Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

They keep coming back

alli

I don't know what the deal is. One day everything was fine, then all of the sudden they were there.

My apartment is being taken over by these long skinny bugs. I thought they were pill bugs because I find them curled into a ball, dead on my carpet. But I looked up pictures of pill bugs & that's not it. I'm finding more and more of them alive just chilling in my apartment. My cat is being lazy on his duties of killing them.

I moved into my apartment about a year ago & there weren't any then! I think they came early in the autumn. I thought maybe it was just the season for them. But now it's mid December (granted, a warm one) and they are still here!

I don't know why! I keep my apartment very clean. I vacuum at least once a week. I get rid of old food (though I never find them in the kitchen or up off the ground anyway). The company I rent from sprayed my apartment. It's standard for them to do it for everyone a couple times a year so they didn't do is specifically for these bugs. I thought they would be gone after that but nope! They are still here! I see at least 2, 3, or more of them each day.

I'll post a picture if I can find one online, or take a picture the next time I find one. It's hard to look for a picture online because I hate looking at bugs!

Dear Alli,

I cannot open your picture, but I do have a suggestion. There is this device you can buy called Riddex Rodent Repelling Aid, but it works on bugs as well. It has gotten rid of all of our classroom's mice and cockroaches forever. Uses sonography. There are several brands. I like it because I am sensitive (read: allergic) to a lot of chemicals, and this is chemical-free.

Youareworthy

I don't think it's a result of poor housekeeping as I had a bed bug problem before and I keep my apartment clean. I must have brought them in my apartment unknowingly in infested item or clothing.(I' m not sure) I had to sleep on the couch with lights on since they kept biting me at night time lol. I informed my Landlord and they arranged to treat my bed room with pesticides. Then I washed my bedding, clothes, and towels in hot water & dried at the highest heat setting. I haven't had problem since

That said,The problem with apartment buildings is that some bugs will move from one unit to another so unless the whole building was treated it is likely the problem could still persist.I would talk to the your landlord/building manager . They should be able to guide you and assist you to remedy the problem.It's really hard for us to guide you when we can't see the bugs or know precisely what they are. Good luck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10937[/ATTACH]

I took the pic on my phone & to get it here I email it to myself, download it on my computer, then upload it. When I emailed it to myself this time I made it the smallest file size so maybe you'll be able to see it now? It's weird because when I click on the attachment I originally posted I can see it, but I guess no one else can!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a millipede after I googled pictures of them. We had a really mild winter until recently so I think that's why they stuck around for so long. It's super cold outside now. I was away for the holidays for a few days & since I have returned home I haven't seen any of them, dead or alive.

I don't think it's a result of poor housekeeping as I had a bed bug problem before and I keep my apartment clean. I must have brought them in my apartment unknowingly in infested item or clothing.(I' m not sure) I had to sleep on the couch with lights on since they kept biting me at night time lol. I informed my Landlord and they arranged to treat my bed room with pesticides. Then I washed my bedding, clothes, and towels in hot water & dried at the highest heat setting. I haven't had problem since

Oh that sounds horrible! I had an extended stay at a hotel one summer for work & a guy I knew staying in a different room in the same hotel had a bed bug problem. He had horrible bites all over his back & arms! It seems like they are hard to eradicate so I'm glad you were able to get rid of them! I'll let my landlord know if I start seeing my uninvited guests again!

Oh that's so weird! I never had problems posting pictures before so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I found a picture online that looks very similar:

I can't tell from the pictures how big millipedes normally are, but the bugs in my house are pretty small. Small enough that I can't even see their legs; I only know they have them by the way that they move.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have neighbors that dont keep their apartment clean? That could definitely cause problems no matter how clean you keep your apartment. That was my situation a few months ago at my apartment. My neighbors never kept their place clean(I knew this because i had seen inside their back door when they left the blinds open while my kids and I were outside playing in the back yard). I always keep my place clean and even deep clean at least a couple of times a week. But I still had company..mice. I could hear them scratching in the walls and everything. I was disgusted but since my neighbors moved into another unit, haven't had any problem with the mice since. Can you get some kind of spray specifically for these creatures thats invading your place? If the terminator couldn't get rid of them, maybe there's something else going on? I understand how frustrating it can be. Have you let the landlord or maintenance know about this issue?

Hey Alli - not sure if you solved your bug problem or not, but I recognize these. I live in a tropical climate and they love to find their way indoors if it gets wet or cold outside. As far as I know, you can spray for them and hope for the best; but they are climate bugs and will likely come back.

Archived