Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What are you listening to? Part 13

pinballwizard

"Yo contigo, tu conmigo" by Morat ft. Alvaro Soler

Spanish and a bit campy, so might not be everyone's taste, but this popped up while I was listening to the radio while cleaning and I started killin' it. I'd post a VEVO link but it's not accessible for US.

[video=youtube;vqdfQ6QZWc0] ]

SBTRKT - New Dorp, New York

New Dorp is a neighborhood in Staten Island, located along the South Shore. It was devastated by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. I surveyed that area in 2014, and people were still living in totally gutted homes--totally forgotten by the rest of the world. Many houses had been completely destroyed. Same with South Beach, Midland Beach, and Oakwood Beach. Same with beach towns in Rockaway, NY and in NJ. But I think Staten Island had the highest death toll from that storm, mainly from drowning.

Anyhoo, that was a cool song. You can see references to Staten Island in the video--the beach bungalows, the verrazano bridge, the ferry.

Phil Collins

I Wish it Would Rain Down

I really like this melancholy song.

I don't think I've ever seen the video before today. It's really cute.

Song starts at 2:30. Volume seems a bit muted.

The bassist looks like one of the crane operators at my job site.

[video=youtube;YcY3FH208l8] ]

New Dorp is a neighborhood in Staten Island, located along the South Shore. It was devastated by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. I surveyed that area in 2014, and people were still living in totally gutted homes--totally forgotten by the rest of the world. Many houses had been completely destroyed. Same with South Beach, Midland Beach, and Oakwood Beach. Same with beach towns in Rockaway, NY and in NJ. But I think Staten Island had the highest death toll from that storm, mainly from drowning.

Anyhoo, that was a cool song. You can see references to Staten Island in the video--the beach bungalows, the verrazano bridge, the ferry.

I knew it was a city there, but didn't know about the Sandy damage

This song came out when I was 11. Everyone liked it. I remember we were all surprised to find out that Tracy Chapman was a woman, because her voice was so low.

When I got to be a little older, in my teens, I found that I related to the "breaking-free" theme of the song, conveyed so well in the music of the chorus. It wasn't until my 20s that actually listened to the lyrics and realized that they don't just repeat, and that the song isn't actually about driving fast and feeling free. There's a story, and it takes a turn midway through. And the last line is: "Take your fast car and keep on driving." Somehow these things made the music even better to me.

[video=youtube;uTIB10eQnA0] ]