Online paranoia?

munchausen

I've been talking to this girl online for a while now, we are due to meet up quite soon and I have recently found out that while we have been talking online she has been lying about her location to me. Not in a sense that she's in a different country but that she's in a different town not very far from the one she originally claimed to be from. She's told me up front before she's due to meet me and explained she was apprehensive about giving out location information online as she is a bit paranoid about who might be on the other end of the computer screen. From what I can tell on her facebook profile it's literally the only thing she's lied about and was forward enough to set the record straight before seeing me in person, even going as far as to say that if her paranoia has put me off then she understands completely.

What do you guys about this, does it seem like a big deal?

I would probably do the same thing. Actually I have done the same thing. On Facebook a couple years ago I listed the city I live in as a large city about 30 minutes away, because the one I actually lived in was extremely small and it would be very easy for anyone to figure out exactly where my house was located if I listed the name of the small town. Safety first.

No, I wouldn't take it as a big deal, because I know for a fact that there are many psychos on these dating sites, and it's always smart not to disclose too much info until you meet the person and have at least a vague idea that they are normal.

She's being smart and trying to keep as safe as possible under the circumstances. That's a plus, not a minus.

You are not a woman and so don't have the same considerations to worry about.

I was always very understanding on a woman's apprehension in giving out to much information to soon. After all you are a total stranger she hasn't even seen in person yet. Just because you met online doesn't mean she should be less cautious, in fact in means she should be more so.

Be understanding, she did it for her safety, not to deceive or trick you.

Lost

No I wouldn't. I can handle myself in all kinds of situations so I don't have the fear factor women can have. It is like apples to oranges, just not the same.

I wouldn't put my address on a profile but of course my city would be accurate. Heck even on here I put my state.

There are some seriously creepy guys out there and people often don't understand that guys in prison can get access to dating sites and chat rooms.

She was being cautious, not paranoid.

Lost

I think the girl is smart. If you've ever been stalked or know someone who has you will totally get why someone might not want to give out their exact location.

It's a very good sign she trusts you enough to have told you this, this is not a red flag but rather her just taking precautions.

When I was dating and doing online dating no one got to know where I lived for the first several dates, even. I'd usually arrange to meet them in another town. Online dating is a crapshoot and you never know what's going to happen. I had one guy go ballistic on me in a restaurant and threaten to hit me, another one tried to follow me home--both times were scary, so after that I got really cautious about giving away too much before I'd had a chance to meet the guy in person to see if they seemed safe. And for me that comfort level usually took a few dates.

Sorry, a girl can't be too careful. And most guys probably should be more careful too. Go on that date in a public place and see if you both like each other, then take it from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived