Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Suggestions for California?

Hopeful0904

This is a bit of a lighthearted post but I am visiting California in the upcoming months for the first time! I'm super excited and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on places to eat, or attractions to go to if you're from the area or even have visited yourself. I'll be staying in Hollywood but will have a car so not opposed to traveling to different cities, thanks for any input

Google iconic Los Angeles restaurants if you're interested in Hollywood history. It's kind of fun to eat where old school Hollywood ate. Griffith Park and the Observatory are great. A walk down Rodeo Drive is fun. A visit to the Getty Villa art museum in Malibu followed by lunch at Gladstones (or, just eat at the cafe located at the museum) is a good idea, but if you drive you'll need to make a reservation on their website. Westwood is a cool neighborhood to window shop and grab a bite. The Chinese Theater (Google it) is cool. The Famers Market is also fun and you can get great food. Asian neighborhoods such as Sawtelle or Korea town are interesting and have great places to eat. Of course, there's the beach! I recommend Manhattan Beach. Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is nice. There's a great bookstore around the corner from the Promenad called Hennessey & Ingalls. Highly recommend.

Please keep in mind that traffic will be EXTREMELY heavy. Extremely. It took me 45 minutes to go 4 miles in Malibu recently. Plan at least an hour and a half to get to any destination. Also, most cities charge for parking, but the meters do take debit cards.

Hollywood has several great clubs and music venues such as Viper Room, the Roxy, the Whisky, etc.

Weather is perfect right now and should remain nice for the next several months. Hope you have a great time!

The Sawdust Festival in Laguna Beach should be going on during the time of your stay here. Google it and check it out on Facebook. It is a lot of fun. I would recommend going at night. You could check out the beach during the day. Laguna Beach is a really cool place.

Glad that you are coming to California to see how we roll.... chi

If you like getting your groove on and dancing, might I suggest downtown Pasadena. Huuuggeee variety of clubs/dive bars and lounges. Nothing but great vibes there! Tons of friendly people. I heard good things about Santa Monica too.

Personally I steer away from clubbing in Hollywood and Downtown Fullerton. I've had bad experiences with dealing with snobs x.x

And definitely visit the fashion district!! Tons of cute inexpensive clothing (:

I don't think I am biased, but if you can make it down to San Diego, I think it has a much better feel than Los Angeles.

Both are two very different cities. If you do decide to make it down to San Diego, I can offer some ideas. I'd also suggest a day trip to Santa Barbara.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to LA and I absolutely hated it. I grew up in DC... Rush hour traffic is a daily thing... But omg LA traffic is 10x worse. I was stuck in a cab for three hours traveling there from another city that was 45 mins away. Also because the air was so polluted, I came back home with a horrible sinus infection. The one thing I remember when flying out of LAX was how smoggy and yellow the air was.

I had a coworker who once lived in San Diego and she desperately wants to go back. She tells me the people were super friendlier and how it is honestly one of thee better cities of California. You definitely won't get a friendlier crowd in LA.

• 2 weeks later...

How exciting. I am flying to San Diego and will be driving to San Francisco via LA (I have 8 days to do this). I only plan to spend 2 days in LA and leave town on day 3 around noon to avoid the rush hour traffic when I try to get out.

Happy to share my list I've compiled so far (gathered from friends who have either visited or lived in the area before).

I second what the others say about San Diego. It is a very nice city, people are friendlier, and the traffic is less hectic. There is a vibrant downtown with lots of good restaurants and things to see and do.

The drive from SF to LA is doable. It is about 6 hours if you take the non-scenic highway (I-5) or about 10 hours if you take I-101 (the scenic highway).

There is a lot of stuff to do in LA too, but the traffic and transit times between places is gonna drive you up a wall.

Archived