A polite way to tell people my pet is NOT a teachable moment for their kid?

sammi87

I take care of other people's pets for a living. A few months ago, an exotic pet was abandoned with me and I haven't heard from the owner since. Fortunately though, I LOVE her and am able to care for her.

According to vet and trainer, it is good for this type of animal to get out to different places and have different experiences to 1. keep from getting bored, 2.become less fearful, and 3. get some extra time/exercise with me.

I only take her to animal appropriate places- the park, petco ect. The problem is, even if I am in mid-task or mid-conversation, we will literally be SWARMED with people and families wanting us to stop, allow their kid to pet the animal and answer 100 questions. Some days, this happens every minute or two and it makes going about our day impossible.

I am trying not to get so frustrated...I know she is cute. But how would new parent's feel if I walked up to them, asked to pet their baby and asked 12 personal questions??

I have tried giving short answers and keeping a brisk pace to indicate I have other things to do...but people are clueless. Any idea on how to remain reasonably polite while say "Look, I don't have time for this. Why don't you just google it??"

Thanks!

Thanks emma, I've tried that sort of thing and it is easier when I am on the move (though I have honestly had people blatantly follow me for several mins just waiting)... But when stopped...what then? Often I try to keep talking to the person I am with to indicate I don't want to be interrupted...but then I find folks will try to pet anyway (something she isn't ready for) without permission.

Just politely keep moving and if they start bombarding you say "we are on a plan here so must keep moving, sorry"...

This is probably the best way to handle it. Keep moving and if someone tries to pet her, say in a calm, serious voice, "Please don't pet her." If asked why, in the same voice say, "It not polite to touch someones pet without asking." and walk away.

Make a tshirt for the animal that says "please do not pet or touch me" lol

Kind of like a seeing eye dog or something?

I like this idea! A which shirt with black letters, all caps, "DO NOT PET" and a hand symbol in the circle with a line through it.

EDIT: You could also make a shirt for yourself "Don't touch my pig!" Lol.

If someone reaches for your pig, I would just stop them and tell them that she bites. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter. They have no business touching your pig (

If people start asking questions and you don't have time, I would just say that. "I'm sorry, I don't really have time for questions - I have to go. Have a nice day!"

Also, though, I would also recommend taking her to more remote places. The side of a river (which is deserted), the woods, etc.

The truth is, it's not "normal" to see someone walk a pig, so you are going to get that reaction. It's not really fair to get surprised or annoyed when people are surprised. It's kind of like a lady walking around town topless. Sure, you can do that in some places - but it's going to attract attention. So - going to less populated areas will help both your goals of socialization and not being the centre of attention.

This must be what it feel like to be a celebrity!! I agree with RedDress. I think it will be much more effective to say sharply "Don't touch her; she bites" then to say "Uhh, excuse me, please don't pet her". You could put a shirt on her but it might be too late by the time they read it. Have you seen those signs that seeing eye dogs have? Somewhere they have words that ask you not to pet them. Maybe something like that, if you can get it to fit a pig.

That would be tough because I get why you would be annoyed that you can't go two minutes without being bombarded by people. At the same time, I know that I would probably be one of those people. You could try going to less populated places. Or, you could try places where it's normally the same people? People keep routines so over time I would imagine you would draw less of a crowd if you went someplace every Saturday morning at 10am. Over time, many of people there at that time will have seen your pet multiple times and the novelty will probably wear off. You could also pick up your cell phone when people approach & pretend to be having a phone conversation.

True Red, it is not typical to see a pig. However, to use your topless woman example- I may be surprised to see her...but I would not assume it is okay to walk up and touch her breasts or interrupt her conversation with a salesperson to ask her a dozen questions

alli...you would think the cell thing would work. But I have been both in true conversation on the cell AND with a friend I am with...people still brazenly interrupt.

I do think y'all are on to something with the tee-shirt/sign thing. Piggy is still pretty small (enough to carry her at times). But I am seriously thinking of a shirt for ME that says accross the back: YES, I am a pig!

No, I do not like to be pet.

And sorry, but my mom is too busy to talk.

I would tell people "sorry, but this is a rescue pig who is recovering and she is just getting used to new sites and sounds. please do not pet her."

I would not say 'she bites' because someone could overhear you and tell you that you need to leave because of liability.

It would not kill you to answer one or two questions as long as people are respectful of your space. And close the conversation with a "nice meeting you" quickly. After all, if you went to a dog park with a dog, people would ask you all about your dog especially if they couldn't figure out the breed combo. You can't go anywhere with an exotic pet and NOT be noticed. If you tell people things about how to handle themselves around her, they will see you next time and be educated.

I would also suggest that you look for meetups in your area for owners of similar pets.

And if you need to socialize with people, you can't just go out and ignore people. If you don't want the "public", then make it a point to invite a different kind, low key person to meet her every week in a controlled situation - maybe a friend of yours, etc. And when you are more comfortable you can take her around "the public"

Maybe a bit off topic, but even before I was vegetarian, I was unable to eat pig for a long time - knowing how intelligent they are and how cruelly they are raised for slaughter to be eaten. Ironic that a lot of people are fascinated by them, but have no conscience about eating them. I'm not in a position to have one myself, but would consider it if I was.

Just also want to say THANK YOU for caring for this animal which I am sure will bring you a lot of happiness. I hope he doesn't get too big for you as I know of a lot of pet pigs which have been abandoned or slaughtered when they have gotten too big for their owners so I can appreciate how important it is for you to be able to train this creature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sympathetic... I have similar experiences with my pet. I know it's incredibly annoying and instrusive, especially since it's repeated so often (If it was twice a year you probably wouldn't mind as much, right?) But... the people who are bothering you are seeing their first pet pig and they have no idea that you are getting bothered by hoardes of stangers. Think like a rock star or a movie star and try to muster up a little bit of kindness for them and sympathy for their smallness. You have every right to say, sorry, please don't pet her she is in training, and I don't have time to chat right now nice meeting you bye.

I'd be chary of announcing she bites only because perhaps one of the same annoying people might provoke her, get bitten or stepped on, and then file a complaint against you. If you are on record saying you know she is a biter it gets held against you. That''s not really the point, though. The point is, people are bothering you, and you want them to stop. So, you have to tell them to stop is all, because they aren't going to figure it out any other way.

Well, the whole idea of a pig being an "exotic pet" is kind of offensive in itself. That said, if you are out walking and carrying a pig and treating it as though it is a pet, of course it is to be expected that people will treat the whole experience like the circus came to town. Bringing that type of animal out into environments that are not built for pigs at all, seriously, what do you expect?!

Archived