Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Flying around Thanksgiving?

blackgnat

I'm going on a long trip to visit my best friend in Australia and right now the best prices are looking to be Thanksgiving week.

With my work schedule, the ideal day for me to travel would be the day before Thanksgiving. I just read that that's one of the worst days to fly.

I would be going from Chicago O'Hare to Los Angeles, then on to Australia.

My question is-has anyone travelled on this day? And if so, how bad WAS it?

I have done a lot of travelling and to me there's ALWAYS a lot of waiting around and impatient people. To those who have done it, is it THAT much worse, the day before TG?

Going afterwards would jack the price up. Going before would interfere with my work schedule, but that wouldn't be a massive problem. just more inconvenient.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

Can I ask what makes it the worst day to fly? Is it because there will be so many other people travelling?

I am in Australia & flying to Vegas on the 17th Nov, and flying back home on Thanksgiving day, and didn't even think or factor in the amount of others flying lol

Thanksgiving... (the Wednesday or the Thursday) is an extremely busy day to travel. Worse than Christmas because everyone is coming and going at once. Might be too late for you but you should apply for TSA pre-check...less line ups and hassles. If you have to fly, try to do so on the first flight of the day 6:00 am. Ive travelled to Australia via LA, and usually these long flights are on-time.

It's very stressful....tons of people, lots of running around, etc. If you can get a good deal on tickets, great. I would purchase some travel insurance though, if it's not too expensive. That way if your flight is cancelled/delayed and you need accommodations, you won't be totally SOL.

Assuming that your flight is on time and no real bad delays though, it's not that bad. Keep your luggage close, get enough sleep, charge up your electronics, and be prepared for tons of angry people.

It is the WORST! As is 2 days before Christmas. The flights are absolutely packed, there's no option for upgrading to business at the kiosk like usual. And there's many more children on flights.

I recommend if you can afford it, that you purchase business class tickets. After elbowing your way through O'hare and LAX you will be extremely glad that you have a little extra arm and leg room(and less likely to deal with so many kids).

Archived