Opinions about IUDs please?

Update: I've been off panty-liners for nearly a week. I have another doctor appointment in March for something unrelated, but she'll be checking up again to make sure everything looks okay. Still get rare cramps, but livable. So I'd say I'm "symptomless" nearly 3 months after the insertion. Not bad, I guess.

• 5 months later...

Can i ask how it is now? I'm getting one next week and dreading it a bit.

Been on the pill for years but am now taking carbamazepine for trigeminal neuralgia and that stuff lessens the effects of the pill and have crazy break through bleeding now, so doctor advised mirena.

I'm a little nervous for the procedure though.

And wonder how it is months after.

I don't care about sex since I'm single so i could care less if the guy feels it or not lol, but i do hope the period stops since on the pill i only let it come every 3 months and i love not having a period for a long time so for me it would suck if i get one every month.

It's fine. I don't feel it and I haven't had a period. I feel as though I may have had PMS a handful of times, but no blood. I do, however, sometimes get some clotting - like the uterine wall lining had been shed as if on a period, but didn't create blood with it.

One weird thing, though, and I'm not sure it's related - if I get overly full or have a full bladder, I get pelvic pain around the area that my ovaries are. It didn't start happening until I got the IUD, so I'm assuming that's why.

I couldn't find any stories to back up my reasoning, though.

Can i ask how it is now? I'm getting one next week and dreading it a bit.

Been on the pill for years but am now taking carbamazepine for trigeminal neuralgia and that stuff lessens the effects of the pill and have crazy break through bleeding now, so doctor advised mirena.

I'm a little nervous for the procedure though.

And wonder how it is months after.

I don't care about sex since I'm single so i could care less if the guy feels it or not lol, but i do hope the period stops since on the pill i only let it come every 3 months and i love not having a period for a long time so for me it would suck if i get one every month.

I've had it for 7 years now, and now I get periods 2-3 times a year. It's amazing.

I read your thread, but didn't know what to say. I hope your treatment goes well.

Well, since we are all updating this...

I had my IUD removed in late May/June. I had one of the more common side effects: slippage. I was having some pelvic pain that did not go away. I thought it was just a cyst but it lasted forever. I got an ultrasound and I saw that my IUD had slipped down and was coming out of my cervix. I had it removed promptly. It wasn't that bad. No idea why it slipped.

Anyway, I'm back on Yaz now and I'm doing okay. I think the IUD is great and I have no regrets. Had it not slipped, I would still have it. I trust it far, far more than I trust the birth control.

At least good to hear that there are a lot of positive experiences.

Didn't want to make a new thread about it since this was still fairly recent, and i already feel less nervous about it. Not scared of the pain since i have experienced a lot of pain so that will fine. Will see how it goes!

Will be nice not to think about the pill anymore!

Can't you get a new one? I've read stories of women who lose them or they slip and they remove the old one and replace it immediately.

Think it will be nice to get a lesser hormone dosage in my system. Been on the pill for so long that i wonder what kind of person i will become without it haha

I would have but I was having trouble with cysts and I believe the IUD was making my cysts worse (I have PCOS and this can happen to some women) so it made more sense for me to go back on a low dose pill. So I'm back on Yaz and it's okay. If my cysts weren't worse, I definitely would have gotten it again!

Archived