Thank you gift for uncle

What would be a good thank-you gift for my uncle? I want to get him something that he can use and think of me. He is retired, so not sure what to get him. I'm willing to get him something really nice. I had a great time with him and this time I insisted on paying for half the stuff we did (restaurant meals, movies, etc). Even though he is retired, he still freelances as a financial/stock analyst. I could get him a nice, expensive pen, or a new briefcase bag. Not sure. I feel bad that I sprung my visit upon him with only about a week's notice, and I want to show him how much I appreciate him, especially since I probably will come back out to HK next year.

First of all, it's really nice of you to do that.

What kind of person is he? Is he interested in anything particular? Maybe you could get him a chess board or a watch. Or, if he's into that, maybe you could get him a nice painting or an interesting book. It doesn't have to be anything expensive, just to be enough that he knows you were thinking of him.

His hobbies are more nature walking with his son, jogging, and taking pictures. He and his son both have really nice cameras. Not sure about a watch because from the watches I've seen him wear, they are really $$$ and he has 2 different ones. I know he likes watches, just not sure if I could afford something he might like.

I'll think more about it and see.

Annie, when you sent the package to Hong Kong/China, did you have it insured and did you send it regular mail? I know my mom and my uncle do send packages to each other on occasion, and I don't think they were ever lost. If I do send my uncle a package, I'll probably send it Fed-Ex or UPS and it will be insured. But thanks for the heads-up

His hobbies are more nature walking with his son, jogging, and taking pictures. He and his son both have really nice cameras. Not sure about a watch because from the watches I've seen him wear, they are really $$$ and he has 2 different ones. I know he likes watches, just not sure if I could afford something he might like.

I'll think more about it and see.

Annie, when you sent the package to Hong Kong/China, did you have it insured and did you send it regular mail? I know my mom and my uncle do send packages to each other on occasion, and I don't think they were ever lost. If I do send my uncle a package, I'll probably send it Fed-Ex or UPS and it will be insured. But thanks for the heads-up

I sent it regular mail. Good idea. No, I didn't have it insured. It was a piece of lab equiptment (non-hazardous) which I guess must have looked strange to anyone who opened it. I sent it again, but the next time I sent it in a candy tin, and it got there safely, haha.

Archived