Am I being neurotic and paranoid or could I have a stalker?!?!

oitnb

Okay so I've been through a strange set of events this past week. Please excuse any typos I might have I'm shaking as I true this.

First thing. I've been getting strange phone calls from a number for the past two weeks. They speak another language (sounds middle eastern to me) and Hang up after a few seconds. I can't text or call the number back. I finally figured out hair to block the number earlier today. (Which makes what happened tonight even scarier)

Okay and also. About five days ago I let my two dogs outside to use the potty. My back yard had a privacy fence and a gate with a latch. It's a nice day out so I'm letting them wander around the backyard a bit. I open the front door and there are my two dogs out front just waking around. I get them both back in the house and then I go check the fence along the back yard. Some small holes, but nothing anything bigger than a mouse could fit through. The gate is shut and latched. If it was just my pitbull, I would've through maybe she could've took a running sprint and barely cleared the gate. (MAYBE) but it was my tiny shiztu too. So someone HAD to have opened the gate, let them out, and then shut and secured it.

Also. This may not have any relevance but when I opened the front door and saw then out front, my ex's best friends girlfriend was driving by. I've never seen her drive around this neighborhood so that was weird.

And then tonight... Omg I get nervous just thinking about what happens I feel like I'm gonna have a panic attack... Anyways tonight I was using the restroom. My bathroom door was locked just out of habit. I hear a strange rustling outside the door. I assume it's one of the dogs. Then I hear a VERY deep mans voice clear as day say my name. I jump up and grab my phone and call 911.

I hear some footsteps outside my door as I'm talking to 911 and then nothing. House is quiet. I refuse to leave the bathroom until the police come though.

They send like 7 officers and they come and check out the house. Everything's fine. No sign of break in, house is empty.

The only two things they (and I) could find was one window was unlocked, the screen was down though. And as I was double checking everything after they left I noticed the bar we use on the back door as a sort of anti break - in device was up, when it's normally down a night.

I'm greaking out. If anyone had any words of encouragement or anything. Help b

Thank you t I needed to hear that. The police, while polite, definently gave me that "this chick is crazy" look after there was no sign of a break in or anything. My boyfriend is going to stay here. I have weapons I can use if needed. I'm going to change the locks tomorrow

About five days ago I let my two dogs outside to use the potty. My back yard had a privacy fence and a gate with a latch. It's a nice day out so I'm letting them wander around the backyard a bit. I open the front door and there are my two dogs out front just waking around. I get them both back in the house and then I go check the fence along the back yard. Some small holes, but nothing anything bigger than a mouse could fit through. The gate is shut and latched. If it was just my pitbull, I would've through maybe she could've took a running sprint and barely cleared the gate. (MAYBE) but it was my tiny shiztu too. So someone HAD to have opened the gate, let them out, and then shut and secured it.

What I'm having a hard time figuring out is how someone could have got on your property so fast and not been seen. You let the dogs out in the back. You open the front door and suddenly the dogs are in the front. How could someone get in to open the back gate so fast?

I hear a strange rustling outside the door. Then I hear a VERY deep mans voice clear as day say my name.

This would indicate someone who knows you well. Have any of your friends got keys to your house? If not, then again, it makes it hard to figure out how someone got in without any banging around and loud noises. If he knows your name, he knows you. Anyone got a grudge against you in the past?

At least the police know about it now and have it on record. Meantime, maybe change your locks.

"What I'm having a hard time figuring out is how someone could have got on your property so fast and not been seen. You let the dogs out in the back. You open the front door and suddenly the dogs are in the front. How could someone get in to open the back gate so fast?"

The dogs were outside for a good 10-15 minutes. I wasn't near the back of the house to see anyone open the gate. Once I opened the front door is when I noticed they weren't in the backyard. My house is only like 20 feet from the street,

"This would indicate someone who knows you well. Have any of your friends got keys to your house? If not, then again, it makes it hard to figure out how someone got in without any banging around and loud noises. If he knows your name, he knows you. Anyone got a grudge against you in the past?"

Only my dad me and my boyfriend have keys. My theory is whoever broke in, came through the window, and shut the screen and the window before walking toward the bathroom. The window was in the kitchen so if they were very stealthy they could've gotten in without me hearing. Once they heard me call 911 they went to the back door, lifted the pole up, unlocked it and left. That's just my theory though. The scariest part is I cannot think of anyone who would do messed up stuff like this to me.

My ex was a bad guy yeah but I don't think he'd take it this far. Besides him that's really the only person I have bad blood with.

Well, that sounds suspicious.. would this have anything to do with the fact that your ex's dad has been walking his dog by your house? Like maybe this is connected to your ex somehow? Although you did say that your ex's dad lived nearby, so I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions, either.

I don't want to jump to conclusions either but that is within the realm of possibility.

Trust your instincts. If you heard someone say your name outside of a locked door from inside your house that's pretty convincing evidence that someone knew enough to get themselves into your place and go looking for you. And yes, people can get in and out of places without making it obvious if they know what they are doing. I'd like to say you may have imagined hearing that voice, but that's a pretty weird thing to imagine and I have my doubts about that. I am so glad you had that door locked and your phone with you! How scary.

Taking steps to up your security is never a bad thing anyways.Definitely change the locks and if you haven't before look into getting deadbolts and kick plates put on to the doors. Sometimes locks can be picked and/or a key can be gotten from somewhere, but getting through a deadbolt and not being able to kick a door in will often put someone off or they'll make enough racket that you and everyone around you will be alerted that something is up. Keeping your doors and windows locked will also help. Leaving even one unlocked is often all someone needs to get into your house. A good alarm system can help too, but what about the dogs? Do they not bark to let you know when someone is around? If you keep them in another part of the house now is the time to change that, especially at night when they can be an asset to you--they make the best alarms and are often deterrents to people looking for an easy target.

The fact is if you think this is a problem you want to gather evidence as quickly as possible. This can be done in a few different ways. Two of my favorites are to either sprinkle flour beneath windows and back doors or other areas where you and others don't normally go, but you suspect someone may be hanging out OR to water those areas, so anyone stepping around there will leave footprints. Take pictures if that's the case and keep to hand to show police if needed. Also I can't say enough good about the ever-popular nanny-cam. I know these things, because I worked for a women's shelter and of course we saw our fair share of people who were being stalked, so I've picked up a tip or two here and there. If you can get someone on camera prowling around your property the police will generally take that more seriously. Plus then you have the guy on camera.

As to who it might be that's going to be hard to pin down unless you can see and/or get someone on film or visually catch them in the act of being on your property etc.. As hard as it may be not to play the game of "who's doing these things" your better off spending your energy and time on trying to identify and gather solid evidence whether someone is or isn't stalking you. Based on what you find there you can proceed one way or another. Keep us updated and I hope you're okay.

I think your concerns sound pretty warranted. I would have someone stay with you overnight, and if you hear strange things and/or people again, get out! Don't stay in the house, as they could eventually find you. Get outside and run as far as you can. I would also make sure windows and doors are closed at all times, maybe even change locks or something.

What about your Mum? Does she have a key or could she have had a duplicate made? Maybe its someone connected to her seeing as you are not putting up with her crap anymore?

Long shot but you never know?

My boyfriend mentioned that as a possibility. Maybe a drug dealer or someone she owes money. She'd never purposely have me set up like that though. I know that for a fact.

I really started second guessing myself if I imagined the voice or not after the police found no sign of a break in. This was the first time I've called the police over something like this. I always hesitate because I don't want to be that nut that calls the police over nothing. But I know I heard a voice! And light footsteps.

Maybe I could've imagined it if I was already in a paranoid state of mind but I was totally fine and content just enjoying a night to myself. Not worried at all. And then out of nowhere it happened.

I have no idea who it could be and that's what's bugging me the most.....

Thank you for your tips!

I actually read the beginning of this thread last night and just came by to check it ---- and I thought it might have to do with your mother too.

She still has a key....and I would not put it past her.

I don't think it is your ex. And your dogs would have likely not barked at your mother.

Whatever it is...change the locks today.

I'm just gonna throw this one out there. Did you have the fan on in the bathroom?

Sometimes, when I have the fan on, I hear strange noises and words.

I don't have a fan in the bathroom....

This was a voice that said my name. I know that for a fact.

The question is was it a product of my imagination or someone was really out there.

I might've not called the police and went and checked it out myself, if all these strange events hadn't have happened this past week. It's just all too weird to sum up to pure coincidence.... Imo.

Archived