Can't stop thinking about my ex

We have been broken up for over six months. We tried to be together again (mostly his idea) during the summer. We lived together for 2 years and together for 4 and a half years. I tried to be with him again for a few weeks this summer, but I wanted to date other guys. He was my first boyfriend since I was 16 years old so I was curious to date other men. He finally stopped trying to get my back when he saw me in public with my new boyfriend. He then got a new girlfriend. We talked a bit about it a couple of months ago. We don't communicate regularly anymore. I keep having dreams about him and think about him way too much despite me having a boyfriend. I texted him a few days ago, and he said "I am in love with someone else, leave me alone" To me, this was closure. I felt incredibly hurt, because I thought of being with him again. I just wonder if he thinks about me as much as I think of him. It has only been 6 months and a bit. I feel like I take comfort in knowing I pop up into his memory as much as he does in mine, but I don't think I do since he is in love with someone new. I have a boyfriend, but I am not in love, so I'm thinking when I am in love, I will finally stop thinking of him. Did he just say that, or does he think of me and just not want to tell me? How long does it take to finally stop having an ex pop into your memory daily. And is it normal that I think of him even though I have a boyfriend. I keep dreaming about him and it makes me feel very uneasy and I recently dug up a box I hadn't unpacked from when I moved from our apartment and it brought up even more memories.

Sorry to hear this. There is a huge difference between remembering someone (which surely he does) and still being hung up.

It seems he's moved on because he is drawing crystal clear boundaries about no contact and he's now with someone. It doesn't matter what he thinks or feels and you do not know how he thinks or feels at this point.

What matters is focusing on your new guy and staying no contact so you can heal and move on. getting over him is a matter of time and resolve to do so, not dating guys to "fall in love" as if that's a magical cure.

Emotional feelings are just like physical things. If you pour salt in wounds they won't heal. There is no magic cure for things. All you can do is take the best care possible and let time and good mental hygiene habits help you.

I texted him a few days ago, and he said "I am in love with someone else, leave me alone" I have a boyfriend, but I am not in love, so I'm thinking when I am in love, I will finally stop thinking of him.

Archived