Is it wise to change Career after the age of 24?

I'm surprised this is even a question - it's probably the wisest thing you could do, recognise as early as possible that you want a career change.

I worked in finance up until age 24 and then did a complete 180 and went back to university. Been a bit tough financially but morally and spiritually rewarding.

Please do pick your ideal career and stretch yourself

As far as the logistics go, you're not asking us anything we ourselves wouldn't have to turn around and Google in order to provide you an answer. Whether a field or industry is "good" depends entirely on your own interests, goals, skills, connections, and perhaps a bit less subjectively, location.

But if you're afraid you won't be happy, or even at the very least satisfied with a career, then your early 20s are as good a time as any to consider and pursue a change.

Sure. I've known lots of people, smart people, who have changed between multiple, completely unrelated, highly technical fields in their 40's and 50's. And they could do it, because they were smart. It has less to do with your age, and more to do with your ability to adapt. It should be noted, however, that changing careers usually does result in a temporary pay cut as you're getting your footing.

Read more about this:

"There are plenty of opportunities for advancement in the diverse and dynamic hospitality industry, especially for those with a degree in hospitality management. If you’re upbeat and energetic, have leadership abilities, and enjoy helping others, the global hospitality industry is worth seriously considering."

Read more about this:

"There are plenty of opportunities for advancement in the diverse and dynamic hospitality industry, especially for those with a degree in hospitality management. If you’re upbeat and energetic, have leadership abilities, and enjoy helping others, the global hospitality industry is worth seriously considering."

I wouldn't take this information seriously. This is a website sponsored by schools. Of course they're going to say how it's a great idea to get any degree. That's how they make money.

Getting into administration in a hotel/resort will probably be like climbing the ladder at most other corporate jobs. You start off at the bottom. Do well enough and make the right connections. Keep your eyes open with your company's competitor for opportunities and hope something opens at your place. I don't see how this certification is really going to help you much though. It's not like an employer is going to see your certificate and decide to give you a management job, unless you have a connection.

^ That's a good point. A certificate may be a little bit of a foot in the door for some employers, but it doesn't guarantee a better job/career any time soon.

Two things to consider.

One, whatever you do make sure you are really passionate about it - best not to invest time and money into something unless it has an immediate benefit (i.e. fits your interests)

Two, some employers will give you an entry-level job in their field and pay for (or otherwise support) your education/training in order to upskill you. Even if they don't, getting some experience first is a worthwhile thing to do

The others are right, if you don't like your job, change to one you like better. I actually did study hotel management, but did not like it (especially at the beginning you'll probably get comparatively low pay, horrible schedules (weekends, nights, holidays) and your social life might really suffer), so I switched and I am really happy with where I am now

^ That's a good point. A certificate may be a little bit of a foot in the door for some employers, but it doesn't guarantee a better job/career any time soon.

Two things to consider.

One, whatever you do make sure you are really passionate about it - best not to invest time and money into something unless it has an immediate benefit (i.e. fits your interests)

Two, some employers will give you an entry-level job in their field and pay for (or otherwise support) your education/training in order to upskill you. Even if they don't, getting some experience first is a worthwhile thing to do

That brings up a great point. Get an entry-level job in this field and see if you like it. Watch what management does day to day and decide if that's something you think you'd like to do. Don't just jump in blind.

And be realistic about your ability to play office politics. Getting a management role is often more about who you know more than what you do.

I am in event industry but I now really hate it. I want to pursive hotel management.

Is certification course in hotel management good? Will I be able to make decent career with this?

J.man pretty much echoes my views. You will have to find a more hotel oriented forum, but I'd look at entry roles or perhaps event management for a hotel then move internally before certification. Also if you do find such a role you could get better advice from colleagues. Other than that I can't help.

What I will say though is if you are sick of something then staying in that business can lead to not just being fired but unemployable. At 24 nobody expects you to have achieved anything so disinterest is hidden but the longer you go on the more you stick out like a sore thumb compared to more commited individuals.

As a rule of thumb the longer you defer a career change the harder it gets and the more careers you bounce around the more you look like a flight risk. It's not impossible but a little thought and common sense helps. Consider which aspects of your role and career change by industry, which are things you gotta suck up. Also beware that career changing for being 'fed up' is automatically viewed as 'being a perfectionist', even though this is rarely the case. I suggest not wasting time with such people.

A delay of a few extra weeks weighing up new careers is nothing compared to years of stress from rushing into a career and finding you hate it.

Archived