Stick her in a barrel with a hosepipe on her,

Early in the morning!

To the tune:

[video=youtube;qGyPuey-1Jw] ]

Lol.... .....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes! That's what I'm talking about. ;-) Good job.

Although I did notice something this Monday when I was working I wasn't working for her but just working in the room . I was trying to tell someone where a certain road was to find a certain place and she said yes I can tell them I drive past it every day and she rolled her eyes . So I really am starting to wonder about ability to manage because she feels insecure or threatened or maybe it is that she is a know it all .

this article helped me:

]

This is a good article. I have worked under micromanaging people (my boss is not a micromanager...but I have worked with/briefly under micromanagers).

I personally would not confront. Confronting does nothing. It is really is about their personality/anxiety/insecurity and not about work so you confronting will not do anything.

IME, it's best to acknowledge what they are saying (don't fight it) and then do what you were doing anyway. I'm very up to speed on policy and what I need to do so I am ready to explain myself if someone asks me what I'm doing or why I'm doing something the way I'm doing. In one ear, out the other. Usually, just pretending to listen humors them and makes them feel better.

If what you're doing is the right thing, then she can't say much in the end. If she's that pushy and you're busy doing something else, you can always tell her "I'm sorry, I'm doing x right now, I will be over to do y when I get a chance". This forces her to do the thing she is nagging you to do but she will most likely drop it.

Micromanagers love it when they can control people and/or get them riled up. Don't be riled up, don't confront, and carry on what you were doing anyway. If she gets angry, remain calm. It makes you look like the normal one.

This is a good article. I have worked under micromanaging people (my boss is not a micromanager...but I have worked with/briefly under micromanagers).

I personally would not confront. Confronting does nothing. It is really is about their personality/anxiety/insecurity and not about work so you confronting will not do anything.

IME, it's best to acknowledge what they are saying (don't fight it) and then do what you were doing anyway. I'm very up to speed on policy and what I need to do so I am ready to explain myself if someone asks me what I'm doing or why I'm doing something the way I'm doing. In one ear, out the other. Usually, just pretending to listen humors them and makes them feel better.

If what you're doing is the right thing, then she can't say much in the end. If she's that pushy and you're busy doing something else, you can always tell her "I'm sorry, I'm doing x right now, I will be over to do y when I get a chance". This forces her to do the thing she is nagging you to do but she will most likely drop it.

Micromanagers love it when they can control people and/or get them riled up. Don't be riled up, don't confront, and carry on what you were doing anyway. If she gets angry, remain calm. It makes you look like the normal one.

She has admitted that she is very much a control freak . I think it is me and control freak don't work very well it's nothing really to do with her I like her as a person it's just the attitude . And you're right it is totally about her own personality . And is probably my best bet to ignore it . I guess I should keep counting to 10 .. lol. Because it is my own personality to get my back up when somebody gets in my space . But I know other people are very frustrated with her micromanaging as well . She really is a good person though and I think it's just conflict of our personalities because we are both dominant personalities .

I get it, it's very hard, and I have wanted to say something to micromanagers as well. I too have a more dominant personality and enjoy the autonomy of my job. Most people in my position don't have as much autonomy but my boss is great and she trusts me. At the end of the day, it's just her personality and inclination, has nothing to do with your work or quality of your work. You could be like the Pied Piper of children, herding them better than a prize-winning sheepdog and have a A+ perfect day, and she would still nit-pick you.

What helps me keep my mouth shut is that I realize that it's not personal and they are going to do it anyway, so I may as well shush and pretend to listen, smile, nod, and then go back to my own work. Rinse and repeat.

I recall a story when I was younger about how a boss is getting the big squeeze from a higher up, so he goes to a manager that he employs and takes out his frustration (yells, fusses, nitpicks, insults, whatever) on him. This manger now is cross and he goes to his employee and yells at him. The employee is now cross and feeling small, so when he goes home, he takes his frustration out at his hired lawnmower guy. Lawnmower guy is now upset too...but he has no one under him so he goes home and kicks his dog.

What did the dog do to deserve it? Nothing. You are the dog in this situation. She has something going on in her life, maybe a higher up is squeezing her, or she's anxious, or she has personal crap, or whatever, so what does she do? She micromanages/takes it out on people that she can take it out on (people under her). It's not personal. It's not right of her either, but most people lack self insight to even understand a smidgen of this, even if you were to bring it up.

I am lucky I only need to take her lead on Fridays. Unfortunately ,no ,I can't go to another room because they are all unionized . And you have to have ECE to be in the union . Personally I think my few decades of experience are worth far more than a piece of paper but hey what do I know . So unless I want to go back to school, yet again and get my ECE and then move in 2years and not be able to use it I don't know kind of useless . Our lifestyles are so transient . And I only have a decade more of work to go or less. Depending on how fast my condition progresses .

She tried today with her ordering around . Personally I think it's her way of doing things and my different way of doing things . And she doesn't like it and she wants to control it . I just gave her blank stares the whole time .

Give a slight head tilt, "I'm confused. I've always done X. Is there a reason you want me to do Y?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

UPDATE:

Soooooo this finally came to a head on Friday. She has been relentless about her micromanaging. One of my coworkers went to our boss next level up and said we couldn't take it anymore . So now we have to have a meeting all of us and her . I know I have to speak up at the meeting but I'm not going to like it .

"Thanks so much for your suggestions! So how aobitvee leave it thetvif I need your input or advice I'll ask for it and assume I'm fine and know what I'm doing if I don't. I need to stay calm and pulled together around the children and while I know you intend to be helpful with your interjections it kind of throws me off my game. Thanks ! "

She has sent me the 5th apology text in 6 months about how she is an emotional person and it's really hard for her to hear children cry . Basically it's a difference in how she does things and how the rest of us do things . She wants us to run immediately and distract the child the second they start to cry . And I mean she doesn't even give us 30 seconds to respond , literally, before she's on top of us with her suggestions. I do things differently . I cuddle the child first and let them feel their emotion and then we play when they are calm after some cuddles. I want them to learn to self regulate and she wants them immediately distracted . The way the rest of my coworkers do it is the way that I also do it . And she doesn't like it .

Archived