Anothe check question

Yesterday my dad wrote a check to me and went to the bank to deposit in my account (he's done this a few times for me before in the past). Deposit posted to my account overnight. Today, I go online and check on the deposit (with my bank, I can see the deposited check and the deposit amount). I see that my dad forgot to sign the check where the payor is supposed to sign. I did call my dad right away to let him know. He said he will check on it today. I'm surprised the teller didn't catch the unsigned check.

For those of you who work in a bank or have banking knowledge, will the check come back as a bounced check or returned check?? The check is good.

Actually nothing may happen. Checks are all auto processed these days so if they pass the scanner they just clear. They will rarely look at dates, signatures, or any of that unless the person who wrote the check says it's a forgery and shouldn't be paid. In that case they would back the check out.

Thanks for the answers. Avman, I hope that is true. I was surprised the teller didn't spot the missing signature.

I'm not surprised at all. I've had tellers deposit checks into the completely wrong account and had to go back in and make them correct it. It is not a high paying job so I am more surprised when things go perfectly then I am when things go wrong.

Many of these checks are autoprocessed these days so like others said, the funds may hit your account and you won't have to do anything. I've cashed signed but undated checks (that's another no-no) and they went through without a problem. I think as long as there is no dispute on the other end (obviously there wouldn't be, it's your dad) then it shouldn't be a problem.

Archived