Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

I love when companies come out with a "new" version of a product that says "FEWER CALORIES" then in tiny print "than 12 ounce size" when the "new" version is 8 ounces. Bonus points for charging more for the size with "fewer calories".

Yeah, that really drives me bonkers.

I'll pay more, just please making everything smaller and putting weird numbers of product in. I'm looking at you , granola bars - 5. What the heck is that?!

My favorite example of spinning a change in size and quality is a product that was a cherished locally made junk food of my teenage years. They halved the amount of filling and boasted " Now with less mess!".

Having worked with some of the people who come up with the marketing ( not this product, but in food), I can just picture the smug look on the person who came up with this. Aren't I clever? Yuck.

One thing I actually do like -they increased the serving size on the label of the store brand premium ice cream to 2/3rds of a cup from half. I barely eat a half cup but we all know that a typical serving is more than a half cup and better to know what's more typical in terms of calories/fat.

But yes I agree with you -and I will add to that the single serving sizes -yes, for some families and some people on portion control it's convenient but obviously there's an upcharge and what happened to dividing food at home in portions, etc. (exception -I like wrapped string cheese/cheese balls because they stay fresher longer than opening a large package of fresh mozarella, etc).

The annoyance of having to self-talk myself away from staring at an accident waiting to happen and knowing "I am not his mom" which is only compounded by my son saying "look what [D] is doing!!!" (first grader balancing on a stair railing several feet above the concrete below right before the school bus is set to arrive, yes in full view of his mother) and me replying broken record style "I see. I'm not his mother though."

Of course there was the annoying time my son fell out of his favorite tree and was fine and as a parent sitting a few feet away I wanted him to show his resilience and get up and handle it (and come to me if he needed to be cleaned up, etc) only to be judged by another mom I didn't know explaining to me that my son had fallen with the "how can you just sit there" look. Annoying because it's a tough call and annoying to be implicitly judged. (Yes, he cried, yes, he was fine, yes he climbed the tree again minutes later).