three friends-the funny one, the reliable one, and the one you trust with your life. All the others are acquaintances. If you get all that in one friend, sometimes that's all anyone needs too.

You held the friendships for a long time, so it could just be everyone is going on their own path. Did you cut your friends off for the relationship you were in? Sometimes people don't pay much attention to friends while involved with someone, and then when they break up, they reach out to those friends, only to discover they really don't want to be bothered because they felt ignored prior. I'm speaking as a girl, mind you, lol I know guys think differently . I'm sorry. I'm just trying to help you get to the root cause here.

Why aren't you making an effort to meet new people? I'm in my 50s and continue to make new friends. Go to Meetups, volunteer, take classes, join clubs, do anything.

A bit insensitive to say as not everybody has the same talent for making friendships as you, but I get the sentiment. I have been trying as much as I'm able to, I currently work 60 hours a week and am preparing for a move in around 3 months, so I don't really have much of an opportunity for social events beyond the occasional work party, hangout with a friend (every second of free time I had I attempted to set something up with a friend, constant ignoring and rebuffs on their end), or going to a local bar or restaurant to just chat with people.

When you've had the same established circle of friends for around 15 years (and you've never had much reason or desire to attempt to make many more new friends), and suddenly they're all gone? It's DEBILITATING on your psyche. It has less to do with "how do I make new friends" and "how can I possibly deal with the fact that everybody I care about is now gone"? It's sometimes difficult to even consider making new friends or relationships when you're afraid they'll just leave you too.

And I get it, not trying just exacerbates the problem, but have some sympathy here. My desire to make new friends and relationships is heavily outweighed by my desire to just see and have my old friends and relationships back. Everybody I've ever cared about it suddenly vanishing from my life and it's destroying me inside, it kills any desire I have to want to make new relationships at the moment.

Are you on the autism spectrum, have Aspbergers? Social anxiety? Anything that's been brought to your attention during your school years? Maybe you're just shy/introverted, where as you pick friends that are more outgoing and active? They say you need three friends-the funny one, the reliable one, and the one you trust with your life. All the others are acquaintances. If you get all that in one friend, sometimes that's all anyone needs too.

You held the friendships for a long time, so it could just be everyone is going on their own path. Did you cut your friends off for the relationship you were in? Sometimes people don't pay much attention to friends while involved with someone, and then when they break up, they reach out to those friends, only to discover they really don't want to be bothered because they felt ignored prior. I'm speaking as a girl, mind you, lol I know guys think differently . I'm sorry. I'm just trying to help you get to the root cause here.

No, I'm not on the spectrum and I do not have aspbergers. I do have a degree of social anxiety, yes. Large groups of people generally freak me out when I don't know anybody, and yeah, I'm pretty shy. Unless I know that person well I'm usually not the one to start the conversation (until recently where I've just been desperate for some human communication).

Surprisingly no, I didn't really neglect my friends while my ex and I were together. She and I were very, very close and were together for quite awhile, so we had been integrated into one another's lives enough that we would often invite our friends out with us when we went to some event or something. We also had our one on one time (both me and my ex, and my friends). Back then I worked way, way less. So I had far more free time to dedicate to seeing those I cared about. It never really occurred to me until recently that if I suddenly stopped messaging them...they'd stop messaging me.

That hit me so hard that I just grew furious and depressed. The thought that the only reason my closest friends still spoke to me was that I was the one speaking to them has just hurt my heart so badly. I'm still somewhat in shock that they just wouldn't talk to me unless I was the one initiating.

For me, friends are never about the number of them. I've always preferred having small circles of people I'm very close with which is why I've kept these same friends for 15 years now. But now they're all gone, and the ones I still sort of have have apparently decided they're not very interested in talking to me or seeing me these days. The neglect hurts very badly.

Ahh, I get it now, it's the void you feel, not about having new people.

Let me tell ya I'm surviving a tremendous amount of loss over the past year(well almost two) I left my ex, I met a new guy who's now an ex bc he dumped me , I lost my entire family outside of my sister because the first ex slandered, stalked, harassed, and lied like no lies I could ever imagine to my family, who ended up aiding him with the stalking (my own brother gave my ex a tracker to put on my car) and harassing(I mean if that isn't some s*** I don't know what is) my grandma died, a close friend died, then I cut the two other friends out for their behavior with my ex. All completely justified. I survive without the use of drugs, alcohol, meds, therapy , not sure how other than the fact that my dad(who died a day after my 25th bday) instilled great strength and perseverance I me. My grandma(who was more a mom to me bc my own mother is the spawn of Satan) just before she died last May told me"you don't ever let anyone walk on you ever again, you stand up and you love those who love you, and the rest you let go. I want you happy always." Well easier said than done sometimes, but it truly contributes to my "f**** it attitude I can adapt to, which is " never chase after people who want to leave you. Let them go." You know why? Because you will be left feeling empty. And that's exactly what you're feeling right now.

So you can mourn the loss of these close friendships, you can try to get to the root cause of the loss with the most recent one, and try to repair it, or you can accept that they are not going to put forth the effort, and make new friendships with people because you are still very young and it will be easy to do.

Everyone hopes to keep lifelong friendships, but in reality, it isn't always possible. But a new friend can turn into a lifelong friend. Everyone mourns the loss of relationships. Some push through, others need help. Are you getting therapy?

I'm really now getting the impression this is really not anything more than just they have decided to go their own ways, which often happens. People don't need constant contact with friends, but one should not ever do all the initiating.

Why not make another attempt with the second friend? Go see him, ask him to hang out, get a drink.

I know you guys don't talk to one another like us females do, so I think a guy needs to advise you with that, cuz I really don't know how to talk "guy" lol but I'm sure you can let him know how you feel without sounding sappy.

A bit insensitive to say as not everybody has the same talent for making friendships as you, but I get the sentiment. I have been trying as much as I'm able to, I currently work 60 hours a week and am preparing for a move in around 3 months, so I don't really have much of an opportunity for social events beyond the occasional work party, hangout with a friend (every second of free time I had I attempted to set something up with a friend, constant ignoring and rebuffs on their end), or going to a local bar or restaurant to just chat with people.

When you've had the same established circle of friends for around 15 years (and you've never had much reason or desire to attempt to make many more new friends), and suddenly they're all gone? It's DEBILITATING on your psyche. It has less to do with "how do I make new friends" and "how can I possibly deal with the fact that everybody I care about is now gone"? It's sometimes difficult to even consider making new friends or relationships when you're afraid they'll just leave you too.

And I get it, not trying just exacerbates the problem, but have some sympathy here. My desire to make new friends and relationships is heavily outweighed by my desire to just see and have my old friends and relationships back. Everybody I've ever cared about it suddenly vanishing from my life and it's destroying me inside, it kills any desire I have to want to make new relationships at the moment.

Not at all. But, you have to get out and make an effort. You could do one activity a week to meet people. I met a ton of people through volunteering.

Only having two people in your life is not good. What are you interested in? Join a club or Meet up.

Life is full of many changes, and people grow apart from one another. I know it can be very difficult to realize that these people were not who you thought they were. Time to get out and expand your social circle. You will find better friends.

The last two did not seem to be making much of an effort. It sounds very one-sided which is very hurtful. Time invested means little if there was no substance to the friendship. I have also been in your place. Make some changes.

Not at all. But, you have to get out and make an effort. You could do one activity a week to meet people. I met a ton of people through volunteering.

Only having two people in your life is not good. What are you interested in? Join a club or Meet up.

Life is full of many changes, and people grow apart from one another. Time to get out and expand your social circle. See this as a positive.

The last two did not seem to be making much of an effort. It sounds very one-sided which is very hurtful. Time invested means little if there was no substance to the friendship. I have also been in your place. Make some changes.

All this ^^^^^^^^^^

I've been there too, just as Holly. Just as you are now. You don't have to stay hurt. Yes it's lonely and it feels bad, but you have the power to change it, because while none of us can control how others treat us, we can control how we choose to treat ourselves, and how we allow ourselves to be treated. You will connect again.

I agree with continuing to meet new people and will add, why not ask your old friends what happened, or why they are no longer interested in maintaining a friendship with you? The way I see it, you've pretty much already lost them as friends, so what do you have to lose by asking? Maybe you'll gain some insight into what you can do to prevent this from happening in the future.

OP, after an epiphany relationship years ago, I recognized that I had very little social life, and questionable friendships. Through much effort I got involved in everything that seemed appealing: volunteering, Meetups, yoga, hiking, dancing etc. After improving my self esteem, I ended most of my old friendships. This has been such a positive. as I have made many new friends and enhanced my life.

Get out there.

I agree with continuing to meet new people and will add, why not ask your old friends what happened, or why they are no longer interested in maintaining a friendship with you? The way I see it, you've pretty much already lost them as friends, so what do you have to lose by asking? Maybe you'll gain some insight into what you can do to prevent this from happening in the future.

Good idea.

Is it possible maybe these relationships just ran their course? Outgrew each other? Can you ask these last two friends what happened on their end (are you close like that?)?

No matter what, at this point, it sounds like you need to grieve these losses like you would a death. It is very traumatic as you said....I’ve been there and know how devastating it feels. I’m sorry you’re going through this.

Maybe after grief you could reframe that you’re moving to a new place and that means s new chapter of life. During the 3 months give yourself time to grieve and take really good care of you.

Ahh, I get it now, it's the void you feel, not about having new people.

Let me tell ya I'm surviving a tremendous amount of loss over the past year(well almost two) I left my ex, I met a new guy who's now an ex bc he dumped me , I lost my entire family outside of my sister because the first ex slandered, stalked, harassed, and lied like no lies I could ever imagine to my family, who ended up aiding him with the stalking (my own brother gave my ex a tracker to put on my car) and harassing(I mean if that isn't some s*** I don't know what is) my grandma died, a close friend died, then I cut the two other friends out for their behavior with my ex. All completely justified. I survive without the use of drugs, alcohol, meds, therapy , not sure how other than the fact that my dad(who died a day after my 25th bday) instilled great strength and perseverance I me. My grandma(who was more a mom to me bc my own mother is the spawn of Satan) just before she died last May told me"you don't ever let anyone walk on you ever again, you stand up and you love those who love you, and the rest you let go. I want you happy always." Well easier said than done sometimes, but it truly contributes to my "f**** it attitude I can adapt to, which is " never chase after people who want to leave you. Let them go." You know why? Because you will be left feeling empty. And that's exactly what you're feeling right now.

So you can mourn the loss of these close friendships, you can try to get to the root cause of the loss with the most recent one, and try to repair it, or you can accept that they are not going to put forth the effort, and make new friendships with people because you are still very young and it will be easy to do.

Everyone hopes to keep lifelong friendships, but in reality, it isn't always possible. But a new friend can turn into a lifelong friend. Everyone mourns the loss of relationships. Some push through, others need help. Are you getting therapy?

Blimey that is some crazy flying monkey s**t right there. What awful people! Glad you are staying strong.

OP - I really feel for you but when Hollyj made a suggestion you descended in to the self-pity that you stated you are trying to avoid. She wasn't being insensitive, just asking a question. There are many clubs and things you can join, even with a busy schedule. If you have free time to go to bars then why not use that time to to attend a more constructive activity that can help you make more friends which will, in turn help you build your confidence. If you get that defensive so quickly then maybe you have found your answer. People grow and then they change. Maybe your friendships have just dissolved naturally as you are all at the age where your lives are branching out in new directions? You have also changed and grown so your future friendships will have different dynamics to those you formed in school. Don't let it ruin your confidence moving forward and forging future relationships. Maybe your move will bring about some positive changes in your life. You work a lot, are there any colleagues that you are friendly with?

College and high school friends grow apart. It happens. The friends that i am currently friends with that i knew in high school i lost touch with over the years and reconnected with later - but they are not my *close* friends - they are good friends because of our history, but I don't *depend* on them or *expect* them to be my only friends. If you want to make friends, you need to be a friend. Don't focus just on what people can offer YOU. maybe being that you think you only have 2 friends, you rely too heavily on them.

I am betting you had more friends and they fell by the wayside when you were in the relationship. Maybe you can reconnect, but maybe moving forward is the best option.

Is it possible maybe these relationships just ran their course? Outgrew each other? Can you ask these last two friends what happened on their end (are you close like that?)?

No matter what, at this point, it sounds like you need to grieve these losses like you would a death. It is very traumatic as you said....I’ve been there and know how devastating it feels. I’m sorry you’re going through this.

Maybe after grief you could reframe that you’re moving to a new place and that means s new chapter of life. During the 3 months give yourself time to grieve and take really good care of you.

I'm starting to believe that yes, perhaps my friends have just decided slowly but surely that we're growing apart. They don't consider me as close as I consider them. I know that that isn't their fault necessarily, but this is beyond heartbreaking for me. I considered these men my brothers, the type of people I would die for. As time has passed in the past year or two, I definitely have seen them drifting away.

It hurts me to think that after 15 years of friendship they would just throw it all away, they'd slowly stop caring. I know people are different and approach friendships differently, but I've never pushed someone away that wasn't already doing it to me, not that I know of. Any friend I've lost was either because I saw they were making little to no effort in wanting to be friends with me, or in the case of M, because he was a horribly toxic person in my life that I desperately needed to cut loose.

College and high school friends grow apart. It happens. The friends that i am currently friends with that i knew in high school i lost touch with over the years and reconnected with later - but they are not my *close* friends - they are good friends because of our history, but I don't *depend* on them or *expect* them to be my only friends. If you want to make friends, you need to be a friend. Don't focus just on what people can offer YOU. maybe being that you think you only have 2 friends, you rely too heavily on them.

I am betting you had more friends and they fell by the wayside when you were in the relationship. Maybe you can reconnect, but maybe moving forward is the best option.

I'm really not trying to be a downer or self-pitying when I say this...but these 2 guys truly were my only friends. They were the only ones I hung out with or talked to on a regular basis apart from my coworkers. I've never really attempted to make new friends before because I loved the friends I had, I was never worried about having more or wanting more.

And because I'm a shy person, more friends didn't naturally come to me at school, work parties, or anything. Acquaintances perhaps, but not friends. Not the kind whom I'd do anything for. These 2 guys were my brothers, and as time has gone on it feels like I'm the only one who believes that any more.

I'm less afraid of being alone and more afraid of what I'm going to do if I truly lose everyone I care about.

Also a bit of an update, though nothing really happened. I decided to take someone in the threads advice and ask these guys what was going on, why it seemed like they were making so little effort to talk to me or hang out anymore. E did not respond, though it's only been a day. This is kind of normal for him to not respond for awhile. B did respond and said he wasn't sure what I meant, and that he still feels like we're just fine. He says that...but he never talks to me unless I talk to him. Never wants to hang out unless I suggest it first, and even if I ask, there's a good chance he says no. This feels pretty hopeless, and I'm guessing my only option is to just cut these last 2 out of my life and move on. I don't know what I'll do being alone, and until I make some friends I guarantee this is going to be the most agonizingly horrible period of my entire life. But I hope I can think of another solution soon.

Friends will leave.

You need to try to make new friends instead of sulking about the ones who aren't close anymore. (For me, that's like 99% of my friends I've made thus far). Make new friends through social groups - whether it's DnD or ballroom or gaming or sports, you can make friends if you earnestly try.

Sorry you are going through this. We are here for you.

Friends will leave.

You need to try to make new friends instead of sulking about the ones who aren't close anymore. (For me, that's like 99% of my friends I've made thus far). Make new friends through social groups - whether it's DnD or ballroom or gaming or sports, you can make friends if you earnestly try.

Sorry you are going through this. We are here for you.

I know that I can't sulk forever, and eventually I won't. But for the time being it feels so utterly hopeless and dismal considering how many relationships I've lost in the past year or so. And I mean absolutely no offense to anyone here when I say this because your advice and well wishes are greatly appreciated, but having nobody in my life now whom I can look to and rely on outside of the internet is just so debilitating.

I live alone, I now apparently have no friends, and unfortunately I do not have parents. They disowned my brother and I long ago. My brother is my only family and we're not close, and he lives in another state.

If I'm ever in financial trouble, or personal or mental trouble (like I am now) I have nobody to turn to apart from help sites like these. And it's so scary, it's so frightening to think that I'm in a situation like that.

I know that I can't sulk forever, and eventually I won't. But for the time being it feels so utterly hopeless and dismal considering how many relationships I've lost in the past year or so. And I mean absolutely no offense to anyone here when I say this because your advice and well wishes are greatly appreciated, but having nobody in my life now whom I can look to and rely on outside of the internet is just so debilitating.

maybe its time to be self-reliant - if you are -- people like to be friends with people who can self soothe and comfort themselves.

I live alone, I now apparently have no friends, and unfortunately I do not have parents. They disowned my brother and I long ago. My brother is my only family and we're not close, and he lives in another state.

If I'm ever in financial trouble, or personal or mental trouble (like I am now) I have nobody to turn to apart from help sites like these. And it's so scary, it's so frightening to think that I'm in a situation like that.

Well, let's dial into that. Why did your parents not talk to you anymore --- unless they are drug users and they don't talk to you because you confronted them about it - what about your behavior caused them to act that way? Have they set a boundary with you about how they wish to be treated by you and you are too prideful/or like your narrative of being alone too much to call them?

Also, you should not be relying on friends or family if you are in a financial bind - you have to figure out how to be more self-reliant in that way.

Sorry to hear about your parents. I bet that them disowning you hurt like hell. It's cruel for parents to do that to their children.

Anyways. Maybe it's just time you let yourself be sad. This freaking sucks. Accept it. And then tomorrow, in a week, after a long cry, etc. you can work on earnestly trying to improve yourself, your self-confidence, and finding friends. First though, might be time for that sadness and self-improvement (in ways you want to improve).

Hello! Congratulations this is the phase in your life where you are growing and realizing your worth! I went through a very similar situation where I felt I was losing friends, but honestly I was not losing friends I was gaining space for better experiences and friends. We grow apart from people that no longer serve our growth and vice versa. Don't worry. Everything will be ok. Focus on doing the things you love and you WILL meet new people that are more supportive and better for you. I know it's hard to believe this now...

Archived