My life has been destroyed

sidburn

Last week, I had my second seizure in 3 years. I was told basically after my first one that a second seizure is essentially a death sentence because it automatically means epilepsy. Today I was officially diagnosed with epilepsy, although the doctor assured me I could live a normal life as long as I took the meds he prescribed. I looked up these meds and have seen things about depression and suicidal thoughts being among the many possible side effects. And if I go off the meds, I can have a fatal seizure. I know I'm overreacting and that there are worse conditions, but I feel like my chance at a normal life was stolen from me forever last week. I feel like a broken human being. I could've been one of the many one-and-done seizure victims who have only one seizure ever, but no, I had to have another one and be doomed to having a lifelong disease. I may not be able to drive, drink, play video games, ski, live independently, swim, or do God knows how many other things now. I can't pursue a career in the field I want to work in anymore because I'm epileptic. I feel like I received a death sentence today.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine what a shock it must be to be diagnosed with such a life-changing disease.

the doctor assured me I could live a normal life as long as I took the meds he prescribed.

This is not a death sentence.

Don't blame you for being pissed and hurt and scared, but you will learn to live with this. Take some time to regroup and to grieve the identity you envisioned for yourself, but know that you will find a new one.

Hello, I haven't posted in a while. I read your posting and wanted to share my cousin's story. He also has epilepsy. He is married and has a career and a family. My friends would always want to be fixed up with him, and they thought he was shy, but he was embarrassed because he couldn't drive at 16. The girls did not care one bit. I also saw a movie once called The Shell Seekers, and one of the characters was a young man with epilepsy. Part of the story line was a young woman was falling in love with him, but he kept pushing her away because of the epilepsy.

I am sorry you're processing this now. Did the doctor suggest speaking to others who have epilepsy and lead normal happy lives?

He's been destroyed. But we have the technology. We have the ability. We can rebuild him.

It's going to be a huge adjustment no doubt. One of my best friends has epilepsy but you wouldn't know it. She has a few other things wrong as well, but it doesn't get her down. She drives and watches movies and stuff so I guess she has it under control. But she's had a difficult time to get there I'm sure. Sometimes I don't know where she gets her positivity, here I am always going on about my ex and crap, and she has all these issues and is just like "why are you sad all the time? things are amazing!"

Like any big diagnosis like this, it's going to be a while before you can adjust to it - but you can. No one has a "normal" life - everyone has something they have to deal with. When the dust settles, the things that you are unable to do will give you more time to do whatever it is you find you have a passion for.

But yeah that's got to be a shock. But it isn't a death sentance. It's just one of those stupid curveballs life throws at you.

I'm sorry that this has happened.

You're right! You are overreacting. All you have to do is stay on the meds. Just because it lists depression as one of the symptoms - many drugs do - does not mean that you will be affected. The worst thing you can do, is stress yourself out with what ifs.

Take your medicine and live your life!

Besides the meds, look into getting a seizure assistance dog. Although not all dogs can sense an impending seizure, many can. In other words, the right dog with the right training can give you all the things you wish, starting with independence. In addition to that, all dogs can be trained to go push an alarm button to summon help when you are having a seizure at home, alert people that they need to get you help when you are out and about, etc.

Another thing too is find a local support group. You'll find that many do lead successful lives and it's good to know and hear how.

You are most certainly over reacting. One of my closest friends is epileptic. She is on medication and her seizures have been under control for at least 3 years now. She can drive, work and live a normal life.

Her medication prevents her from consuming alcohol.

She is also unsure what she will do if and when she decides to have children as it is not advised for her to go off her medication in the fear she may have a seizure. You will eventually find balance with your medication and get the seizures under control. But it is not a death sentence. The doctors are obviously keeping a close eye on you, so it is what it is. It would be terrible to be diagnosed with such a condition but things will get easier and you will learn to manage it.

My concerns about Keppra are:

- it can cause me to become belligerent and/or suicidal

- forgetting to take a pill or going off the meds could cause status epilepticus

- drinking alcohol with it could be dangerous (I wouldn't go overboard, just a beer or two during social gatherings)

- long-term side effects are unknown

Can anyone help put these fears to rest?

You are most certainly over reacting. One of my closest friends is epileptic. She is on medication and her seizures have been under control for at least 3 years now. She can drive, work and live a normal life.

Her medication prevents her from consuming alcohol.

She is also unsure what she will do if and when she decides to have children as it is not advised for her to go off her medication in the fear she may have a seizure. You will eventually find balance with your medication and get the seizures under control. But it is not a death sentence. The doctors are obviously keeping a close eye on you, so it is what it is. It would be terrible to be diagnosed with such a condition but things will get easier and you will learn to manage it.

I also don't understand how the 3 years I had seizure-free don't count for anything. I felt like I had a very cookie-cutter diagnosis.

Were you not put on medication before then?

No. We assumed that it was a one and done situation and that it would never happen again. My recent seizure did happen the morning after my high school reunion, so I believe that alcohol and lack of sleep are what caused it. If I'm right about that, could it have been a nonepileptic seizure?

I know a woman who has epilepsy and she is on meds and she does everything she wants to do, such as drive a car, raise 6 kids, active in her church and she's a piano teacher at the local music school. She did have to be seizure free for two yrs to get her driver's licence back, but she did it. As long as she takes her meds she's fine.

I am not equating you to a dog but I had a black lab with epilepsy and apparently labs are prone to this. He was on pills and a liquid and went years without a seizure. He was a typical dog, as well. Loved to swim, run, chase a ball, you wouldn't know he had a problem. He took the same meds that humans take.

This is not a death sentence.

I mean aspirin has side effects too. How often have you "coughed up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds" after having an aspirin? The important thing is to know what those things are so if they DO happen, you know it's probably the drug and not something else wrong with you. Then you can get your dosage/medication tweaked.

Archived