Am I targeted for termination?

Things have suddenly gotten ten tons of weird in my office. Quick background - I was transferred to my current location 1.5 years ago. The managers that fought for the transfer have now left the company.

I had been told I'd have a specific career path once I accomplished a certain mission. That project is complete, although it can always use some more polishing. Once the second manager who hired me put in notice, I scheduled a meeting with the VP - and I thought it went great! I thought she was interested in using my skills as needed.

I've been told by many sources that our department will be losing people, and the remaining jobs will be changing. An opening came up, so I talked with that manager about it. The next step was to talk with the VP. I did, and it did not go well. At first I thought it was just really bad timing, but as the week progressed, it was obvious she was not happy with me.

She called me in for another meeting, possibly a verbal warning, she didn't specify. She was definitely angry with me. Turns out what I said and what she heard were 2 very different things. I spoke about possibilities, and she heard it like it was a fact. She also said it was her dept, and she wasn't going to honor a deal from the former managers. She said she knew my behavior wasn't intentional, but it "caused chaos" and it had to stop.

Again, what I did was to ask a manager about an opening, and then to her about it. No gossip, no drama. The position is still in her dept. We both agreed it became like the game of telephone - what we were saying wasn't what the other was hearing.

There is also some talk that she's asking what I do all day. She asked my current manager, and he said he didn't know. Oh, thanks so much. I'm not sure if that was a dig to make it worse for me, or if it was a passive-aggressive move towards the former manager. Either way, it looks really bad for me.

We're supposed to have another meeting this week to discuss my work load. This actually might work for me, as 2 other projects I've been working on are scheduled to be finished at the end of Feb, and I'd need more assignments. At minimum, it gives me an opportunity to mention the other things I do.

The work that I've completed is now going through a policy change, so this takes a lot more effort. I've been training someone to take over my role for the last 10 months, in preparation for other projects...as was the deal/directive with the former manager. In our "ask about the position" meeting, the VP was asking me if this other person could do it as well as I do, and that this role is very important.

I've either got a huge target on my back, or she's giving me a major smackdown to stay in my place. My first guess is that I'll be fired. But there's a lot of anger about the possibility of me not performing this specific task. They've had 6 people before me who couldn't do it, and lost a lot of money because of it. We can all be replaced so I wouldn't think this will save me. I want to be sure I'm reading this right.

Thoughts?

Not looking good.`

Do you have any relationship with your current manager? If not, I'd start making friends. It'd be much easier for him to justify your position within the scope of his department to her than it would be for you to justify your position for the entire company. But if you and your manager have more or less been ghosts to one another, I'm not sure what he could do to back you up. I'm likewise curious as to why there's no tangible evidence of your work or why your manager is more or less clueless about your duties and progress.

You've been zeroed in on by someone pretty high up. When links in the chain of command are being jumped, whether up or down, it's rarely ever good. I really don't think it's much of an "if" at this point, but a "when." All your managerial support has left and now you are your own highest level of representation. I'd consider updating the resume and searching for options. '

Target

The VP isnt seeing evidence of your work. Why is that?

I think she hears pieces of what people do, but up until now, she hasn't had to put the pieces together. The manager who recently resigned knew who did what.

That same manager took charge of me while he was with us. He both assigned and reviewed my work. He skipped over my actual manager to do that. I tried to keep my manager in the loop, but he basically said he wasn't interested. It's been this way for 1.5 years, and the current VP was here during all of that, but didn't keep tabs to that level.

My current assignments involve our upcoming audit in March, and a business entity that our VP doesn't get involved with very much.

Overall, it's not surprising that she doesn't know what I do.

Targeted? No. Are you likely to be laid off unless you figure out how to connect with your managers on a personal level and make sure they know you are worthwhile to them? Yes.

I'm hoping our work load meeting this week will help her see what I've been doing. We had a meeting recently where she asked about my skills and background. I can't say that she remembers any of it.

One thing is certain. She's pretty offended that our recently departed manager discussed my advancement with me. She seems to have no intentions in that direction. I think my efforts to move into another position made her even more angry. I had made one comment to her that I was afraid of being pigeon-holed in my current work. (I shouldn't have said anything...but I didn't know she'd be dead set against me doing anything else.)

It's in her best interest to keep me in this role, and it's in my best interest to at least add other tasks.

I remain friendly and as professional as possible. I also double check every single thing I do. It won't save me if I'm in line to be let go, but it might delay it a bit.

you're corporate i think? just to clarify that i have never worked corporate.

but every.single.place.i.worked. i kept detailed logs and reports (sometimes extensive daily reports done from home-- they were both for my personal use and for anyone who might want details of my work) of everything i do daily. it has done me a ton of good.

in fairness, i work with people, so the reports for my personal use made sense as i need to understand their condition as well as possible. but even just a quick log with bullets of your assignments is a good idea. also include other people's work you may have done if they were unable to. frequently update with results. eg. next to assignment 13 write date when your work got you X amount of extra funding from Y approved etc. in competitive environments, you want to be able to sing your accomplishments at any given moment.

i agree it's not looking good. have a darn good explanation of your daily assignments and results handy. i remember you posting before, you seemed very efficient and enthusiastic about your work, i have no doubt you have much to present to her.

do you know her leadership style? does she just handle miscommunication sternly?

Not looking good.`

Do you have any relationship with your current manager? If not, I'd start making friends. It'd be much easier for him to justify your position within the scope of his department to her than it would be for you to justify your position for the entire company. But if you and your manager have more or less been ghosts to one another, I'm not sure what he could do to back you up. I'm likewise curious as to why there's no tangible evidence of your work or why your manager is more or less clueless about your duties and progress.

You've been zeroed in on by someone pretty high up. When links in the chain of command are being jumped, whether up or down, it's rarely ever good. I really don't think it's much of an "if" at this point, but a "when." All your managerial support has left and now you are your own highest level of representation. I'd consider updating the resume and searching for options. '

My current manager is a trip. He seems to believe whole-heartedly in my skills. He also believes our company will never use those skills. My team has been in their current roles for years. He is not well liked by management, and knows he's got a target on his back. He confided that he is actively looking. He's not sure if the VP wants me out, or wants me to stay still and quiet. He asked why take the chance. Why indeed.

The VP sees the effects of my major project/assignment. She and the CFO have been very pleased with my work. The "what do I do all day" question came up when I had to update her on training my coworker. It doesn't list out what I do - only the work to be transitioned. So it's not an accurate portrayal of the assignment in total. She has no way of knowing that unless my manager speaks up...

...and frankly, everyone in management has been completely hands off. They have no idea what goes on or what it takes, nor do they want to. It works great now, and that's what they want. They know that my trainee can't handle it as well as I do. The VP has thrown that at me twice now, implying I'm a terrible employee to want to give this role to someone else. I did outline the formerly manager's plan for me to review the trainee's work so that she gets strong, and we don't lose any quality in the process. I assured her I'd put my heart into it, and wasn't willing to see it fall apart. I felt with careful planning, we could have both. She listened, but made no comment.

I'll get my resume together, and try to find a good local recruiter. I've never been laid off or fired, and never had anything in my personnel file. I don't want to start now.

you're corporate i think? just to clarify that i have never worked corporate.

but every.single.place.i.worked. i kept detailed logs and reports (sometimes extensive daily reports done from home-- they were both for my personal use and for anyone who might want details of my work) of everything i do daily. it has done me a ton of good.

in fairness, i work with people, so the reports for my personal use made sense as i need to understand their condition as well as possible. but even just a quick log with bullets of your assignments is a good idea. also include other people's work you may have done if they were unable to. frequently update with results. eg. next to assignment 13 write date when your work got you X amount of extra funding from Y approved etc. in competitive environments, you want to be able to sing your accomplishments at any given moment.

i agree it's not looking good. have a darn good explanation of your daily assignments and results handy. i remember you posting before, you seemed very efficient and enthusiastic about your work, i have no doubt you have much to present to her.

do you know her leadership style? does she just handle miscommunication sternly?

I really haven't worked with the VP in the past year, so I don't know her at all. Any interaction prior to this has been her asking high level questions with me providing answers and analysis. I recently asked for her feedback on me. She said that I take anything I'm asked to do and run with it. She never worries that it won't get done, or might be done badly. She says I'm very curious, which is a good trait. It leads to more thorough work. So, up until the last week, she seemed to think I was ok.

It will be easy enough to show I get a lot of work done. Thank you for making that point. I'll prepare a list.

One of the problems may be that the work sounds easy, but mgmt has no clue how much time anything takes or what's involved. For instance, I do the financials for a new business and that takes very little time. What eats my day is integrating them into our systems and processes, esp when they fight me at every step. (I understand - they went from small local company to corporate overnight.)

She's under horrific pressure right now, and she's working 7 days a week. This isn't helping her mood. It doesn't help me, either. I get the feeling once she doesn't like you, you're done.

My first guess is that I'll be fired. But there's a lot of anger about the possibility of me not performing this specific task. They've had 6 people before me who couldn't do it, and lost a lot of money because of it. We can all be replaced so I wouldn't think this will save me. I want to be sure I'm reading this right.

Thoughts?

I'm hoping our work load meeting this week will help her see what I've been doing. We had a meeting recently where she asked about my skills and background. I can't say that she remembers any of it.

Oh boy. This brings back bad memories!! I was targeted once at a job, and had to present my workload week after week to my supervisor (Tina) and my manager (Mary).* Despite what I showed them, they both kept insisting that I was slower, and did less work, than my coworkers. They simply REFUSED to see it. I went to Human Resources about it and everything, but for weeks it was their word against mine. It was sooooooo frickin frustrating because they were such LIARS.

What I finally ended up doing was downloading information from our numerous databases and compiling it into a report that showed each person's exact workload and turn-around time (fortunately I have these dope Excel skills, you see). This report showed that not only did I have a heavier workload, but I was faster than my coworkers, and sometimes even did their work in addition to my own!! Tina was thick and tried to deny the report's validity, but Mary knew she was caught and backed off completely. Then she threw Tina under the buss for the whole thing!

So, my advice to you is talk to human resources, and develop some CONCRETE metrics for the work that you do. Make them consider the implications of wrongful termination.

*names changed to protect the jerks

I ran into the VP today, and took advantage of the opportunity. I wanted to see how she responded to me, and if she was able to look me in the eye (I think this is very telling). I said a cheerful good morning, and then, offhandedly, told a long-running joke we've had. She was startled and burst out laughing. After we stopped laughing, she was looking me full on in the face. I thanked her for the meeting the other day, and her directness. She was still grinning, and responded well. I said that I would not repeat it, and that I hoped we could move on. She said, "Absolutely!" We then talked about a work item.

She was super busy today, but her interactions with me were substantially softer.

I don't know if this changes anything for me in the long run, but it sure makes for a nicer environment.

Archived