Why do guys say let's see what happens or let's be in touch?

Sabrina918

Frustrated. 28 dating a 40 year old man for over 8 months. We got into an argument that set the break up into motion, his future business partner, a female, sleeping in his bed. From that it became about our future, respect he has for me, the fact that I don't do well under stress (worst trait he said there was in me) and he suddenly at dinner one night told me he cannot make happy, wants to focus on his career (he was with another girl weeks later) and just plain ignored me for a week and pretended to be busy. For a month he strung me along, treated me horribly, took days to respond (same guy who was communicative all throughout the relationship).

After a month he said he wants to see me. I haven't had too many relationships so at that moment I didn't realize it's the big break up one but it was... and the biggest bs of all "I love you and think we should stay in touch and see where the future takes us" Someone please explain to me what that is. Such a cowardly way out. This coming from the same man who 3 weeks before the break up insisted on meeting my whole family and professing I'm his greatest love of greatest heartbreak. I think I deserved more after all that but don't expect it and have blocked him off my social media and texts.

You have gotten A LOT of good advice on this guy. How is he able to contact you if he is blocked?

So I've blocked him on social media down to freakin LinkedIn and today came to find a card sent to me at my PO box. I don't even know how it got there so quick bc I checked Saturday night when I went to pick up packages.

I think he's just trying to bother me and keep me from moving on.

You have gotten A LOT of good advice on this guy. How is he able to contact you if he is blocked?

He's a phony, simple as that. He didn't mean anything he said and his love was fickle. He can go from one woman to the next in the blink of an eye.

You dodged a bullet.

Thank you. I am starting to see it through therapy.

Good for you!

Have you told him to leave you alone?

I sent him a text saying I'm done with him, don't want my items back, and that for the first time in 4 months I'm finally ok with letting go for good and he should do the same because he's dating a colleague of mine in the same dental field who works within 3 miles of me. I think he himself noticed the removal of the social media stuff. I'll never knowif he replied to my text because I blocked him and just today changed my number and have already blocked him from the new one also. The only place left is email and of course my po box.

I don't think he cares to respond for response I think he does this to scare me and intimidate me.

I think people say "let's stay in touch" or "let's see" for a few reasons. Breaking up with someone is never enjoyable and if the breakup isn't over a big, dramatic issue, they may try to "soften the blow" by saying something wishy-washy rather than, " I never want to see you again, starting right now." That's easy to say when someone's cheated on you, but harder to do when the other person hasn't done anything "wrong." It also gives them the option to return in case they find they catch feelings again in the future.

Edited to add: Sure, they could catch feelings in the future again ("let's see what happens"), but I wouldn't count on it or wait by the phone. Anything could happen in the future. Aliens could land on Earth tomorrow.

Archived