What to do with old engagement ring?

Firiel

So, I'm thinking of selling my old wedding band. I have no emotional attachment to it, and I could use the money. I've always planned on selling it eventually.

However, I really don't want to sell my old engagement ring. I have always loved it and somehow managed to find exactly what I want. It's not a diamond, so it doesn't scream ENGAGEMENT RING. But I'm not sure if I will ever be able to wear it again without the emotional baggage that comes with it, even though it would make a good right-hand ring. And I don't wear jewelry that much anyway. Some folks have suggested turning the stone into another piece of jewelry, but the thing is... I really like the ring. The whole thing. The way it looks and works together as a piece. I've included a pic of it below for reference. I don't want to get rid of it, but right now it's just sitting in my jewelry box gathering dust...

image removed

Well, the way I see it, you have a couple of options.

1) Keep the ring until you don't have any emotional attachment to it (if that happens) and then see how you feel.

2) The style of the ring is very nice. I know you like the ring but if you had a similar style of ring, would that make you happy? If so, keep photos of the ring as a reference (for a future ring) and sell the engagement ring.

There are some pieces of jewelry I've been able to keep, and then there's one piece I just knew I'd never be able to deal with again without feeling sour wearing it, it any form.

It is a really gorgeous ring, I love it. I would say, put it away for another year or so and see how you feel about it then. It's taking up next to nothing for space, so why not just hold off for awhile since you love it so much?

It's a beautiful ring. I would put it away in a special box for a bit, and then bring it out to coincide with a landmark event in your life, some change or transformation of your choosing to create new meaning and symbolism connected with it. Or create a ceremony to erase any "history" with it, or have it blessed (if that's appropriate). Somehow give it new meaning for you, if you keep it.

It's a beautiful ring. I would put it away in a special box for a bit, and then bring it out to coincide with a landmark event in your life, some change or transformation of your choosing to create new meaning and symbolism connected with it. Or create a ceremony to erase any "history" with it, or have it blessed (if that's appropriate). Somehow give it new meaning for you, if you keep it.

Hmm... I like that idea of giving it new meaning for me, whether by attachment to another event or just through symbolically erasing the history through some sort of ceremony.

And it isn't taking up any room... that's something important to remember. I can lug it around for years with no effort.

I like the idea of having a ceremony/blessing/event to give the ring new meaning. Maybe the fact that there is some emotional history with it isn't such a bad thing. We as adults all have some emotional history/scars and we don't get thrown away. Our past helps contribute to who we are today, even if it's a little painful. The ring can be a symbol of that.

I like the idea of having a ceremony/blessing/event to give the ring new meaning. Maybe the fact that there is some emotional history with it isn't such a bad thing. We as adults all have some emotional history/scars and we don't get thrown away. Our past helps contribute to who we are today, even if it's a little painful. The ring can be a symbol of that.

Good point. This ring could be a beautiful symbol of life and growth for you, Friel. It could symbolize YOU, how you shine with beauty no matter where you are in life.

I have a promise ring that I love and still have and while I don't wear it everyday I still wear it. It doesn't make me sad. Its part of my history and who I am and the journey I made to get here. I have one other ring that has a relationship connection that is just as special and another one that I bought for myself as a way of celebrating graduating college and passing boards. They are milestones. I would never part with any of them.

What a beautiful ring, yes, keep it for when you feel ready to rededicate it 

i have an eternity band with 3 diamonds that I couldn’t wear for several years regardless of which hand I would put it on because it just wasn’t who I was anymore (I had used it as my wedding band). Yet I didn’t want to sell it because I liked its timeless design. It had been cleaned and repolished but it just sat in the box..

then one day after I had emotionally moved on, I decided to bring it to the jewel store where it had been bought it to have it resized so I could wear it on my middle finger.

And the best – they didn’t make me pay for the resizing!.. my data was in their computer system, so I’m guessing they saw I hadn’t worn it since the cleaning many years before, and wanted me to enjoy what I had bought there..

Archived